ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Covid vaccine success rates

• 1.  Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-16-2020 09:03

Reports on Moderna's Covid vaccine appear to claim that it is "94.5 percent effective" because their study had 95 positives of which only five were in the treatment group. Is this correct? By this reasoning equal numbers of cases in the two groups would be recorded as "50 percent effective". Leaving aside the small number of cases on which to base such a claim, is this how Moderna is interpreting the results?

------------------------------
    Keith Ord
    Professor Emeritus
    Georgetown University

• 2.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-16-2020 12:26
    Edited by Timothy Sliter 11-16-2020 14:53
    By my understanding, the number is based upon the expectation (derived from the unvaccinated group) that 90 people in the vaccinated group should have been diagnosed with COVID. With only 5 actually diagnosed in the vaccinated group, the vaccine was successful in preventing 85 of the 90 expected infections. 

In the event that the positives in the unvaccinated and vaccinated groups were equal, the efficacy would be 0.

I would be interested in the calculation of the uncertainty associated with that estimate.

Timothy Sliter
    Section Chief
    Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences

• 3.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 08:27
    I think that the uncertainty is the same as for a relative risk.  Say there were 10,000 per group with 5 cases in the vaccine group and 90 in the controls for a relative risk 0.056. The upper bound of the relative risk 95% CI would be about 0.137,, for a risk reduction of 86.3%

With sample sizes so large it almost doesn't matter what number you use for n per group, as long as they are equal. I get almost the same 95% CI if I assume 30,000 per group Or 5,000.

Edward Gracely
    Drexel University

• 4.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 10:37
    Edited by Joseph Romano 11-17-2020 15:46
    I believe the calculation is based on 1 - 5/90, which approximately the 94.5% figure as claimed, i.e.  the percent reduction in cases relative to placebo group.  A standard error can be obtained easily using the delta method. 
    Joe

Joseph Romano
    Stanford University

• 5.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 15:06
    The trial protocol was pulished here, I think.

Reinhard Vonthein
    Universitaet zu Luebeck

• 6.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-20-2020 09:44
    if people are interested in vaccine statistics for covid19, niss has a free webinar on the topic.  link at:

https://www.niss.org/events/copss-niss-covid-19-data-science-webinar-series-statistics-covid-19-vaccine-trials

here's their summary of the event.  -g

glen satten phd
    emory university

***************************************************************************************************************

COPSS-NISS COVID-19 Data Science Webinar Series: The Statistics of COVID-19 Vaccine Trials

Thursday, December 3rd, 2020 12-1pm ET (9-10am PT)

Overview

With early results of COVID-19 vaccine efficacy trials emerging, everyone is eager to understand and interpret their findings. In this session, we will take a deep dive into the design and analysis of COVID-19 vaccine trials, with a focus on Phase 3 efficacy trials. Topics to be covered include the FDA's pre-designated success criteria, varying measures of vaccine efficacy (against infection, disease, or severe disease), the analysis and monitoring strategies described in published protocols, and the search for immune correlates of protection. The session will begin with a presentation from Dr. David Benkeser, followed by a structured Q&A with Dr. Benkeser and Professor M. Elizabeth Halloran. The session will be moderated by Dr. Natalie Dean. Join us for an engaging discussion between vaccine trial biostatisticians.

Participants

Speaker

David Benkeser 
    Assistant Professor
    Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
    Emory Rollins School of Public Health

"At warp speed: Statistics and COVID-19 vaccine development"

Discussant

1. Elizabeth Halloran
      Professor and Director, 
      Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Epidemiology (BBE) Program 
      Vaccine and Infectious Diseases Division 
      Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center 

Professor
    Department of Biostatistics
    University of Washington

Natalie Dean 
    Assistant Professor
    Department of Biostatistics
    University of Florida

Glen Satten

• 7.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 11:25
    I think it's a relative risk/hazard calculation as is often done in survival analysis:
    1-5/90=.944

Juanjuan

Juanjuan Fan
    Professor
    San Diego State University

• 8.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 11:31
    I agree that the calculation is valid in terms of relative risk. My concern is with the wording that it is "94.5 percent effective" as an even split would be recorded as "50 percent effective" on this basis. It has been suggested that FDA would approve a vaccine that was 50 percent effective -  so what is the measure they would use?

Keith Ord
    Professor Emeritus
    Georgetown University

• 9.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-18-2020 13:27
    1-nv/nc=0 if nv=nc.  so if the 2 groups are equal and have equal numbers of cases, the efficacy is 0.

Ellen Hertzmark

• 10.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-18-2020 11:35
    As important as the calculation, the actual protocol is of importance and I have not seen it published.
    I know this would be unethical, but the only way to know  real protection would be to , after randomization to placebo or vaccine, actually have participants exposed in a uniform way. Of course we won't do this at any rate it would be crazy an unethical. But then there are still unknowns like behaviour. There is the chance that placebo recipients felt safe because they think they get the vaccine and they go and party, while the vaccine recipients may participate in the study and then go home and still isolate.

I know that randomization would hopefully take care of this and as many party-goers as isolators would be in each group, yet, the point to illustrate is that we do not know the exposure that the participants have had, and infection is also a function of exposure.

Cheers

Alberto Nettel-Aguirre
    Associate Professor
    University of Calgary

• 11.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-18-2020 12:53
    since my post, i learned from another member that the analysis for the moderna trial was a stratified cox model and the estmand was the hazard ratio.  the member did not say what the strata are, but i suppose demographic/preexisting conditions/geographic.
    in a very short time, such as we have in this trial, the HR is approximately the RR, so essentially the same as i wrote last night.

as for exposure of the trial participants, the only way to assure uniform exposure is in a challenge trial.  essentially all vaccine trials are done in some sort of 'natural' population that just goes about its business, and we assume that randomization will do its magic.

Ellen Hertzmark

• 12.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-19-2020 18:05
    Regarding the Moderna study, it is published online.

Regarding the strata, the protocol says this:
    Randomization will be stratified based on age and, if they are < 65 years of age, based on the presence or absence of risk factors for
    severe illness from COVID-19 based on CDC recommendation as of Mar 2020. There will be 3 strata for randomization: ≥ 65 years, < 65 years and categorized to be at increased risk ("at risk") for the complications of COVID-19, and < 65 years "not at risk". Risk will
    be defined based on the study participants' relevant past and current medical history. At least 25% of enrolled participants, but not more than 40%, will be either ≥ 65 years of age or < 65 years of age and "at risk" at Screening.

More details are available for those who want to read the full protocol. 
    https://www.modernatx.com/sites/default/files/mRNA-1273-P301-Protocol.pdf

Bruce Binkowitz
    Shionogi Inc.
    2020 Chair, ASA Biopharmaceutical Section

• 13.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-18-2020 12:57
    so the fact that they reported 94.5% probably means either that the strata made a bit of a difference, or that the numbers in the 2 arms were different enough to make a small difference in the HR.

Ellen Hertzmark

• 14.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-19-2020 07:12
    If I am not mistaken, the protocol has been made available. Please, have a look at the following pdf
    https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-09/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol.pdf
    Pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod remove preview
    View this on Pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod >

Andreas

• 15.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-19-2020 12:02
    Thanks to all who have sent the links to protocols.

Will be a fun read.

Cheers.

Alberto Nettel-Aguirre
    Associate Professor
    University of Calgary

• 16.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-19-2020 10:13
    Here are the protocols:
    Pfizer: https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-11/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol_Nov2020.pdf
    Moderna: https://www.modernatx.com/sites/default/files/mRNA-1273-P301-Protocol.pdf

[Cristina] [Murray-Krezan]
    [Research Assistant Professor]
    [University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center]

• 17.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-17-2020 22:27
    vaccine efficacy is defined as
    1  -  cases(vaccine recipients)/(vaccine recipients)
           ------------------------------------------------------------
           cases(controls)/controls

assuming that the 2 denominators are large and essentially equal, this basically comes to
    1-cases(vaccine recip)/cases(controls), in this case 1-5/90=85/90.

remember, the numbers are still small and the time has been short.  i would expect that even among the people in the current denominators, the numbers of cases will go up.  if the immunity conferred by the vaccine is short-lived, the computed efficacy would disappear.

Ellen Hertzmark

• 18.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-29-2020 20:51
    Covid-19 Vaccine Clinical Trials are heavily a statistical issue. On the other hand, recent polls suggest that about 2/3 of Republicans and 1/4 of Democrats have doubts and misgivings with taking the vaccine, once it is released for public use. As statisticians, we could help by explaining to the general public the issues involved in such clinical trials, as to help them better understand and become more accepting of this protection against the virus. We can do this by sharing our knowledge and info with our students, colleagues, friends, neighbors, etc. either directly or by way of the local media or the Internet. We are living in difficult times and unless a larger part of the population becomes immunized, either by contracting the virus or by becoming vaccinated, we will not acquire the necessary heard immunity to get rid of this scrouge.

I have tried, in my modest way with the short digression below. I am sure many more colleagues with larger audience capabity and ability, can also help with this.
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/346305686_A_Digression_on_Covid-19_Vaccine_Clinical_Trials_and_its_Consequences

Thanks/jorge.

Jorge L. Romeu
    Emeritus SUNY Faculty
    Adjunct Professor, Syracuse U.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jorge_Romeu

• 19.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-30-2020 06:39
    Thank you for this fine contribution Jorge, I do believe it will be helpful in discussions with some friends and colleagues that I have and I appreciate your taking the time to prepare it. Thank you!

Steven Reagan
    Senior Scientist for Analytics
    L&L Products, Inc.

• 20.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-30-2020 13:43
    When you have low event rates, such as covid 19 rates in a trial with approximately equal sample sizes.  

The best way to think of effectiveness as  E= 100(X2-X1)/(X1+X2)=90%.   X2-Number of Placebos infected X1-Number of Vaccinated infective.

The target parameter is 1-RR    RR=Relative risk: Vaccinated to Placebo.  

If both groups saw an equal number of cases, this would translate to zero effectiveness not to 50%.

Best wishes,

Jon

Jon Shuster

• 21.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 11-30-2020 22:49
    Sorry all.

Correction to my post.

Effectiveness=1-RR (Relative risk)

For a trial with low events like Covid, RR is estimated as the ratio of failures on Vaccine to failures on Placebo.

This part of my formula was correct.. The estimated effectiveness is 

1-(5/95)=94.7%   (Not the 90% cited earlier:)

(F1-F2)/F1       F1-failures in Placebo   F2=Failures on vaccine.  My denominator of F1+F2 was incorrect.

If F1=F2 the estimated effectiveness os 0%.

Jon Shuster

• 22.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-06-2020 11:23
    I disagree with the proposition that the job of statisticians should be to encourage the public to take this new type of vaccine, the mRNA vaccine. Here are some excerpts from the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_vaccine

Given the novel nature of the mechanism of action of RNA vaccines, and their drug delivery vehicles,[2] little is known about the medium and longer-term side effects,[8] however, autoimmunity, and reactogenicity (mainly from the lipid nanoparticles), have been highlighted.[6][9][10]

Before 2020, no mRNA technology platform (drug or vaccine), had ever been authorized for use in humans, and thus there was the risk of unknown effects,[8] both short-term, and longer-term (e.g. autoimmune responses or diseases).[4][10][11] ... In November 2020, The Washington Post reported on hesitancy amongst healthcare professionals in the United States to the novel mRNA vaccines, citing surveys which reported that: "some did not want to be in the first round, so they could wait and see if there are potential side effects",[12] and that "doctors and nurses want more data before championing vaccines to end the pandemic".[12]

This household includes people with inflammatory and auto-immune diseases. In addition, some scientists are concerned about possible detrimental effects on fertility: https://2020news.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Wodarg_Yeadon_EMA_Petition_Pfizer_Trial_FINAL_01DEC2020_EN_unsigned_with_Exhibits.pdf

'Among other concerns, Yeadon and Wodart warn that some of the vaccines may prevent the safe development of placentas in pregnant women, resulting in "vaccinated women essentially becoming infertile."

"Several vaccine candidates are expected to induce the formation of humoral antibodies against spike proteins of SARS-CoV-2," the doctors wrote.

"Syncytin-1 […] which is derived from human endogenous retroviruses (HERV) and is responsible for the development of a placenta in mammals and humans and is therefore an essential prerequisite for a successful pregnancy, is also found in homologous form in the spike proteins of SARS viruses," they continued.

"There is no indication whether antibodies against spike proteins of SARS viruses would also act like anti-Syncytin-1 antibodies. However, if this were to be the case this would then also prevent the formation of a placenta which would result in vaccinated women essentially becoming infertile."

The doctors suggest that because the Pfizer/BioNTech trial protocol says that "women of child-bearing potential" can take part only if they are not pregnant or breastfeeding and are using contraception, it could take "a relatively long time before a noticeable number of cases of post-vaccination infertility could be observed."'

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 23.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 12:11
    There are potential risks from ANY vaccine, not just mRNA vaccines. Are the probabilities of adverse events, or magnitude of harm from those events given that they occur, larger with this technology than with other vaccine technologies. I have no idea. But we DO know something about the probability of having a bad case of Covid, with potentially serious consequences for mortality and morbidity. On top of that, any potential harms from a vaccine are exceedingly unlikely to be spread to other people... unlike catching the virus. We should never evaluate risks from an intervention in a vacuum (unless perhaps we're talking about space medicine). The key question is, how do those risks compare to the risks from NOT doing the intervention? And here, we should consider not just individual risk but risk to all people.

To be clear, I am not arguing for or against immediate widespread deployment of these vaccines. Uncertainty about their safety profiles is real. If I were immunocompromised and able to safely isolate for longer, I probably would not be first in line for the vaccine. But for many, possibly most, people - especially those who cannot comfortably work and shop from home, and perhaps have a high risk of virus exposure - the benefit/risk profile will look different.

As far as potential risks of the vaccine to fertility, that claim appears to have very little scientific support. If not yet thoroughly debunked, debunkification at least has begun. See, for example:

https://edwardnirenberg.medium.com/are-covid-19-vaccines-going-to-cause-infertility-939bbdb62b64

Cheers,
    Scott

Scott Chasalow

• 24.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 13:34
    I am not a fan of the current popular use of the word "debunk" to shut down rational discussion. The doctors who raised concerns about the potential harm of this brand-new technology upon fertility are respectable scientists. They present abundant evidence to support their concerns in their lengthy paper. Another scientist presents evidence that appears to refute the claims in the first paper. That is not "debunking", in the sense of establishing that the first paper was an absurd conspiracy theory. The authors of the first paper may well have arguments or evidence that appear to refute the second paper. And robust science will go on, open to all claims of new evidence.

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 25.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 17:39
    Well, perhaps I could have said "dispute" instead of "debunk". But certainly my goal was not to shut down rational discussion. My goal was to point out not that there is no fertility risk - nobody yet can know that for certain - but rather that the evidence for such risk is extremely light, and there is ample evidence against it. "Abundant evidence" in favor? Where? I have not found any "lengthy paper" from these authors on this topic. I did find a petition by these authors to the EMA asking to shut down vaccine trials. But the issue of fertility was a tiny part of that. If you indeed have such a lengthy paper, please do share.

Your appeal to authority ("respectable scientists") is of doubtful accuracy. See, for example, https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9788407587 (about related and absurd claims by Yeadon) and https://www.nature.com/articles/nbt0310-182 (about related claims by Wodarg). Neither of them seem to be particularly believable. But their respectability or lack thereof does not, of course, answer the question of whether their claims are accurate. Idiots can be right and geniuses can be wrong. The odds are against that, however, and not all claims should be given equal consideration, lest we drown in nonsense. This is an issue with major life-and-death consequences for billions of people, and fear mongering with little basis in evidence is dangerous.

I don't know if Edward Nirenberg is or is not a respectable scientist. But his blog post on the question of covid vaccines and fertility makes a lot of sense to me. Here's a link without a paywall:  https://www.deplatformdisease.com/blog/are-covid-19-vaccines-going-to-cause-infertility

And here's the short version:

"The short version: someone has claimed that the COVID-19 vaccines are going to cause infertility because of a shared amino acid sequence in the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 and a placental protein, which will make the immune system attack both as it can't tell the difference. The truth? This sequence is too short for the immune system to meaningfully confuse it with placental proteins. It's sort of like saying that you are going to be confused with a criminal because you wear a commonly sold red bracelet that was also found on the criminal. It's not realistic. If this were true, we would also expect COVID-19 to cause early pregnancy loss a significant amount of the time. The evidence available to us does not support that this is the case. There is no reasonable basis to believe that vaccines against COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 will affect fertility."

Cheers,
    Scott

Scott Chasalow
    Director, Head of Translational Bioinformatics Methodology
    Bristol Myers Squibb

• 26.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 18:14
    "Your appeal to authority ("respectable scientists") is of doubtful accuracy." However...

"See, for example, https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9788407587. Click or tap to follow the link.">apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9788407587 (about related and absurd claims by Yeadon) and https://www.nature.com/articles/nbt0310-182. Click or tap to follow the link.">www.nature.com/articles/nbt0310-182 (about related claims by Wodarg)." That looks a lot like an appeal to authority...

By the way - have any phase 3 or phase 4 trials been done on the vaccine? Statisticians might want to see the data before staking their professional reputations on arguments from their authority.

Cheers!

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 27.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 20:52
    No. Nowhere in my comments have I suggested you should believe me, or the articles I site, because of who I am or who wrote them. Feel free to judge them instead on the merits of their arguments. So no, my comments are not anything "like an appeal to authority". I'm not sure to which statisticians you refer, but if they are busy staking reputations based on appeals to authority, I am not among them.

And yes indeed, phase 3 trials not only are underway on several vaccines but recently have reported out initial, very promising, efficacy results. As surely you must know. The real question of import here: how much follow up for safety should societies require before the clear benefits from reducing infection probability and disease severity outweigh any remaining uncertainty about safety risks? That is a value judgement subject to reasonable debate.

Cheers,
    Scott

Scott Chasalow

• 28.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-07-2020 21:00
    The most important party to participate in that debate is the individual, who knows his or her health profile better than any statistician, who will focus on the average outcome. Households like ours, with a higher incidence than normal of inflammation and auto-immune diseases, are going to choose to let the statisticians go first.

Cheers!

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 29.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-10-2020 08:47
    Against my better judgement, a few comments:

Yes, Phase 3 trials of all the major vaccine candidates have been done or are underway.  Pfizer and Moderna (among others) have posted their trial protocols publicly, and several clinical trial statisticians on Twitter have been actively discussing them for several weeks as information has trickled out about the interim results that have been disclosed.  

At this time, only topline data from press releases are available (a bit of a sore spot to some, yes, but my understanding is that this is largely driven by concerns about insider trading which require the company to disclose such knowledge) but a full regulatory review is underway for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, at least.  I am unsure when the next candidates will get to that milestone.

By the time any of the vaccine candidates are available to most of us, I expect that full regulatory filings and accompanying peer-reviewed publication(s) for each will be available for you to personally examine the data, if you choose.

I find it a bit humorous and disappointing that a member of a professional statistical association, someone who I'd have hoped would be better equipped than the general public to understand this issue, found the time to read a Wikipedia page and related generalized skepticism about RNA vaccines but didn't have the time, inclination, or knowledge to answer their own question about whether Phase 3 trials are being done.

Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Assistant Professor of Medicine
    Center for Research on Health Care Data Center (CRHC-DC)
    Center for Clinical Trials & Data Coordination (CCDC)
    University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
    200 Meyran Avenue, Suite 300
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Email: ada62@pitt.edu
    Twitter: @ADAlthousePhD

• 30.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-08-2020 08:39
    It is disappointing indeed that a member of a professional society expects all other members to think in lockstep. Geocentric universe?

Cheers!

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 31.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-08-2020 09:02
    I said nothing at all about a requirement to think in lockstep.  I simply expressed my disappointment that someone who cared enough to discuss vaccine safety and/or efficacy in a public forum would ask such a basic question (whether there are phase 3 trials of the vaccines) when the answer is readily available to anyone who can perform an internet search.  These trials have been widely reported on and the protocols are posted on the respective sponsor websites - for example, Pfizer:

https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-11/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol_Nov2020.pdf
    Pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod remove preview
    View this on Pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod >

(this is the first hit for a Google search of "Pfizer vaccine trial protocol")

Moderna:

Microsoft Word - mRNA-1273-P301 Protocol.docx (modernatx.com)

(this is the first hit in a Google search for "Moderna vaccine trial protocol)

Incidentally, for those interested in some of the publicly available information about the vaccine trials, here is a link to the FDA briefing document on the Pfizer vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download
    Fda remove preview
    View this on Fda >

Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213

• 32.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-08-2020 13:19
    You will need to go shopping for more disappointment to replenish your rapidly diminishing supply. My understanding is that phase 3 trials are underway, but they are not complete.

Again, professor, this household suffers from severe inflammatory and auto-immune challenges. We prefer to do our own thinking about when the vaccine is right for us.

Cheers!

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 33.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-09-2020 09:00
    I served as division director for biostat in CBER and signed off on many reviews for vaccines. the transparency associated with these covid vaccines is amazing. i have seen 4 protocols posted for all to view. I downloaded the two briefing documents for tomorrow's advisory committee with a lot of analyses. FDA opens the datasets to look and does not rely solely on the manufacturer's analyses. 
    i have never seen a product approved at FDA with all the answers in place and i have been in all 3 medical centers at FDA. these vaccine trials are all large but we have on occasion seen even larger studies, to rule out a rare safety concern. there will be postmarket studies and likely additional trials. 
    the government will likely not mandate vaccines broadly. however, if you work in a hospital, your employer may decide you need one. this is done with flu vaccines now. 
    the pfizer vaccine trial included diabetics. according to the writeup from FDA for tomorrow's meeting, there were not enough HIV+ patients to draw a meaningful conclusion. HIV and other conditions that imply issues with the immune system will get addressed over time. Today there was an article in the UK suggesting that folks with severe allergies are not great candidates for the pfizer vaccine. for issues like fertility and pregnancy outcomes, fda will ask for more studies (it is in the briefing document but the advisory committee will weigh in). if the vaccine causes issues with placentas, it would likely result in miscarriages.  there were only 23 women in the study that were pregnant and it wasnt clear, given the study duration and these few subjects that much can be said.
    Statisticians can be helpful in explaining terminology and perhaps something about the good and bad points of conducting a clinical trial. but a decision to take or not take a vaccine is best left to you and your medical professionals since your individual medical history may matter. 
    If you take a vaccine, keep track of which vaccine they give you and the date(s) you got each shot. If you have an issue you think is related, report it to your doctor and see if they will report it to FDA using their adverse event reporting system. I wouldnt worry about a sore arm or a mild fever because these will be well characterized in the phase 3 trials. these usually disappear in a few days. 

As for the pfizer vaccine, the results looked impressive to me. i do wonder how the requirement for specialized cold storage would weigh in. In the UK, people in nursing homes were among the first to be vaccinated but Pfizer has an age cap of 85 years in its study and i am not convinced nursing home residents, with all their comorbidities, are represented in their trial. So we will likely learn more about this population as well over time. 

Estelle Russek-Cohen
    Retired FDA Statistician

Estelle Russek-Cohen

• 34.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-09-2020 13:40
    thank you, estelle, for returning this thread to a professional and informative level.

Ellen Hertzmark

• 35.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-09-2020 14:17
    Here is more useful information for professionals who have specialized health concerns:

Nurse in vaccine trial gets 104.9 fever

Four vaccine volunteers develop Bell's Palsy

Two vaccine volunteers develop anaphylactic reaction

The first and third reactions can be fatal. If you have any inflammatory or auto-immune disorders, as our household does in abundance, please do your own research as well as consulting with a medical professional regarding this new type of vaccine.

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 36.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-10-2020 09:23
    Estelle,
    Thank you for the inside scoop.  I have been impressed with how efficiently the agency and the sponsors have been in preparing for a COVID vaccine.  Thank you for your years of service.

Susan Spruill
    Statistical Consultant

• 37.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-10-2020 10:23
    Better, more ethical,  yet still simple study design should have been utilized. Both Pfizer and Moderna were going into Phase 3 near the same time.  Someone dropped the ball.

With Pfizer and Moderna trials ahead of the pack, a superior design would have randomized patients to three groups.  (Pfizer, Moderna, and Placebo).  They would have needed about 60,000 instead of 80,000 and about 20,000 on Placebo instead of about 40,000.  At the design phase, it would have been great if a direct randomized comparison between the two companies could have been achieved to compare relative risk (Pfizer:Moderna) and side effect profiles.  In retrospect, the efficacy part may have been unnecessary given the two home runs, but the key side effects must now be compared via external comparisons, a big drawback.

So it is exciting we have vaccines, but we can take no pride in how we got there. Big Pharma took the driver's seat, instead of the public.

Had I been asked, which I was not, I would have vehemently recommended the three arm strategy,

Best to all,

Jon 

Jon Shuster

• 38.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 12-08-2020 09:25
    I wonder, did this discussion also include similar concerns that infection with SARS-CoV-2 will result in an immune response that would put pregnancies at risk and result in auto-immunity issues for placental tissue?

Kevin Cummins
    Senior Statistician
    UC San Diego

• 39.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 05-11-2021 02:29
    Edited by Thomas Schmitt 05-11-2021 02:29
    Is anyone aware of more discussion/articles on this topic, especially from members of the ASA community. The only one I could find so far is this: Outcome Reporting Bias in COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine Clinical Trials

• 40.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 05-11-2021 07:25
    Two comments:

I don't understand their p-values for the relative risk reductions. How can a 95% CI of 90-97% have a p-value of only 0.016? With a null hypothesis of 0% reduction, the p value would be much smaller.

Secondly, their main point is well taken in that absolute risk reductions are important. But mainly if your decision whether to implement is based on an individual-level risk benefit analysis. You have to vaccinate in the neighborhood of 100 people to prevent one case. Knowing that, you could balance the harms (some people getting nasty side effects) against the gains (preventing one case per 100 people vaccinated, with that one case having some chance of serious illness and death).

And, of course, this calculation is heavily affected by the current incidence of the disease.  The number of vaccinated people to prevent one case will decrease as cases increase, and increase when the disease is rarer.

But with an infectious disease and the goal of stopping the infection population-wide, The individual level calculations are less useful. We need to know if the vaccine will reduce the reproductive rate (R) of the virus enough to help control it. That calculation is based on the relative risk reduction, not the absolute risk difference. Vaccinating everyone with a 90% effective vaccine multiplies R by 10% (or, reduces it 90%). That's what we need to know.

Since most diseases we vaccinate against are rare, the absolute risk reduction for vaccination is usually small. That's OK. Our purpose isn't protecting just that one person, but in controlling the infection population-wide.

Edward Gracely
    Drexel University

• 41.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 05-11-2021 07:55
    A few additional comments following from Ed Gracely's:

1) On your point about trying to re-create the p-values: though I have not fully re-created the calculations myself, please be advised that the COVID vaccine trials are generally not testing against a null hypothesis of 0% efficacy but against a null hypothesis of <=30% efficacy.  This is because the US FDA had set a target of vaccines requiring to prove a minimum >30% efficacy to receive approval (the rule was actually something like "point estimate showing >50% efficacy with a lower 95%CL bound>30% efficacy" if I recall; as it turns out, several have exceeded that by quite a bit).  That may partially explain your difficulty in recreating the calculations, though of course to fully recreate them you should read the sponsor's statistical analysis plan and ensure that you are using the same statistical approach.  Some may prove difficult to fully recreate without individual patient data if they adjusted for baseline covariates - at least one of the major vaccine trials did this, I forget which one.  Note that they also applied various interim-analysis and alpha-spending strategies which may affect this if they are reported p-values that have been adjusted to account for the interim looks at the data (though usually it seems sponsors report the unadjusted p-value and simply compare against the adjusted threshold for success).

2) On the more general subject of the "absolute risk reduction" from vaccine trials, this line of argument is advanced by people that clearly do not understand the trial designs employed for vaccines.  I wrote a piece for Medscape about this...admittedly this requires an account but I believe it is free to create a Medscape account with an email address:

Why Number Needed to Treat Can Be Misleading for Vaccines (medscape.com)

I will briefly summarize the key point here.  The vaccines are designed using "event-driven" analyses, meaning that the analyses are performed when a certain number of cases of the primary endpoint have occurred.  This imposes a "cap" on the "absolute risk reduction" that even *can* be observed in the vaccine trials; if you actually look at the number of participants enrolled and the # of events at which the analyses were scheduled, it's impossible for any of the vaccine trials to show more than about a 1% absolute risk reduction even if all of the cases occur in the placebo arm (e.g. if the vaccine is absolutely perfect at preventing disease).  This is a feature, not a bug, despite a lot of people seeming to think it's some sort of "gotcha!" about the vaccines not being all that effective.  The reason is that for vaccines to be rolled out in time to do very much good on a population level, they need to be rolled out before the entire population has contracted the disease.  If the vaccine trials are required to demonstrate a large absolute risk reduction, they will take a longer time to complete and require a large proportion of the placebo arm to contract disease...but since the placebo arm is likely to *very roughly* approximate the incidence of infection in the general population, this would effectively require that a large proportion of the general population contract disease - e.g. if you want the vaccine to demonstrate a 20% absolute risk reduction, this can only be done if at least 20% if the placebo arm has contracted the disease, which likely would correspond to at least 20% of the general population has contracted the disease - and that's just during the time frame the trial was being carried out (it is more complicated than this, of course, as one might point out​ that the vaccine trial participants may behave differently than the general population, which is one of the reasons why we need a control group instead of just vaccinating people and comparing their incidence to the general population incidence).  The vaccine trials are carried out in a very short time frame using event-driven analyses so they can be deployed in a time frame that allows them to actually have some public health effects before everyone in the population contracts disease.  The "ARR" computed from the vaccine trial must be interpreted in context of the time frame in which the trial was carried out (most of these are just a few weeks) and the incidence in the population over that time frame.  The precise reason we report VE on the relative scale is not (contrary to popular belief) that it overstates protection; it's that we can actually estimate that quantity relatively invariant to the time and circulating disease prevalence/incidence, whereas the ARR cannot be computed or reported without those other contextual factors.

Anyone seriously writing a piece arguing that the vaccine trials demonstrate a small ARR, or that the "NNT" for vaccines is higher than acceptable, simply does not understand the above points about vaccine trial design.  I am sorry if anyone is offended by that level of bluntness but it's a simple fact.  I have encountered quite a bit of this on social media and in the comments of Medscape; my general impression is that those who don't back down after being confronted with this are typically not engaging in good faith, though I believe some also are simply too thick to understand the statistical arguments and public health implications.

Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213

• 42.  RE: Covid vaccine success rates

Posted 05-11-2021 17:52
    Edited by Thomas Schmitt 05-11-2021 17:52
    Thanks for the additional info/resources Edward and Andrew!