ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

• 1.  Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-10-2017 13:26
    4/10/17

Dear ASA Statisticians,
          In connection with occasional comments in ASA Connect about problems pertaining to the over-use/abuse of p values & null hypothesis significance testing (NHST), I'd like to run by the following suggestion to get any opinions. (I don't believe I've ever posted this at ASA Connect before).   
          Some statisticians, including myself, have for years been suggesting that biomed/behavioral science journals employ a "results-blind" evaluation process in deciding whether to publish manuscripts.  I've long felt that this might have beneficial effects in reducing, not only the well-known bias of journals to publish reports with positive results, but also mitigate problems with abuse of p values/NHST. 
          What I mean by "results-blind" manuscript evaluation is as follows:  In deciding whether to publish a manuscript, weight would be given exclusively to (a) the judged importance of the research question addressed in the study, typically conveyed in the Introduction section of the manuscript, and (b) the quality of the methodology of the study, including appropriateness of data analysis methods and adequate statistical power, as reported in the Methods section.  Practically, this "results-blind" process might be implemented by a "two stage evaluation process" whereby the editor initially distributes only the Introduction and Methods sections of a submitted manuscript to reviewers for evaluation.  Only after a provisional decision is made by reviewers for tentative acceptance (or with only minor revision) based on the Introduction & Methods, would the remainder of the paper (Results, Discussion, Abstract) then be distributed to the reviewers for final confirmation of acceptance, & editing suggestions, barring nothing new being discovered in the remainder of the paper that reflects so poorly on the methodology as to contravene the initial acceptance. Journal guidelines to authors would make them fully aware of this practice in reviewing manuscripts.  
          This "two stage evaluation" would have some of the same beneficial effects as "pre-registered" studies, except that it would have the additional benefit of requiring no new burden or change on the part of the authors in submitting manuscripts.  This would also mitigate the problem of researchers not submitting manuscripts for publication because they didn't find significant results, or over-reliance on NHST & p values, or conscious/unconscious cheating to get p values < 0.05, since the authors know their results will have no bearing on determining publication.  Only methodology matters, including their proposed data analysis methods, described & justified in the Methods section.  This would also presumably have a beneficial effect on the "reproducibility crisis" in research. 
          With such a policy, manuscripts would be evaluated on the quality of their methodology, not what they happened to find.  If "no effect" was found, but the methodology was sound, don't we want to know this in order to avoid a positive bias in the literature?   
           I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on this.  Is there something I've missed?  Is it impractical in some way?  Am I being naive about something like this being broadly adopted?  Would it be too difficult politically to implement?  
           Thanks.  

Joseph J. Locascio, Ph.D.,
    Bio-Statistician,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Massachusetts General Hospital,
    Boston, Massachusetts 
    Phone: (617) 724-7192
    Email: JLocascio@partners.org        

"The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer."

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
    addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
    contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
    http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
    but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
    dispose of the e-mail.

• 2.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-10-2017 15:11
    Joseph,

I wonder if you might be interested in the related (but by no means identical) concept of blind analysis described in this article [1].

1. MacCoun R, Perlmutter S. Blind analysis: Hide results to seek the truth. Nature. 2015;526(7572):187-189. doi:10.1038/526187a.

Kind regards,
    David

------------------------------
    David C. Norris, MD
    Precision Methodologies, LLC
    Seattle, WA

• 3.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-11-2017 09:24
    I commend the motivation, but I'm afraid that authors often highlight results in a paper's introduction and abstract.  That complication makes the implementation of the results-blind process difficult.

A recent paper bySmaldino and McElreath implies that the more journals publish reproduction results, the better the influence of incentives on scientists.

"The natural selection of bad science"
    http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/3/9/160384

You'd have to have some influence over journal practices to get them to adopt the results-blind process, but I suspect that the influence would be better applied in trying to get them to publish a couple of experiment replications with every issue.

Edward Cashin
    Research Scientist II

• 4.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-13-2017 09:22
    4/12/17    

Dear Dr. Cashin, 
           Regarding your response to my comment on "Results-Blind Manuscript Evaluation," thank you for your interesting remarks.  
           You note: "....authors often highlight results in a paper's Introduction and Abstract. That complication makes the implementation of the results-blind process difficult...".  Yes, & results are sometimes stated in the title itself.   As I alluded to in my previous comment, the Abstract would also be withheld from reviewers at initial review.  And as for the title & Introduction, the journal's stated guidelines for submission would have to request that authors do not reveal results in the title & Intro.  If they do, the editor would ask them to fix it & resubmit, as editors do now for many other violations of submission guidelines, or the editor would fix it herself if the action is trivial. 
           BTW, I don't think I said anything to denigrate the value of methodologically sound replication studies.  Replication is important, & if we publish primarily on the basis of methodological quality, a well-conducted replication study gets priority over something new but poorly executed.  I've always thought the ideal study is one that replicates somewhat previous findings, but then pushes further into new ground. 

Bio-Statistician,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Boston, Massachusetts 

contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
    but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
    dispose of the e-mail.

• 5.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-11-2017 11:28
    I agree with all said but for one important detail: The use of power to judge the quality of the study. We all seem to recognize the damage inflicted by NHST, yet many continue to endorse the NHST paradigm via emphasis on power.

Small, "underpowered" studies can contribute high-quality data to the overall pool of evidence, and will lead to no distortion if conducted, reported, presented and interpreted correctly with due accounting for their size. It is the misinterpretation and publication bias attendant to small studies that is the problem; these are not intrinsic quality features of the studies, but rather limitations of the authors and the system in which they publish. 

In some topic areas, especially in which data collection is costly, small studies may contain the bulk of evidence, and patterns across the studies may provide important meta-analytic information as well. To obtain an undistorted picture of this literature it will be essential to remove the pressure of publishing studies based on their results or on features that can be accounted for easily by proper analysis. A precise accounting for sample size and thus power is indeed built in to recommended summaries such as confidence intervals.

Simply mandating confidence intervals is not enough however - they further need correct, direct interpretation as indicators of the precision or information content of the study, rather than as null tests. It is the pressure on investigators to come up with decisive findings that distort interpretations, e.g., claiming evidence of "no effect" when in reality the confidence interval covered every reasonably possible effect from none to important (e.g., see European Journal of Epidemiology 2017, v. 32, p. 87-88 for a startling if sadly typical example). This problem is not addressed by blind analysis.

Smaller studies will include the bulk of so-called "negative" results whose absence from the literature is most commonly cited manifestation of publication bias. Of course journals will prefer larger studies, so any effort to reform review and publication should see to it that there is a repository for studies not seen as important or "sexy" enough to be main articles. This need can be addressed via electronic publication of such studies as brief reports or research letters with details in online appendices, provided those reports are indexed in standard resources (e.g., PubMed, Current Index) to allow identification through online searches.

Sander Greenland
    Department of Epidemiology and Department of Statistics
    University of California, Los Angeles

• 6.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-13-2017 09:23
    4/12/17    

Dear Dr. Greenland, 
           Regarding your response to my comment on "Results-Blind Manuscript Evaluation," thank you for your interesting remarks.  
           You note: "....I agree with all said but for one important detail: The use of power to judge the quality of the study. We all seem to recognize the damage inflicted by NHST [Null Hypothesis Significance Testing], yet many continue to endorse the NHST paradigm via emphasis on power. .....Small, 'underpowered' studies can contribute high-quality data to the overall pool of evidence,....". 
            You make some valid points, especially that any journal requirement that power analysis be done, can be seen as presupposing & implicitly endorsing use of NHST, although use of power analysis for precision of confidence intervals may be on more solid ground.  Nevertheless, I would say that all else being equal, if two manuscripts are competing for the same limited space in a journal, the one with the larger sample size (and/or smaller error variance) probably should be given priority. 
            But in any case, the over-riding point I'm trying to make is that good methodology should be emphasized over what the results of a study are.  Or to put it more strongly, what the results turned out to be, should generally be given NO weight at all in the decision as to whether to publish or not.  However, I can't predict all possible contingencies.  In a rare case, in which the outcome of a study is considered of such importance (e.g., scientific, clinical, ethical) that it should be given weight in the decision to publish, the authors can make that case in their cover letter to the editor or perhaps in the Introduction or Methods sections, & the editor would make a decision about that on a case-by-case basis, but even then, I would ask: should an "important" result be reported as a research finding if the methodology is seen as questionable in a peer review?  One could argue that the fact of its importance necessitates especially stringent methodological scrutiny.  I suppose a cost-benefit analysis of false positive/negative results might be relevant in such a case.    
            If our focus is on methodology, and not results, many important questions raised by statisticians regarding overuse & misuse of p values/NHST, use of power analysis, Bayesian statistics, reproducibility, confidence intervals, etc. would be settled, or at least fought, on the playing field of methodology, as they should be, blind to what results are.  If someone wants to argue that NHST/p values, or any other statistical method for that matter, is a valid method, or valid in conjunction with a proposed ensemble of methods, for their particular study, let them do so, in the Statistical Analysis subsection of the Methods section, and let the reviewers then decide about that, not knowing how the results turned out.  Reviewers, and therefore authors, will now have to be concerned with whether use of NHST & p values is valid, at least in a particular application (or are so among an ensemble of complementary methods), and authors will have to defend their use, and not be concerned at all with what the p value turned out to be, e.g., whether < or >  an arbitrary 0.05 cutoff.    
            BTW, you also say: "....Simply mandating confidence intervals is not enough.... they further need correct, direct interpretation as indicators of the precision or information content of the study, rather than as null tests......This problem is not addressed by blind analysis....".   That's right, interpretation of results is found primarily in the Discussion section, but if the paper has passed the Stage 1 screening for methodology & appropriate statistical techniques, any needed corrections in interpretation will hopefully be cited by a reviewer in the Stage 2 review/editing of the Results & Discussion.  It seems unlikely that a manuscript judged acceptable in the Stage 1 review of methodology but later found to contain an apparent egregious error in interpretation in the Discussion section, will have to be declined acceptance because the authors refused to modify or failed to adequately justify the criticized interpretation in requests the reviewer makes for what are relatively minor revisions in an otherwise good paper.     
    Bio-Statistician,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Boston, Massachusetts 

dispose of the e-mail.

• 7.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-11-2017 13:25

My first thought is, excellent idea in theory, but cumbersome in practice. But I can see myself being persuaded it might not be as cumbersome as I fear.

My second thought is, let's think twice before giving high weight to "the judged importance of the research question addressed in the study". One, even low-importance research deserves to be published if it's well-executed. For example, research that breaks no new ground, but adds to a growing body of results in a particular area. Two, research that strikes me as important may not strike you as important, and vice versa.  

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 8.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-13-2017 09:23
    4/12/17    

Dear Dr. Siegel, 
           You note: "....let's think twice before giving high weight to 'the judged importance of the research question addressed in the study'. One, even low-importance research deserves to be published if it's well-executed. For example, research that breaks no new ground, but adds to a growing body of results in a particular area. Two, research that strikes me as important may not strike you as important, and vice versa.  ...". 
            Your point is well taken.  I do not consider my suggestion a panacea for all publication bias.  Being only human like the rest of us, researchers & journal staff may have biases, that I can't go into here, that still remain even under a policy of results-blind manuscript evaluation.  As you note, editor & reviewer opinions about what they think is important & relevant are partly subjective. So, yes, I would say that methodology as described in the Methods section of a manuscript should be given highest priority in deciding to publish.  Even there, of course, personal biases, familiarity, & preferences, are at work, but we are probably on safer ground in discussing math/logic-based scientific methodology, than in making substantive-tied & value-based decisions on "importance."  (I might also mention here that I would consider well-conducted replication studies or exploratory research important, but some reviewers may not).  Nevertheless, reviewers have to be informed as to the background of a study, leading to research questions and hypotheses, which are usually described in the Introduction section of a manuscript, and, given limited journal space, judgment calls may have to be made between studies that seem equally methodologically valid, & those decisions might have to give weight to the perceived scientific impact, clinical utility, non-triviality of findings, etc., evidence for which is provided in the Introduction section of the manuscript.    

Bio-Statistician,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Boston, Massachusetts 

dispose of the e-mail.

• 9.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-13-2017 09:26
    One difficulty is that surprising results -results inconsistent with conventional theory - might be a chance error, but they might also suggest conventional theory is wrong and in need of revision. Serendipity - the discovery of things not originally planned for in an experience - has a large role in science, especially basic science but often applied science as well.

Of course serendipitously observed results may be mere hypothesis requiring corroboration to confirm. But that doesn't prevent them from being publication worthy.

Jonathan Siegel
    Associate Director Clinical Statistics

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-16-2017 18:07
    Confirming what is already well-accepted is often not worth publishing, but a solid refutation of current thinking should be published.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 11.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-17-2017 04:14
    Interesting, good to see these ideas all, but when you discuss "... replication studies or exploratory research..." and "clinical utility," are you concentrating only on papers with statistical methodology in support of physical experiments, say a medical study, for example, but not all kinds of statistical papers, in all journals and proceedings, or am I missing something?   It does not seem that one size fits all, nor that it should. 

If the idea is to break up institutionalized narrow thinking, this certainly is worth considering.  Thanks.

James Knaub
    Lead Mathematical Statistician
    Retired

• 12.  RE: Results Blind Manuscript Evaluation

Posted 04-18-2017 16:20
    4/18/17    

Dear Dr. Knaub, 
           Regarding your response to my post on "Results-Blind Manuscript Evaluation," thank you for your comments.  
           You asked for clarification about the kinds of manuscripts to which I was referring.  My remarks were meant to pertain mostly to standard reports of empirical research (single study or meta-analysis), assumed to be more or less in the conventional format of Abstract, Introduction, Methods, Results, & Discussion, & submitted to standard print or on-line scholarly science journals.  Substantively, I was thinking mostly in terms of the fields of medical-biological and behavioral-social science research, areas with which I am most familiar, though I imagine what I said could apply to other fields as well.  Further, I was not referring to "methods papers" on purely methodological/data analysis issues, development of statistical techniques, literature review papers, psychometric-biometric papers on development and/or assessment of measurement instruments, editorial-opinion papers, letters to the editor, abstract-proceeding informal publications, and such.   

Bio-Statistician,
    Neurology Dept.,
    Boston, Massachusetts 

dispose of the e-mail.