ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

USA excess deaths, COVID-19

• 1.  USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-09-2021 11:51
    The latest Significance magazine has an interesting article about measuring 2020 excess deaths in the USA, an unarguable metric of the impact of COVID-19.  It appears to use the Weekly Counts of Death CDC data.  However, that dataset only goes back to 2017.  N=4 does not seem big enough to really understand what is going on.  Does anyone know of a comparable source that goes back at least to, say, 2001?  It doesn't have to be weekly, but sub-annual would be nice.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    John Major

• 2.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-12-2021 07:30
    When we wrote our excess deaths paper, I found that the Mortality Surveillance Survey/FluView that you mention took over from the CDC's earlier 122 cities mortality surveillance data which ended in 2016. However, vital statistics data are disseminated in many contexts, so it seems likely there's something else that I didn't find that may be more continuous.

Janet Rosenbaum, Ph.D. (she/hers)
    SUNY Downstate School of Public Health, Brooklyn, NY
    janet.rosenbaum@downstate.edu

• 3.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-12-2021 08:24
    Your use of the word "unarguable" struck me as perhaps a bit strong.  For example, given lockdowns and other behavioral changes, couldn't the "excess deaths" metric be a low estimate?  People are driving less, the normal colds and flus are far less, and hospital complications for routine surgeries were down just because routine surgeries were down.  Seems like it is a decent proxy, but definitely one that is imperfect and may be "arguable". 

---
    Brian Blais
    bblais@bryant.edu
    https://bblais.github.io
    @bblais twitter
    ---​

Brian Blais
    Professor
    Bryant University

• 4.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-12-2021 10:44
    CDC produces the National Death index, which has individual deaths by day, including state and cause.  You have request a tabulation from CDC.  You can find its information at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ndi/index.htm,

Chuck Coleman

• 5.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-12-2021 16:59
    Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Janet and Chuck for the pointers.

Brian: "Unarguable" is perhaps too strong; some people can argue with anything.  But total death counts are more likely to be accepted by skeptics (my audience) who claim that (1) "confirmed" (via PCR test) case counts were until recently contaminated with an unknown number of false positives due to high cycle threshold and (2) COVID-19 specific death counts are ambiguous as to death-from-COVID vs death-with-COVID and possible bias from financial incentives. A death is a death and few skeptics are going to argue that those numbers have been distorted.

Stephen: In the Significance article (https://rss.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1740-9713.01485) I mentioned, figure 1 bids us to compare the behavior of 2020 to 2017-2019. The weekly detail is of interest of course, but the point of the chart is a holistic comparison.   We are essentially comparing 4 samples of a function and saying "Aha! This last one sure is different." COVID-19 is the obvious hypothesis to explain what is going on, but it would be good to see more years and what kind of variation there has been over the years, including other years with their own unique mega-events (like the Great Financial Crisis of '07-'08).

Regards,

John Major

• 6.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-13-2021 08:10
      |   view attached
    I have an affinity for excess death methodology as a means of conveying pandemic impact. Attached is a recent generation of my pandemic impact graphs (earlier versions posted previously). The innovation is comparison of cumulative counts (just another view). I am now puzzling about how to tweak my graph program due to the pandemic being > 1 year in duration (I recently transitioned from calendar year to 52-week spans).

Brent Blumenstein

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Deaths52WeekSpans.pdf   406 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-14-2021 07:54
    In terms of method, could you use a 24 month spline, or even 18 months so long as you started in the same month. You also might want to consider Unobserved Components, a type of State Space model that performs well at measuring changes in baseline levels.

David J Corliss, PhD
    Director, Peace-Work www.peace-work.org
    davidjcorliss@peace-work.org

• 8.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-14-2021 09:11
    Hi Brent et al,
    I too believe that the 'excess deaths' approach has much to recommend it, especially when thecauses of death are laden with error. We laid out this approach very early on in the pandemic so that others would continue to use the method as data became more
    complete, but our arguments for its use still held.
    I too wrestled with the format for the presentation -- it seemed that a graphical format wo=rked well for the gross structure (demonstrated by the 1665 London Plague data), but we were also interested in showing the differential effect by age of victim, thus the number of curves would multiply. Also we wanted to show the actual estimates of numbers of fatalities due to COVID and so we had to show the reasiduals from the fitted estimates of usual deaths. So we settled, on a carefully formatted table.

Graphs that show both the total number of deaths as well as the number due to COVID provide context, but lose precision because you must expend the scale.  I look forward to seeing your graphical efforts, especially for the key point of view provided by looking at the huge differential effects by age.

I'm delighted with the enthusiasm with which statisticians have put aside other work to take on the problems of understanding COVID during these dark times.

Howard Wainer

Howard Wainer
    Statistician

• 9.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-14-2021 09:40
      |   view attached
    Now comes updated graphs based on an increment of data, but more important a correction to the titles so that age group is identified. Thanks to Elgin Perry for pointing out this error introduced when I changed from calendar year graphing to 52 week spans. And thanks to those making suggestions for modifications directed at the pandemic becoming > 1 year in duration. Stay tuned.

Brent Blumenstein

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Deaths52WeekSpans.pdf   407 KB 1 version

• 10.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-16-2021 11:56

The excess mortality approach discussed in this thread is a promising approach not only for understanding the effects of COVID-19, but the impact of natural disasters and other public health crises.  A recent report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine that I worked on discusses this approach as one estimation approach (based on sampling and other statistical methods) that can provide a useful complement to more common approaches to counting cases and deaths.  

These methods, however, often have been used in a somewhat ad hoc fashion, with researchers making different choices about matters discussed in this thread and other issues.  The report calls for research program that begins with a discussion of advantages and disadvantages and the documentation of researchers' and policymakers' experience with choices that have worked particularly well (or not) in the past.  The research program could address such factors as: the spatiotemporal boundaries of the study; the specification of a comparison period or the handling of confounding or seasonal structure in the data; determination of an accurate sampling frame; development of appropriate standard survey questionnaires; crafting appropriate statistical models; and developing effective means of characterizing migration and population displacement, before, during, and in the immediate wake of the disaster.

Coming back to COVID-19, my Georgetown student, Sam Schlageter, and I have just published a White Paper describing excess mortality methods, as well as the benefits and challenges of using them to better understand the impact of the pandemic.  Beyond total number of deaths, for example, excess mortality estimates can demonstrate how the pandemic has differentially affected racial and ethnic minorities and other population groups and provide insights about its impact on the healthcare system and economic disruptions.  You can find the paper on the Georgetown Center for Global Health Science and Security's COVID-19 page.  We'd welcome your comments!

Mike Stoto

Michael A. Stoto, PhD
    Professor of Health Systems Administration and Population Health
    Georgetown University and
    Adjunct Professor of Biostatistics & Senior Preparedness Fellow
    Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
    mike.stoto@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: USA excess deaths, COVID-19

Posted 04-19-2021 08:20

Thank you, Dr. Stoto, for your comments and the reference for Sam Schlageter's paper. I have been using a public health approach to analyze the impact of the pandemic on various social pathologies, including disproportionate impact on marginalized communities (ASA DSCC webinar, paper due out next month) and on human trafficking (submitted for a late-breaking session at JSM). This will help the research to be more consistent with practices used by others. 

A question. My approach thus far has been to use deaths per (million) capita as the outcome and Census Bureau and other data by geography as predictive variables. For deaths, I have used the New York Times database, created by screen-scraping county health department websites. The Johns Hopkins data also is excellent. I have selected the NYT data because it is what I will call synoptic - seen through a single lens, with a single consistent process used to collect the data. The Johns Hopkins data uses a much more advanced process with a number of corrections for various factors. In this research, I have chosen simplicity and consistency of data collection over the more advanced Johns Hopkins data, which is more complicated and difficult to explain to persons whose expertise is neither medical nor statistical - often in social work, legal, and legislative fields.  

What are people's thoughts on this question? Thank you!

David J Corliss, PhD
    Director, Peace-Work www.peace-work.org
    davidjcorliss@peace-work.org