ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

• 1.  Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-20-2021 11:21
    Dear ASA Community,
    I am looking for some recent textbooks that can be used in teaching Nonparametric Statistics. This course is primarily designed for undergraduate students. I plan to use R and / or SAS for this course. I would appreciate it if you can suggest some textbooks that you have recently used in teaching Nonparametric Statistics. 

------------------------------
    Sincerely,

Achut Adhikari
    Miami University

• 2.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-21-2021 08:22
    Hi Achut,

I enjoyed teaching the Nonparamertic Statistics course using the 3rd ed of "Nonparametric Statistical Methods" by Hollander, Wolfe & Chicken. This text uses R for computing.

Best,

Sayed Mostafa
    Assistant Professor
    North Carolina A&T State University

• 3.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-21-2021 10:05
    How about "Practical Non-parametric Statistics" by W.J. Conover?  That textbook was used in a course, similar to what you described, at Eastern Michigan University.  For software, I think both SAS and R should be covered.  Good to know both.
    https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Nonparametric-Statistics-3rd-Conover/dp/0471160687

Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior
    Michigan Medicine

• 4.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-22-2021 20:52
    The best nonparametric statistics book (for both undergraduate and starting graduate students) is the book by Hollander and Wolfe.  Many of the standard nonparametric methods can be programmed easily using a standard compiler such as FORTRAN, C++, BASIC. even a standard spreadsheet package.  Of R, S, SAS, SPSS, BMDP (if you have it) have canned programs for the purpose.

Dr. Thakur

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 5.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-23-2021 07:26
    Hi,

This one is also very good:

Nonparametric Statistical Inference, by Gibbons and Chakraborti

Justin

Justin Smith
    Mathematical Statistician

• 6.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-23-2021 07:43
    Thank you Justin for the information.

Achut Adhikari

• 7.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-23-2021 10:24
    No problem.

Another older reference that is great is "Nonparametrics: Statistical Methods Based on Ranks" by Lehmann,

Justin Smith
    Mathematical Statistician

• 8.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-23-2021 14:45
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned Lehmann's "Nonparametrics:  Statistical Methods Based on Ranks"  It is a wonderful book! 
    Not nearly as difficult as his Hypothesis Testing, although perhaps still a bit much for undergraduates.

Ronald Christensen
    University of New Mexico

• 9.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-23-2021 15:07
    Thank you all for providing me valuable information.

Sincerely,
    Achut Adhikari
    Miami University

• 10.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-26-2021 14:02
    Kudos for bringing up Lehmann. I was one of the first to use his book in 1976, and the insight he provided was fantastic.  Hodges-Lehmann estimation of location and scale were huge steps forward, and part of the push to downplay P-values.  The appendix in that book where the derivations are done, makes it readable at a lower level, yet a very fine exposure for methodologists.

Jon

Jonathan Shuster

• 11.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-26-2021 11:55
    Hi Justin,
    We appreciate your mentioning our book: Nonparametric Statistical Inference by Gibbons and Chakraborti. I would like to let everyone know that the sixth edition of this book has been published earlier this year (2021) from the CRC Press.  Our book presents a blend of theory and applications and includes many illustrations worked out by hand and by using computer packages such as MINITAB, SAS and R.  New material and references have been added in the new edition.
    Best,
    Subha Chakraborti

Subhabrata Chakraborti
    Professor
    University of Alabama

• 12.  RE: Nonparametric Statistics Textbook

Posted 07-26-2021 11:18
    Hi Achut,
    Sorry for the delayed response - I had track this one down on my book shelves:
    "Applied Nonparametrics Statistical Methods" by Peter Sprent and Nigel Smeeton.

It's really helpful at making sure that students walk away understanding p-values & nonparametric hypothesis testing. I think these topics are much more intuitive from a nonparametric perspective and lend themselves to computational exercises that help students learn. With this type of information, they are more likely to retain the content after the class is done.

There are also some interesting chapters at the end of the book on "modern nonparametric methods" and robustness when assumptions break down. Some of these methods might be worth coding out so that students grasp them.

If you're interested in active learning / coding options for non-parametrics, you might also consider assigning them to code up the tutorial in this: https://www.mebden.com/reports/GPtutorial.pdf

Benefits:
    • Shows that nonparametrics isn't just a "no assumptions" paradigm
    • gives a new perspective on familiar techniques (in this case linear / logistic regression)
    • shows how not all inference has an analytical solution.
    • It's online and free, so students aren't paying $50-$100 for a book they'll only use once. 

Good luck! Nonparametrics is a great conceptual topic for undergrads!

Best,
    Glen

Glen Wright Colopy
    DPhil Oxon
    Data Scientist at Cenduit LLC, Durham, NC