ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Power for Complex Survey Design - Compare Proportions, Logistic Regression

Posted 11-11-2020 14:23
    Dear ASA Colleagues:

Have you ever computed power to compare two proportions or for logistic regression, when the data came from a complex survey design with weighting, stratification, and clustering?

If so, I'd appreciate any references to books, articles, or syntax with SAS, Stata, R, Python, or another package.

------------------------------
    Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior
    Michigan Medicine

• 2.  RE: Power for Complex Survey Design - Compare Proportions, Logistic Regression

Posted 11-12-2020 08:50
    Hi Brandy,

The sample size annexes in the 2018 World Health Organization's Vaccination Coverage Cluster Survey Reference Manual has a section on power and sample size when the inferential goal is to compare proportions in a) two strata, or b) pre- and post- surveys.  The equations assume that the test will be a survey-adjusted Rao-Scott chi-square test, which is the same as a survey-adjusted logistic regression if the only independent variable is categorical for the two groups you are comparing. If you intend to adjust for other covariates in your regression, that should only increase your power and the WHO numbers should turn out to be conservative.  (A hand-wavy argument, I know...)  The relevant sections are Annex B1 and B3.  The manual is available here:  https://www.who.int/immunization/documents/who_ivb_18.09/en/

There is also an Excel spreadsheet that helps you do the sample size calculations in the manual without needing to work the equations.  You'll want to look at the worksheet named 'Comparative'.
    https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/routine/coverage/sample_size_calculator_survey.xlsx?ua=1

The other approach is to do a simulation which is straightforward if you have a handle on the likely design effects or effective sample sizes.  I'd be happy to discuss any of these ideas with you if that would help.  My e-mail address is: dale.rhoda@biostatglobal.com.

-Dale

Dale Rhoda
    President
    Biostat Global Consulting LLC

• 3.  RE: Power for Complex Survey Design - Compare Proportions, Logistic Regression

Posted 11-12-2020 08:56
    Thanks Dale.  That is an excellent starting point.

Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior
    Michigan Medicine

• 4.  RE: Power for Complex Survey Design - Compare Proportions, Logistic Regression

Posted 11-12-2020 11:39
    oops I missed the "survey" part...sorry

Alberto Nettel-Aguirre
    Associate Professor
    University of Calgary