ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Computational statistics syllabus

Posted 01-12-2018 12:42

Hi,

At the School of Public Health, University of Puerto Rico, we are preparing a proposal for a PhD program combined in Biostatistics ad Epidemiology. I wonder if someone could share a syllabus of Computational Statistics applied to Epidemiology at this level or send the link where i could find the aims, topics and references.

Regards,

Erick

Erick Suárez, PhD

Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology

School of Public Health

University of Puerto Rico

------------------------------
    Erick Suarez Perez

• 2.  RE: Computational statistics syllabus

Posted 01-15-2018 08:55
    In <g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="17" data-gr-id="17">epidemiology</g> there are often many questions at issue. Any syllabus should contain methods for dealing with multiple questions. I would include p-value plots and adjusted p-values.

I would certainly include some of the effective methods for analysis of large <g class="gr_ gr_168 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="168" data-gr-id="168">data sets</g>, large N and small p. Recursive partitioning comes to mind.

For small N, large p, an alternative to PCA, non-negative matrix factorization, should be considered.

Cross-validation should be covered.

Statistical practice is coming under scrutiny. Consider two recent books.

Harris: Rigor Mortis.

Chandler: The seven deadly sins of psychology.

Sidney Young
    Retired