ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Police Data Challenge

Posted 10-01-2017 12:39

ASA's public education campaign, This Is Statistics, in collaboration with the Police Data Initiative, has launched the Police Data Challenge -a national contest for high-school and undergraduate students to put their statistical and data visualization skills to work creating safer communities. Data sets from metropolitan police departments in Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Seattle are available for participants to peruse in formulating analyses and recommending innovative solutions to enhance public safety. Teams of 2–5 high-school or college undergraduate students in the US and Canada can submit an entry. Submissions are comprised of a short essay describing the team's process and a presentation of the team's analysis and recommendations via PowerPoint. Awards will be given in the categories of Best Overall Analysis, Best Visualization, and Best Use of External Data. Submissions are due by Friday, November 3. Please feel free to share with any stats-savvy students and teachers!

Best,
    Jill

------------------------------
    Jill Talley
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Police Data Challenge

Posted 06-08-2020 17:31
    Edited by Jan Galkowski 06-08-2020 17:31
    This is an oblique comment on an older post, but I could not find a related topic in the Community. 

I'm look for more up-to-date data on police traffic stops in Massachusetts.  I am aware of the Stanford Policing Project, and of datasets available at Dataworld. I have a dataset from there that's good, but it only runs to the end of 2015. 

I wonder if anyone knows or has a database of traffic stops by state, particularly Massachusetts, or knows if such exists. 

Sorry for ressurecting a thread. 

Can reach me here, by email me via the ASA's directory, or at the below.

Jan Galkowski
    Westwood Statistical Studios
    Westwood, MA 02090
    jan@westwood-statistical-studios.org

• 3.  RE: Police Data Challenge

Posted 06-09-2020 10:40
    Unfortunately, this type of data set is not being shared frequently enough. You can do a public records request of the most recent MA police traffic stop data. In the meantime, you may want to scroll the Stanford Policing Project data or open data portals for recent data sets from other locations. For example, in their open portal San Diego officials share recent police stop data. However, you would need to wrangle the data quite a bit, including combining several data files.

In the recently published book Principles of Managerial Statistics and Data Science, there are case studies and problems looking into whether the probability of searches during a traffic stop in San Diego depend on the driver's race. The companion website for the book shares the R code which could be applied to other jurisdictions. For a more sophisticated analysis of racial bias (based on logistic regression of contraband found during searches), you can check the R code here.

Roberto Rivera
    Professor