ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-10-2022 16:22
    The Dedman College Interdisciplinary Institute and the Department of Statistical Science at Southern Methodist University are proud to announce a Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance. The symposium will take place on Friday, June 3, from 9:30 - 3:30 on the SMU campus in Dallas, Texas. There is also a virtual attendance option.

The aim of the symposium on scientific inquiry and statistical significance is four-fold
    1. To disseminate the stance of the American Statistical Association on the appropriate use of results from null hypothesis significance testing for analysis of studies from social science, science, engineering, and humanities.
    2. To offer alternatives to such testing
    3. To discuss changes to publication policies that would benefit both individual scientists and science writ large.
    4. To discuss methods of educating current and future scientists in appropriate methods for gathering and analyzing data.

The link below is a registration link. Please let us know whether you can attend.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/scientific-reproducibility-and-statistical-significance-symposium-tickets-327521494607

------------------------------
    Monnie McGee
    Associate Professor
    Department of Statistical Science
    Southern Methodist University
    Dallas,TX United States

• 2.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-11-2022 11:01
    Hey, Monnie:

I'm not sure if it's just for me or for others, but the hyperlink doesn't direct to the Eventbrite page. Instead, it directs to web Outlook. Just a friendly FYI :)

SR

Santiago Rodriguez
    Data Scientist

• 3.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-11-2022 12:28
    Correct link for sign up is given below. I apologize for sending the incorrect link earlier.

https://smustatisticalsymposium.eventbrite.com

Monnie

Monnie McGee
    Associate Professor
    Dallas,TX United States

• 4.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-13-2022 09:50
    Same happened to me when I clicked on the link.

Thanks.

Shagufta Sultan
    Biostatistician

• 5.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-15-2022 15:33
    Sounds like an awesome symposium. 

How much of the discussion will be based upon what is reproducibility? 

In my Data Science class, I intentionally have my students run a model, be it linear or logistic regression, cart models, random forests, etc, with the same data set, but have them use different random seeds to create the training and testing data sets. The results generally have some commonalities. But, often include or remove terms from a previous model. They might all include 'X1' and 'X5' but will disagree on everything else. All the data I use was created by me, so we know what is 'in the model'. Out of 100+ random seeds for the models, no one has got everything and only a few times do the models agree with each other completely, meaning they show the exact same variables are important.

Andrew Ekstrom

Statistician, Chemist, HPC Abuser;-)

• 6.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-24-2022 22:44
    Does the ASA actually have an official stance on the appropriate use of results from null-hypothesis significance testing?

Will the Symposium discuss the report of the ASA President's Task Force on Statistical Significance and Replicability (Amstat News, August 2021, pages 5 and 6)?

David Hoaglin

• 7.  RE: Symposium on Scientific Reproducibility and Statistical Significance

Posted 05-25-2022 14:57
    Dear David,

Thank you for your question. The ASA does not have an official position on NHST. The 2016 ASA statement on p-values and statistical significance is the ASA's only official position on such matters, and it does not address NHST. Allow me to restate the objectives of the symposium to correct my mistake:

The aim of the symposium on scientific inquiry and statistical significance is four-fold
    1. To discuss the appropriate use of results from NHST.
    2. To offer alternatives to such testing
    3. To discuss changes to publication policies that would benefit both individual scientists and science writ large.
    4. To discuss methods of educating current and future scientists in appropriate methods for gathering and analyzing data.

I will also take the opportunity for another call to register using the link below. The symposium will take place on Friday, June 3, and registration will close on June 1. There is an option for virtual attendance. From prior experience, I think it is best to copy and paste the link from this message into another browser window rather than to click through on this message.

https://smustatisticalsymposium.eventbrite.com

Best Regards,

Monnie

Monnie McGee
    Associate Professor
    Dallas,TX United States