ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-15-2019 08:50
    Everyone,

Has anyone had experience with geocoding assessors parcels?  Would you care to share what you learned?

My research indicates that, for lots of money, you can buy datasets that contain the centroid coordinates for assessors parcels but parcels change so often that purchasing these datasets repeatedly is prohibitively expensive.

Geocoding the street addresses is my backup plan if geocoding the parcel number fails. The parcel number is the most specific identifier of the parcel; although some parcels are identified by street addresses, as well.  Unfortunately, the street addresses for some parcels contain missing data, which will introduce errors and non-geocodable parcels.

Also, I don't necessarily need to geocode a specific location within the parcel.  Geocoding a general location within the parcel, such as the centroid or a street address within the parcel, will be (or may have to be) sufficient.

I thought someone out there might have a brilliant hack that they'd be willing to share.  If anyone has accomplished that hack in R or R Studio (preferred) or Stata that would be the chocolate icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

------------------------------
    Linda A. Landon, PhD, ELS, PRC

Research Communiqué
    Business, Marketing, & Policy Research

www.researchcommunique.com
    LandonPhD@ResearchCommunique.com
    573-797-4517

PhD, Molecular Pharmacology
    Graduate Certificate, Applied Statistics
    Board-Certified Editor in the Life Sciences

• 2.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-16-2019 12:48
    I have not worked with GIS in R, but I have played around in ArcGIS and I know there might be some data available, depending on what state/county you are looking for. Here in Indiana our county assessors are submit parcel information to the State annually. You may be able to see if they have a geodatabase for their parcel data that is available to the public.
    https://maps.indiana.edu/previewMaps/Reference/Land_Parcels_County_IGIO.html

Deliverance Bougie
    State of Indiana

• 3.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-17-2019 06:48
    I have worked with Parcels in several states.  Generally, one can get parcel maps (electronic) that include the parcels, then one can use Centroids if one wishes.  The relationship to streets is complex.  This all depends on where you are doing the work.

Andy

Andrew Beveridge
    Professor of Sociology
    Queens and Grad Center CUNY

• 4.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-17-2019 07:33
    Andy,

Thanks for this helpful hint.  I'll look into this option.  It might work IF I can download the coordinates for the centroid from the parcel map software. For my client's needs, I need to map parcels owned by various of their clients so I will have to merge the longitude and latitude of the centroids with my client's data set.  Thanks!

Linda

Research Communiqué

573-797-4517

• 5.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-17-2019 07:35
    Deliverance,

It hadn't occurred to me that state government might be a source of this data.  I'll put on my data sleuth hat and check that out.

Thanks for your response.

Linda

Research Communiqué

573-797-4517

• 6.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-22-2019 12:01
    Edited by Jason Law 07-22-2019 12:17

Local governments often make this data available for free (e.g., http://gis-pdx.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/address). Oregon, at least, makes it available for the entire state https://data.oregon.gov/Administrative/ORMap-The-Oregon-Property-Tax-Map/4wpq-zwd9. If you're working over a large geographic area though, that may not work well.

Jason Law
    Statistician
    City of Portland, OR

• 7.  RE: Geocoding Assessors Parcels

Posted 07-26-2019 09:26
    Thanks to Jason, Deliverance, and Andy for their responses, all of which were very helpful and informative.

Linda

Research Communiqué

573-797-4517