ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Follow up to Rob Santos' 2020 census request on Friday

Posted 09-15-2020 13:06

Dear ASA Members,

Thanks to the many of you who wrote your members of Congress in reaction to 2021 ASA President Rob Santos' Friday appeal. Nearly 250 of you used the Insights Association link to write to your elected officials.

This is a terrific response, and I'm writing to encourage more of you to write. We can track the number of messages to each office, which allows us to contact staff for that Senator or Representative to amplify your voice, saying something like, "We have had n members contact you. May we talk to you about the pressures on the decennial census and the importance of allowing the Census Bureau more time for the enumeration."

If you haven't already written, please take a few minutes to do so now: https://www.votervoice.net/Insights/Campaigns/76750/Respond

As of today, we can also point the staff to a bill introduced from Senators Murkowski (R-AK), Schatz (D-HI), and Sullivan (R-AK) to extend the statutory deadlines.

Thank you,

Steve

------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Follow up to Rob Santos' 2020 census request on Friday

Posted 09-15-2020 22:27
    Dear All,

We heard from several of you after Friday's message of a difficulty scrolling down in the webpage linked in Rob's message. We thought it had been addressed with the URL I sent today but apparently it persists. I'm sorry for this. If you encounter a page in which you can't advance to the next field or scroll down to see the fields, please try one of the following:(i) adjust the view magnification to zoom out to see more of the webpage content; or (ii) tap the "tab" button repeatedly until it brings you down to the part of the website where you can see the fields to fill in, and then use "tab" to advance to the next field and finally to the "submit" button.

Sorry again for the issues but thank you for the enthusiastic support of this request. 

Btw, the press release for the Schatz-Murkowski-Sullivan bill I mentioned in my previous message today is now posted: Schatz, Murkowski, Sullivan Introduce Bill To Extend Key 2020 Census Deadlines Due To COVID-19 Pandemic

Thank you,
    Steve

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association