ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-10-2016 12:25

Greetings –

This is a really elemental question. We are planning a randomized trial that will be stratified by disease type (of which there are two) to compare the outcomes of two interventions. Our primary interest is the main effect of intervention 1 compared to intervention 2. But, we are pre-specifying a test to determine if the intervention effect differs between the two disease types, and want to make sure we have a large enough sample size to measure a smallish difference in effect sizes. The literature seems to suggest to fit an interaction model first (Y~b0 + b1*trt + b2*subgroup + b3*trt*subgroup) and test the hypothesis H0: b3 = 0 using a sig. level alpha=0.05. If you reject null, then you are done – you can conclude that there is an overall effect and report the effect sizes for both disease groups. However, if you fail to reject H0 but still want to assess if there is an overall effect, it seems like it is impossible to maintain FWER of 5%.

I really would like to maintain the FWER of 5% but still be able to do each test using alpha = 0.05. So, I thought of reversing the approach. First I would estimate a main effects model first (Y~a0+a1*trt) and test the null hypothesis H0: a1=0 with alpha = 0.05. If we fail to reject, we stop and do not say anything about the subgroups. However, if we reject the null, then we move on to the interaction model and test H0: b3=0, also at 5%. I've done simulations to confirm that this approach conserves the FWER of 5% - so it seems reasonable. But is it the wrong way to go about things?

Thoughts appreciated.

Keith Goldfeld, DrPH

Assistant Professor

School of Medicine, New York University

------------------------------------------------------------
    This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
    =================================

• 2.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-12-2016 04:08

Greetings back,

Do be honest I'm not completely sure I understood you correctly, but to me it seems quite naturally to first test the hypothesis on the full population and after rejection in a predefined subpopulation. As this is a sequential procedure the FWER should be strongly controlled. In my opinion the approach you suggest is the right way to approach subgroup analyses.

See also:

Methods for identification and confirmation of targeted subgroups in clinical trials: A systematic review

Taylor & Francis remove preview
    Methods for identification and confirmation of targeted subgroups in clinical trials: A systematic review
    Important objectives in the development of stratified medicines include the identification and confirmation of subgroups of patients with a beneficial treatment effect and a positive benefit-risk balance. We report the results of a literature review on methodological approaches to the design and analysis of clinical trials investigating a potential heterogeneity of treatment effects across subgroups.
    View this on Taylor & Francis >

A Statistical Framework for Decision Making in Confirmatory Multipopulation Tailoring Clinical Trials

Therapeutic Innovation & Regulatory Science remove preview
    A Statistical Framework for Decision Making in Confirmatory Multipopulation Tailoring Clinical Trials
    This article focuses on statistical analysis of clinical trials pursuing tailored therapy objectives, wherein evaluation of treatment effect occurs in the overall population as well as in a predefined subpopulation(s). The design and analysis principles presented provide a framework for decision making based on these novel multipopulation tailoring trial designs, considering the particular case of confirmatory trials.
    View this on Therapeutic Innovation & Regulatory Science >

Kind regards,

------------------------------
    Susanne Urach
    Medical University of Vienna

• 3.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-12-2016 08:12

Keith, in general you can pre-specify a sequence of statistical tests at level alpha, perform them in sequence and claim significance based on the usual interpretation of the tests until you fail to reject. Then that test and the remaining tests in the sequence are automatically not significant. This approach protects the overall error at level alpha. It's used frequently in clinical research, and regulators are comfortable with it.

Concerning your first approach, imagine that the treatment effects are equal but opposite in direction in the two disease types. Then the interaction is real and the test for it may be statistically significant, but the overall effect is zero. (I've oversimplified this a little, basically assuming the two disease types are equally prevalent, but you get the idea.)

Best, Dick

Richard M. Bittman, PhD

Bittman Biostat, Inc.

Statistical Consulting for Pharmaceutical and Device Development

Phone: 239-970-0536

Cell: 847-530-3178

Email: rmb@bittmanbiostat.com

www.bittmanbiostat.com

• 4.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-12-2016 08:32

It sounds to me like you have two planned tests.  First, you will test the interaction effect to determine if there exists an effect of the treatment that differs by disease type.  Then, if no important interaction is found, you will test the main effect to determine if there exists an effect of the treatment that is not dependent on disease type.  I would make two recommendations here:

1.  You should not perform the second test if an interaction exists.  Doing so can be very misleading.  For example, suppose in an extreme case that the treatment is helpful to one group of patients but hurtful to the other.  In that situation, the main effect test might well appear non-significant (but in fact there are effects in both groups).  A more likely scenario is that the treatment is helpful to one group but not the other.  This could give you the appearance of a significant "main effect" but that will again be misleading (because in the one group the treatment isn't helpful.  If the interaction exists, that is what you should examine.  (What you suggest at the end is in fact the wrong way to go about things.)

2.  If you wish to control the overall false positive rate at 0.05, a simple way to do this would be a Bonferroni Correction, performing each of the two tests at significance level 0.025.  If both tests are performed at significance level 0.05, then logically the overall false positive rate would have to be slightly higher.  

I hope this is helpful, and best of luck with your study!

Best Regards,
    Joe

Joseph Nolan
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Director, Burkardt Consulting Center
    Northern Kentucky University
    Department of Mathematics & Statistics

• 5.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-12-2016 09:04
    This is similar to Fisher's F-protected follow-up t-tests.  Since you have already specified your subgroup analysis, in my mind, you have used appropriate procedure.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.

• 6.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-20-2016 15:57
      |   view attached

Since you were all so kind to respond to me, I wanted to get back to you to let you know where I ended up. Some of you supported my approach to test for the main effects first at a level alpha = 0.05 and then proceed to the interaction model if and only if rejecting the null hypothesis in this first test. Others warned me that it is more prudent to start by testing the interaction effect and only test for the main effect if you fail to reject the null. Of course, there is a penalty for doing it this second way, as the FWER is not preserved at 5%, so we have to make some sort of adjustment, say a Bonferroni adjustment and do both tests at 0.025.

So - I decided to simulate some data and see if and when it matters. I've attached a plot that shows estimates of power under different scenarios of effect and interaction sizes as well as the order of the hypothesis testing. I'd say the plots pretty much tell the story: it is a better idea to test for interaction first (the purple line), particularly when the main effect is very low. (I conducted all my simulations under a variance/sd of 1, to give you a sense of the magnitudes here.) When the main effect approaches 0.5 standard deviations (which could be a pretty sizable effect), the testing procedure doesn't matter so much. The approach that tests the main effect first seems slightly better with larger main effects, but the difference appears to be quite small. And power for testing interaction is quite low at even pretty high interaction effects - but everyone knows that (though it is always nice to see).

Thanks again for humoring me by responding. This has been very helpful. (If for some reason, the attachment did not go through, I'd be happy to send along.)

Keith Goldfeld
    NYU School of Medicine

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Power by test ss 100.pdf   6 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-21-2016 02:28

I just wanted to add that if you use the Bonferroni correction, there ist no predefined order in which you test. You even have the possibility to test the other hypothesis at full level alpha if one of them can be rejected at alpha half leading to the step down Bonferroni Holm method (which is more powerful). To guarantee that a significant result  in the full population is not driven by the effect in the subpopulation usually some influence condition has to be fulfilled.

Hope this is of some help for you.

KR

Susanne Urach
    Medical University of Vienna

• 8.  RE: Proper hypothesis testing procedure for subgroup analysis when we are interested in main effect as well

Posted 12-22-2016 07:36

I remember when I was working in the pharmaceutical industry, we would use the stepdown approach and would take advantage of picking the order of testing to our advantage.  By that I mean you could make claims about your product that you wanted to use on the labeling of the product after approval.  The risk is that at some point you would hit your limit on alpha and would not be able to make any further claims.  So it was important to consider the order.  You want as many claims approved on your list that you can get but you would have to consider to pick first the ones you want approved the most and yet also want to be confident that you will get them approved before you had to stop.  Information from the current clinical trial and earlier phase trial would help in making the decision.  This is an example where Susanne's point about stepdown procedures can be useful. 

Michael Chernick