ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Outreach Group (Previously the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group)

Posted 08-14-2020 12:15
      |   view attached

Dear Colleague,

Thank you for your interest in the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group. In the process of submitting the proposal, the ASA leadership encouraged us to instead apply for Outreach Group status, and consider expanding our reach to include justice and equity in line with the recent ASA leadership commitment to strengthen "our professional community by making it more just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive." 

We are very excited to announce that the ASA Board of Directors approved the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Outreach Group at their recent meeting.

We are seeking nominations for the inaugural leadership of the JEDI Outreach Group.  Nominations can be made here.  Self-nominations are encouraged.

We have also began planning for JEDI Outreach Group activities and initiatives.  Ideas can be listed using this form.

Thank you again for your interest!

Best,

Julia

Interim Chair, JEDI Outreach Group

------------------------------
    Julia Sharp
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Colorado State University

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Outreach Group (Previously the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group)

Posted 08-14-2020 14:56
      |   view attached
    Hi,

The JEDI Charter will be added to the ASA Outreach Group website.  I am attaching it here as well.  My apologies for not including this in my earlier message.

Best,
    Julia

Julia Sharp

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Outreach Group (Previously the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group)

Posted 08-28-2020 22:23
    Hi Julia,

I'm a member of a group of graduate students in statistics at the University of Michigan who have organized a DEI Working Group, and we're interested in communicating and coordinating with others across our profession working with a similar focus, and I was excited to learn about the JEDI Outreach group. I've reviewed the charter but am not sure how we can best stay connected, for example to know about future meetings to which we might want to send representatives. Does the group yet have a website or mailing list where we can sign up to receive future communications? Should we keep our eye on the list of ASA Outreach Groups and look for a link to appear there?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Best,
    Dan

Daniel Kessler
    PhD Student
    University of Michigan

• 4.  RE: Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Outreach Group (Previously the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group)

Posted 08-30-2020 18:00
    Hi, Dan,

Thank you so much for your interest!  The JEDI organizing committee is currently working on the structures for membership, leadership, and communication as well as activities and initiatives.  As we get organized, I will share more information.  

We will use the petition to form the Outreach Group as a start to a membership list.  Names can added here:  https://forms.gle/e8Qa3gBgKE1yoJJD7

Nominations for JEDI leadership positions can be made here:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cEIdsQoTl0T9i8GIMM4hEbcQDzwjHt_ycrIwWyD4lQ8/edit

Ideas for JEDI initiatives and activities can be submitted here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1879u6YQoCLso_sLRwqSKOLXuh4ztrLY6wk958oWQbhA/edit

Thank you, again!

Best,
    Julia

Julia Sharp

• 5.  RE: Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Outreach Group (Previously the Diversity and Inclusion Interest Group)

Posted 08-31-2020 07:26

HI Dan - 

My name is David Corliss. I am involved in the JEDI Outreach group, working with Dr. Sharp and others. I have also been involved supporting student activities at the University of Michigan in Data For Good, speaking at events from the statistics group in the School of Social Work, MIDAS, etc. 

Perhaps I can be a resource for you. Let's discuss. If you happen to know Brandy Sinco at Michigan, please loop her into the discussion as well. I have worked with her for a number of years and she is a strong and inspiring voice in Data For Good, especially in diversity and inclusion. Let me also mention, as one possible starting point, Stats4Good - the monthly in Amstat News on Data For Good - in the August issue talks about opportunities for student research, projects, and papers.  

Thank you for your interest in the Outreach Group! I hope to talk with you soon. 

David 

David J Corliss, PhD

David J Corliss, PhD
    Director, Peace-Work www.peace-work.org
    davidjcorliss@peace-work.org