ASA Connect

View Only

Two AMS Notices articles of interest

• 1.  Two AMS Notices articles of interest

Posted 10-16-2020 11:38
    Hi all,

I am the Associate Editor for Statistics of the Notices of the American Mathematical Society.  Just want to announce a couple of Statistics articles that we recently published.  I think the papers are open to everyone, I provide links below.

Michael Lavine wrote a piece discussing the various statistical principles: sufficiency, conditionality, and likelihood.  The piece is based off of his Introductory Overview Lecture at JSM 2019.  He provides a number of neat illustrative examples distinguishing between assessing evidence and assessing a procedure in data science-type settings.

Here is the article: Lavine, M. (2020).  Assessing Procedures vs. Assessing Evidence.  AMS Notices, August, 988-993.

Jason Osborne and two of his students, Melody Wen and Neil Dey wrote a piece introducing the MLBDecideR app.  The paper discusses how to use the tool for baseball decision-making relative to setting a lineup, stealing, and bunting.

Here is a link to the paper: Osborne, Wen, and Dey, 2020, MLBDecideR: A Shiny App for Baseball. AMS Notices, October, 1389-1395.

And here is a link to their shiny app: go.ncsu.edu/mlbdecider

Enjoy!

Rich Levine

------------------------------
    Richard Levine
    Professor of Statistics
    San Diego State University
    ------------------------------