ASA Connect

View Only

Questions on Bayesian Model Averaging

• 1.  Questions on Bayesian Model Averaging

Posted 05-05-2023 16:37

Hi everyone, 

I am working on a project where I have individuals whom I track in relation to "before", "during" and "after" they take a certain action (i.e., phase).  The year when they take this action is also recorded.  This means that the categories of phase have the following meaning:  "before" means "the year before they took the action", "during" means the "the year when they took the action" and "after" means "the year after they took the action". 

In my modelling, phase and year are predictor variables and the response variable is a count of votes cast by these individuals throughout the year in questions out of a total number of votes. The model includes a random effect for individual. 

In a first stage, I fit 4 different Bayesian models to the data using just phase as a predictor of the vote count (out of the total); each of these models uses the same model formula but a different family: binomial, beta-binomial, zero-inflated binomial and zero-inflated beta-binomial.  All models are fitted with the brm() function from the brms package of R, using default priors. 

Question 1:  From a Bayesian perspective, is it appropriate to compute posterior model weights for these 4 models given they use different families?  

Question 2:  Given that I am interested in characterizing the effect of phase (hence not in predicting from the model), what type of model weights would be most appropriate to use? (I have used the brms function post_prob() to compute posterior model probabilities from marginal likelihoods, though I read that these probabilities are sensitive to the choice of priors; by default, this function assumes the models are equally likely a priori.) 

Question 3:   If one of the models receives most weight (e.g., its weight is something like 0.9), does it still make sense to average all the model or is it ok to retain just this dominating model for further inference?

In a second stage, I fit 4 * 3 = 12 different Bayesian models to the data, consisting of 3 sets of models.  The first set of 4 models uses year on its own as a predictor and all 4 families listed above.  The second set of 4 models uses year and phase as predictors, but not their interaction, with each family in turn.  The third set of 4 models uses year, phase and their interaction year:phase as predictors, with each family in turn.  All 12 models are fitted with the brm() function from the brms package of R, using default priors.   The questions below mirror the questions above, except that now there is the added complication of not just the families possibly changing across candidate models, but also predictors included in the model.

Question 4:  From a Bayesian perspective, is it appropriate to compute posterior model weights for these 12 models given they use different families?  (Again, here I used post_prob() from brms.)

Question 5:   If one of the models receives most weight (e.g., its weight is something like 0.9), does it still make sense to average all the model or is it ok to retain just this dominating model for further inference?

Any comments or answers would be appreciated - I would like to make sure I am not doing something totally nonsensical. 

Many thanks. 

Isabella 

Email: isabella@ghement.ca 

------------------------------
    [Isabella] [Ghement][Ghement Statistical Consulting Company Ltd.]
    ------------------------------