ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Voting

Posted 03-15-2017 09:00
    How many of us know enough about the ASA officer candidates to differentiate them on a rational basis?

T. Osborn

• 2.  RE: Voting

Posted 03-16-2017 07:52
    I think that this is one of the biggest challenges in these kinds of votes. Basic career info, like papers published, is nearly irrelevant. They all have cool sounding goals and such. I often go by past roles of leadership or membership, but that can be hard to meaningfully compare as well.

I wonder if some kind of recommendations would help. Someone who can say "team player, has good ideas, good at details..."  If you can't get others who have worked with you to more than lamely attest to your skills, you don't belong in high office!

Ed

Ed J. Gracely, PhD
    Associate Professor
    Family, Community, & Preventive Medicine
    College of Medicine

Associate Professor
    Epidemiology and Biostatistics
    Dornsife School of Public Health

Drexel University
    2900 W. Queen Lane,
    Philadelphia PA, 19129
    Tel: 215.991.8466 
    | Fax: 215.843.6028
    Cell: 609.707.6965

Egracely@drexelmed.edu
    drexelmed.edu  |  drexel.edu/publichealth

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 3.  RE: Voting

Posted 03-16-2017 10:02
    Let me to share a voting strategy that worked for me, in the hope of encouraging higher 'voter turnout':

I found the paired personal statements of candidates for each office (but one) on my ballot quite easy to rank on grounds of:
    • basic spirit & view expressed of the profession
    • demonstrated specific attention to the demands of each office
    • depth of strategic thinking.
    In the one case where I had trouble ranking the personal statements, I chose the candidate having (what seemed to me) the more substantive research interests. Overall, the voting process proved a refreshing opportunity to think about important professional issues at a higher level than how to get my MCMC chains to mix better 8^). Also, I found it humbling and inspiring to witness the generosity and professional commitment of the many candidates (from so many areas of the profession!) we have willing to step forward to offer their leadership.

------------------------------
    David C. Norris, MD
    Precision Methodologies, LLC
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Voting

Posted 03-16-2017 16:56
    While we're talking about voting, let's review how candidates get on the ballot.

Board of Directors:
    Candidates for ASA president and vice president are chosen by the ASA Committee on Nominations.  Candidates for representatives from the councils (chapters and sections) are chosen by each council's nominating committee.  Candidates for the publications representative are selected by a nominating committee consisting of the editors of ASA journals.

Sections:
    Each section selects candidates for each elected position through a nominating committee or process.

Thus, all candidates have arrived at their positions on the ballot via review by fellow ASA members.

Many thanks to all of you who will vote or have voted in the ASA election.
    Ron

Ron Wasserstein
    Executive Director
    The American Statistical Association
    Promoting the Practice and Profession of Statistics
    732 N. Washington St.
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    703-684-1221 x1860