ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-05-2022 09:35
    Dear Colleagues:

A co-worker, who is a qualitative analyst, asked me for online resources for beginning statistics, I.E., Statistics 101.  Does anyone have suggestions for resources that would help a co-worker who wants to become statistically literate, but not become a statistician?

I am interested in referrals to:
    1)_Websites that describe basic statistical concepts
    2)_Books
    3)_Online videos, especially youtube
    4)_Courses (OK if a fee is charged)

------------------------------
    Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior

• 2.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-06-2022 16:01
    Hi Brandy, 

A great book to start with might be Naked Statistics by Charles Wheelen. It gives a good introduction to many statistical concepts in an approachable way, utilizing familiar references. The material remains at the conceptual level and does not delve into technical details or mathematics.

Nikki Ownby
    Data Analyst

• 3.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 05-10-2022 09:28
    This post was removed

• 4.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-09-2022 11:12
    Edited by Debra Boka 05-09-2022 11:15

Please have them check out StatQuest on youtube. It is a life-changer! It explains concepts in a way that makes them stick and are understandable. I would have had a difficult time continuing in statistics without it, as I am not like so many of the members here who understand these things more naturally. It's a wonderful tool! *EDIT to more clearly explain how awesome StatQuest is- and no I'm not affiliated ;D

StatQuest: Histograms, Clearly Explained

YouTube remove preview
    StatQuest: Histograms, Clearly Explained
    Histograms are one of the most basic statistical tools that we have. They are also one of the most powerful and most frequently used. However, they are not w...
    View this on YouTube >

Debra Boka, MA Demographics and Social Analysis

• 5.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-10-2022 11:07
    I would like to highly recommend a book that would logically pick up immediately after the excellent introductory materials already recommended leave off: I only wish I had this book when teaching applied statistics to employees with diverse educational backgrounds and interests in an industrial setting. The case study pedagogy is very effective with this type of student.

From Johannes Ledolter's review¹ of "The Statistical Sleuth" (2nd ed.), by Fred L. Ramsey and Daniel W. Schafer:

"The book is aimed at users of statistics--students and researchers who want to learn how to collect and analyze data in their research. The book assumes a prior introductory statistics course ( a course covering common distributions and basic statistical inference in the one-sample situation ). Only a moderate mathematics background is needed. The book avoids matrix algebra and makes little use of calculus. ... I expect that this book will please instructors who wish to teach students and researchers the right way ( i.e. the process ) of doing statistics."

¹ Ledolter, J. (2003), Review of The Statistical Sleuth ( 2nd ed. ), The American Statistician, 57, 145-6.

Tom

Thomas D. Sandry, PhD
    Industrial Statistical Consultant, Retired

Thomas Sandry

• 6.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-09-2022 17:39
    Crash Course has a series on statistics. It's great!
    https://thecrashcourse.com/topic/statistics/

This link describes what Crash Course is - essentially CC creates educational videos.

Santiago Rodriguez
    Data Scientist

• 7.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 05-10-2022 09:29
    This post was removed

• 8.  RE: Online Resources and Books for Beginning Statistics

Posted 05-10-2022 08:58
    I second the StatQuest YouTube channel.  And I also recommend Danielle Navarro's Learning Statistics with R.  It's the book I wish I had in my first intro stats course.

Melissa Wong
    T&E Statistician