ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 05-17-2019 10:32

Summer is almost here, and it's time to find a good book to read! How about a topical history of statistics?

We invite you to visit the History of Statistics Interest Group's Book Nook at https://community.amstat.org/historyofstats/ourlibrary/new-item4.

Here you will now find a list of topical histories of statistics books, in addition to lists of biographies, autobiographies, and portrait biographies.

Please let us know your suggestions to add to these lists!

It's easy (and free!) to join the History of Statistics Interest Group. Visit our Join page at https://community.amstat.org/historyofstats/aboutus/join.

------------------------------
    Amanda L. Golbeck
    Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Biostatistics
    UAMS - Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health

• 2.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 06-24-2019 13:59
    My book, Statistical Inference as Severe Testing: How to Get Beyond the Statistics Wars (2018, CUP) has quite a lot on the history of contemporary statistics, especially Fisher, Neyman and Pearson and their contemporaries. I would be pleased if you included it on your lists.
    Excerpts may be found on my blog https://errorstatistics.com/2019/05/14/sist-all-excerpts-and-mementos-may-2018-may-2019/
    Thank you.
    D. Mayo

Deborah Mayo
    Virginia Tech

• 3.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 06-25-2019 13:00
    Dear Deborah,
    Thank you for sharing your book with us, I added it to my reading list!

Marina Espinasse

Marine Biologist and DL-student at Hasselt University (Belgium)

• 4.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 07-19-2019 12:28
    Prof Mayo,

Your epic work on SIST is truly amazing ... I only wish I was still a book reviewer for Technometrics and this chance had fallen to me then.  Congratulations on having produced a masterpiece.  It is clearly destined to be a classic.  May you have all the recognition you so obviously deserve.  Thank you for generously making this thread available, and so conveniently, for potential readers whose reactions will no doubt exceed mine.  This is a WOW.  Beyond timely.  Great reading indeed.

Yours Humbly,

Tom

Thomas D. Sandry, PhD
    Industrial Statistical Consultant, Retired

Thomas Sandry

• 5.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 07-18-2019 22:21
    At Ms. Golbeck's suggestion, I am requesting help from readers in locating one of the books on her list: I would be interested in locating a loaner copy of Box, J. F. (1978). R.A. Fisher: The Life of a Scientist. Wiley, which I believe is out of print and has proven difficult to find except as an expensive purchase as a used text.  Does anyone have access to a copy or can you direct me to one?  I live in upstate NY, so travel to an NYCity library is not convenient and the local library system has not been able to locate a copy.  Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas D. Sandry, PhD

Thomas Sandry

• 6.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 07-19-2019 09:52
    Thank you to those who responded to me directly, one of whom I have not been able to respond directly due to system security limits.  I will share your suggestions with the local public library and hopefully begin getting access to the university library system.  There was also a suggestion that this book should be gotten back in print, with which I heartily agree.  I have seen several citations of the Joan Box book in the past, but over the years have never succeeded in locating a physical copy through the public library system.  I will also search the few publishers of out-of-print editions of which I'm aware, because as has been said, this book deserves a resurrection.  Maybe even Wiley would see their way clear to do so.  You never know.

Tom

Thomas D. Sandry

Thomas Sandry

• 7.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 07-21-2019 13:05
    I just wanted to note in this thread that since reaching out for help, I've made a great connection to a fellow lone-wolf consultant who has truly aided my search for the J. F. Box book for which I am very grateful on many levels. So thanks to Ms. Golbeck for her great suggestion to reach out.  Unfortunately, even with all this great help and excellent suggestions and determined follow-up, the situation described previously remains true, and just for reference, the available copies listed on the internet ask for from $90+ to $600+ for a single hardback copy in good condition, so the economics of collectibles is clearly exacerbating the difficulty of obtaining even an e-copy of the book's content for reference purposes, without physically visiting a distant library in person and possibly paying for a photocopy, presuming the owner was amenable.  If anyone can resolve this dilemma I'd welcome the help.  I'm all for preserving the historical value of reference works via determined collectors investing their own money, but what good does this do for folks in the real world without direct access to a university or big city library or a generous, trusting collector?

Tom

Thomas D. Sandry, PhD

Thomas Sandry

• 8.  RE: History of Statistics Book Nook - List of Topical Histories of Statistics Books Added

Posted 07-30-2019 18:15
    Since my last post to this thread, the local public library has secured an interlibrary loan from Vassar in Poughkeepsie, NY, which arrived today 7/30/2019.  Thanks to all who have suggested alternative libraries, and checked the catalog to verify the book was available.  This helped inspire my local librarian.  The book looks like a fascinating read about the life of R. A. Fisher, and the successful acquisition of a copy encourages me to consider some of the other older editions on the recommended reading list.  I'd still like to own a copy of the Joan Box book, so inquiring about a possible reprinting is still in the cards, again depending on the final price.  Hopefully the publisher would put out a paperback edition.

Tom

Thomas D. Sandry, PhD

Thomas Sandry