ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Webinar: Why Are Forecasts So Wrong? What Management Must Know About Forecasting

Posted 09-11-2018 14:29
    Hello Everyone,

We are excited to announce that registration for the next Webinar for the Statistical Consulting Section is up and running. You can register here. Information about the webinar is below.

Date:  September 19, 2018
    Time: Noon Eastern to 1:30 pm.
    Title: Why Are Forecasts So Wrong? What Management Must Know About Forecasting
    Speaker: Michael Gilliland, SAS Institute
    Registration: http://www.amstat.org/ASA/Education/Web-Based-Lectures.aspx
    Abstract:

In a series of articles in the journal Foresight, Steve Morlidge reported that 30-50% of real life business forecasts – the forecasts managers are using to run their organizations – are less accurate than a naïve forecast. This is astounding! And it raises the question: Why are real-life business forecasts so frequently so very wrong, and is there anything we can do about it?

This presentation reviews the main reasons why forecasts go wrong, and some of the worst practices that contribute to what Morlidge has called "avoidable error." It shows how the method of Forecast Value Added analysis – now being employed at dozens of companies worldwide – can identify the waste and inefficiency in a forecasting process and result in more accurate forecasts.

Rather than focus on ever more elaborate data and modeling efforts, a more direct route to forecasting improvement is to instead focus on the organizational practices that just make a forecast worse. This presentation provides material you will find useful when dealing with organizational forecasting processes, and with organizational management.

-------------------------
    Please let me know if there are any questions.

------------------------------
    Chuck Kincaid

Experis BI & Analytics Practice Business Analytics
    chuck.kincaid@experis.com

• 2.  RE: Webinar: Why Are Forecasts So Wrong? What Management Must Know About Forecasting

Posted 09-12-2018 17:07
    Sorry I won't be there for this. One of the primary responsibilities of the stats community is to educate our customers (both a as consultants and employees) about the implications of predictive models. Especially the degree of uncertainty and the implications of that uncertainty.

This is especially true of consultants who often oversell their products and under perform on their results.

Michael Mout
    MIKS

• 3.  RE: Webinar: Why Are Forecasts So Wrong? What Management Must Know About Forecasting

Posted 09-13-2018 16:01

September 19 is Yom Kippur this year. Many of our Jewish members who might wish to participate will be otherwise occupied that day.

Will a recording be available online for later viewing?

Stefan Sharkansky
    Useful Work, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Webinar: Why Are Forecasts So Wrong? What Management Must Know About Forecasting

Posted 09-17-2018 10:58
    I suggest you re-schedule to December 25. I expect many who cannot attend this one will probably be available then and I can't think of any other conflicts.

Paul Velleman
    Associate Professor
    Cornell University