ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  New JASA articles + book/journal clubs?

Posted 03-22-2017 13:27
    Edited by Lara Harmon 03-22-2017 13:26
    Hello, all!

It's been a while since I posted with updates from our journals that are available online! Rather than posting a full list of articles, which might make for awkward browsing if you're on mobile, I thought I might just direct you to JASA's list of most-recently-published articles, over on the Taylor & Francis hub: http://www.tandfonline.com/action/showAxaArticles?journalCode=uasa20

Quite a few articles have been published since I last posted! (As a layperson, the title that most grabbed my attention was "The Bouncy Particle Sampler.")

Let me know if you're having trouble accessing these. You'll need to be logged in to the ASA Community or the main amstat.org website and have cookies enabled in your browser, but, beyond those steps, they should be freely available to you. If you have any problems accessing them, just contact me at lara@amstat.org.

On the topic of journals, if anyone would be interested in starting journal or book clubs that use ASA Connect or section discussion groups, let me know! I would be happy to do what I can to connect people interested in starting these and to share ideas about how they might work.

- Lara

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: New JASA articles + book/journal clubs?

Posted 03-23-2017 04:05
    Are there any book/journal clubs for high school students?

Flora Quevedo
    Math Teacher
    Reading High School

• 3.  RE: New JASA articles + book/journal clubs?

Posted 03-23-2017 10:37
    Edited by Lara Harmon 03-23-2017 10:36
    Hello, Mrs. Quevedo!

We don't currently have any active book clubs running in the ASA Community discussion groups that I'm aware of (though, as you can tell, I'd be happy to see folks get some going!). One for high school students is an interesting idea. Do you have some thoughts on what sorts of books they might read?

As a layperson myself, I've read a handful of pop stats books that were interesting and that I *think* I might have found interesting as a teen, too, particularly if I were already emotionally/intellectually invested in math/stats/analytical thinking. The Ghost Map, by Steven Johnson, and Dear Data, by Giorgia Lupi and Stefanie Posavec, are two I've read that I think might work particularly well to get interesting discussions going around.

(To anyone reading this--do you have any recommendations for good books that might get high schoolers talking about stats-relevant topics?)

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator

• 4.  RE: New JASA articles + book/journal clubs?

Posted 03-27-2017 15:14
    Dear Flora Quevedo and Lara Harmon,

I happen to have written my recent blog post, Debunking the Scanlan Doctrine—Part 1, with an audience of bright high school students specifically in mind. In that post, I labored to achieve an elementary presentation within reach of bright students from the high schools where attorney James P. Scanlan has weighed in on racial disparities in discipline. I submit it to you humbly as a suitable and current topic of discussion with your students. I can recall to mind several of my own former high school students who could have read the post independently, and I am certain that many of my 11th and 12th-grade students could have engaged with it meaningfully as part of a classroom discussion or week-long teaching unit. I also hope to write upcoming Parts 2 and 3 at a similar level.

I have long regarded high school math curricula as flush with arcana better replaced by more living and vital matter from Statistics. I am so glad to see interest in Statistics coming from that direction, and hope the ASA community will rally to assist!

Kind regards,

David C. Norris, MD
    Precision Methodologies, LLC
    Seattle, WA

• 5.  RE: New JASA articles + book/journal clubs?

Posted 03-23-2017 12:40
    I think a book or journal club for high school students is a great idea! When I was teaching, I tried to use real-life examples as often as possible to drive a point home. I especially like to find videos and articles that misinterpreted statistics and have my students identify problems themselves. Here's one of my favorites: Rossen Reports: Can you believe diet frozen dessert labels? 

I've always wanted to use this idea as a project--assign students to find examples of statistics in the news and write a report, including things that were done well and things that could have been done better. Unfortunately, I've never had the time, but maybe others can set up something similar!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow