ASA Connect

View Only

Recap of 2022 and Happy New Year!

• 1.  Recap of 2022 and Happy New Year!

Posted 12-30-2022 13:54

Dear ASA Community,

As we close out 2022 and welcome in 2023 the presidency of ASA transitions from me to Dr. Dionne Price. Dionne and I have worked closely together for the last 6 months, and I am extremely excited by her plans for 2023.  I want to use this opportunity to thank your 2022 ASA Board and the exceptional ASA staff that advance our vision "of a world that relies on data and statistical thinking" daily.

In addition to expertly addressing real-time issues associated with meetings, journals, and equity, this year, the ASA board was able to move forward with strategic enhancements to support the ASA mission of promoting the practice and profession of statistics. I discussed some of these throughout the year in my presidential column and provide a high-level summary.

• Data Science and AI:
      • Instituted the permanent DS and AI advisory committee to the ASA board.
      • ASA joins CSAB, the computing accreditation board for ABET. Other society members are ACM and IEEE-CS. DS accreditation is in place for undergraduate programs. ASA has also joined the Academic Data Science Alliance as an institutional member.
      • ASA supports DS education through a $1.5million grant from NSF to support students participating in the National Data Mine.
    • Leadership Institute:
      • A multi-year presidential focus, the leadership institute is established with 2023 serving as the inaugural year. I will serve as the first director of the leadership institute executive committee.
      • Inaugural annual IDEA Forum was held in November, focusing on the critical role of statistics in managing the changing climate. The Forum will be featured in the February 2023 issue of CHANCE.
      • Established the Caucus of Industry Representatives, with Dr. Ginger Holt serving as the initial chair of the committee. 2023 will be the inaugural year for this committee.

As we reflect on 2022, I remind you of the 2022 JSM theme: Statistical Foundations Driving 21st Century Innovation. Our rapidly changing world requires the talents and skills of statisticians and our profession to advance positive and productive innovation. I'm excited about the JSM 2023 theme of One Community: Informing Decisions and Driving Discover.

I wish everyone a year of health, joy, peace, success, and prosperity in 2023, and thank you again for the opportunity to serve as your 2022 President.

Dionne, you're up!!! 

Kathy Ensor

2022 President ASA

2022 ASA Board: Dionne Price (President-Elect), Scarlett Bellamy (VP), Nicholas Horton (VP), Maria Matilde Kam (VP), Ruixiao Lu (Treasurer), Ron Wasserstein (Secretary), Catherine Calder (Council of Sections Rep), Rebecca Hubbard (Council of Sections Rep), Michelle Shardell (Council of Sections Rep), Bin Nan (Publication Rep), Alexandra Schmidt (International Rep), Alexandra Hanlon (Council of Chapters Rep), Ji-Hyun Lee (Council of Chapters Rep), Kendra Schmid (Council of Chapters Rep)

------------------------------
    Kathy Ensor
    2022 ASA President
    Noah G. Harding Professor of Statistics
    Rice University
    HoustonTX
    ------------------------------