ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Survey from Annals of Internal Medicine

Posted 10-10-2018 21:05

"Of 522 consulting biostatisticians contacted, 390 provided sufficient responses: a completion rate of 74.7%. The 4 most frequently reported inappropriate requests rated as "most severe" by at least 20% of the respondents were, in order of frequency, removing or altering some data records to better support the research hypothesis; interpreting the statistical findings on the basis of expectation, not actual results; not reporting the presence of key missing data that might bias the results; and ignoring violations of assumptions that would change results from positive to negative. These requests were reported most often by younger biostatisticians."

Link to full article:
    Researcher Requests for Inappropriate Analysis and Reporting: A U.S. Survey of Consulting Biostatisticians

------------------------------
    Francois Dion
    Chief Data Scientist
    Dion Research LLC

• 2.  RE: Survey from Annals of Internal Medicine

Posted 10-12-2018 11:03
    Not at all surprising, but I'm very glad someone did this work, if only to generate more discussion and some real data to put to this.  I know from chatting with colleagues both inside and outside my institution that we all have at least one of these stories.

Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Assistant Professor of Medicine
    Center for Research on Health Care Data Center (CRHC-DC)
    Center for Clinical Trials & Data Coordination (CCDC)
    University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
    200 Meyran Avenue, Suite 300
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Email: ada62@pitt.edu
    Twitter: @ADAlthousePhD

• 3.  RE: Survey from Annals of Internal Medicine

Posted 10-15-2018 14:48
    I think half of the top 4 are standard practice and even taught in my "Analytical" chemistry class. The other half are pretty routine.

Andrew Ekstrom

Statistician, Chemist, HPC Abuser;-)