ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Average

Posted 02-28-2019 11:22
    Friends,
    I ran across a most interesting podcast. I was wondering about your thoughts.   If focuses on the concept and history of "average".  It is most fascinating

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/on-average/

------------------------------
    Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023

• 2.  RE: Average

Posted 03-01-2019 06:28
    I found the video, finally, at the bottom of the web page. I also found it to be very interesting, with provocative thoughts on designing for success. Statisticians know the interesting thing about statistics is how things vary, this video gives a new way of looking at that.

Mark Pierzchala
    Owner
    MMP Survey Services, LLC

• 3.  RE: Average

Posted 03-01-2019 16:02
    Ron

Interesting podcast. Sam Savage's book " Flaw of Averages: Why We Understate Risk in the Face of Uncertainty" Wiley 2009 is  a helpful study of how we rely on averages to our peril in the area of forecasting.

Mike

Michael Sack Elmaleh
    Principal
    Michael Sack Elmaleh CPA, CVA

• 4.  RE: Average

Posted 03-03-2019 08:15

My two cents:  the podcast was entertaining as it presented some interesting examples of over-reliance on averages and its consequences.  But I found the presentation simplistic, statistically and historically, and very repetitive, very repetitive.  Roland

Roland Stark
    Statistician/Research Consultant
    Integrative Statistics

• 5.  RE: Average

Posted 03-04-2019 13:23

A good introduction for laypeople (although the history should be fascinating to everyone).

It would be nice to find a similar video about variation.

Dennis Sweitzer
    Principal Biostatistician

• 6.  RE: Average

Posted 03-05-2019 06:54
    Yes, realy fascinating. Very useful as introductory material in any statistics class. Automaticaly incorporated to my class notes. Thank you very much 

Alfredo Bernardis

• 7.  RE: Average

Posted 03-05-2019 14:31
    Statistics friends,
    I am so glad that many of your liked the average podcast.  It is being incorporated into statistics courses as we speak

Here is a second set of videos that I found to be really good. A psychologist in the UK was teaching statistics as well as modern dance.  She blended the two with a really nice set of videos explaining statistical concept with modern dance.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/10/statistics-explained-with-modern-dance.html

If you have other really entertaining and cool statistics videos, please let our community know

ron

Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
    University of Pittsburgh
    ronaldlaporte@gmail.com
    724 934 9023