ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Decolonizing syllabi

• 1.  Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-21-2020 08:44
    I was wondering if anybody on this listserv has started decolonizing their syllabus/syllabi.
    I'm interested in learning and possibly collaborating with others.
    This coming spring, I teach two doctoral-level courses. One on Structural Equation Modeling and one on advanced methods which is a kind of survey course that introduces students to advanced statistical methods on a mostly conceptual level (covering things such as missing data, propensity score analysis, multilevel modeling, time-series analyses, LCA, etc.)
    If anybody has any statistics specific resources (beyond history of racism in statistics) to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

------------------------------
    Regine Haardoerfer
    Research Associate Professor
    Emory University

• 2.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-22-2020 07:52
    Hello Regine,

While I'm not familiar with any resources for this at Rollins I would imagine that folks in the Section on Statistics and Data Science Education or the Teaching Statistics in Health Sciences Section might know of some.

Best!

Jessica Randall

• 3.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-22-2020 09:19
    Thanks, Jessica! I will reach out to them.
    Regine

Regine Haardoerfer
    Research Assistant Professor
    Emory University

• 4.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-22-2020 08:33
    I didn't think it was possible to make SEM worse but adding CRT certainly accomplishes the task.

Robert O'Brien

• 5.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-22-2020 12:18
      |   view attached
    Hi Regine,

I certainly am not an expert in these issues, and I am taking opportunities to keep learning.  Here (attached) is a resource that was presented to me in a workshop this summer.  I myself still have lots of questions about what it suggests, but nevertheless, the ideas in the document have helped me examine aspects of my course that are rooted in white supremacy. I found it to be helpful as a starting point for critiquing my courses/syllabi, and I thought it may be helpful for you as well. 

Warmly,
    Nicola

N. Justice
    Assistant Professor
    Pacific Lutheran University

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 15:17
    Hi, I read the handout you were given.  Not asking you to defend the person who handed you this paper, but curious if it's generally accepted that objectivity is considered a white supremacy belief? 

Does this not undermine the axioms of scientific endeavor?

Weston McManus
    SAS Institute

• 7.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 12-10-2020 08:59
    I read through the "White Supremacy Culture Antidotes" document.

It is completely bonkers. Where is there even a single shred of empirical evidence that any of the listed characteristics are more common to Americans of European ancestry than to Americans of other ancestry, let alone that these characteristics "promote white supremacy"? 

It saddens me to see the insidious crackpot notions of "critical race theory" taken at all seriously in the statistical community, which is supposed to be all about rigorous evaluation of actual evidence.

Stefan Sharkansky, PhD
    Useful Work, Inc.
    Bellevue,WA

• 8.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 07:20
    Although I think that critical theory done poorly really is both frustrating and a waste of time - I haven't read the "White Supremacy Culture Antidotes" to know if I would think it well- or poorly-done - I have learned a lot from my engagement with (good) critical theory. In a very real sense, it is an extended examination of the "context" that we statisticians either randomize away (via RCT) or add as a level (in multilevel modeling) and so on. Hence, even though much of it may not directly involve data and estimates, I don't think that we need to exclude it from serious statistical discussions.

Bernard Ricca
    St. John Fisher College

• 9.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-22-2020 13:24
    Thank you for starting this thread! I am not currently teaching, but I am especially concerned about the way race is presented in our textbooks and would love to hear about anything you find in that regard. I think you would get some helpful resources from the Anti-racist Statistics Educators group on Slack, which has about 130 members. I am not an administrator of the group, but if you will send me your email address, I will pass it along to the administrators so they can send you an invitation. (Anyone else who is interested in joining the group is welcome to do the same.)

Best regards,
    Laurie Samuels

Lauren Samuels
    Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

• 10.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-24-2020 02:51
    Hi Regine, 

Great topic! One of the notable changes I made in my syllabus partly to Covid and partly to decolonize it.

I look away my strict language about "using good grammar" and how I might deduct points for not writing at a college level (I teach community college). Given that people around the US speak so differently, I didn't want to "force" students to write like me. The real goal is communication so as long as we are communicating, then I consider that a success. (I do tell students if something is unclear, then they may be asked to make changed, but there is no penalty). 

Mostly due to covid, and because my class is online/asynchronous, I'm very relaxed about late assignments. If the work is a few days late, the students don't need to contact me at all. If the assignment is "really" late, then they need to communicate with me about an alternate due date. I encourage students to advocate for themselves -- which is a life skill -- and communicate with me. I realize this can be awkward for some students to message me, but it's very clear that I'll always give an extension and no reason needs to be given. 

I also create a discussion board for feedback during the term/"find my mistakes", and I reward students a modest amount of points for their keen eyes. I let them know I'm not perfect and I am just doing my best. 

That's my work so far. I'll also say that my syllabus is a mile long and students get a good vibe from the class right on the first day. I'm open with them and I hope that they are open with me. 

I was reading through Nicole's document (I also saw that come through my college; we work in the same state) and this line, under Perfectionism, is something I've thought a lot about: "tendency to identify what's wrong; little ability to identify, name, and appreciate what's right ". Just like my 4-year-old gets "check marks" next to the outcomes she's meeting at the state level for her development, I'd love to see more feedback given to students about their work that is really positive and shows how they are progressing. Instead of the outcome, "you can compute a confidence interval", I'd like to see 10+ positive steps that the student can do that apply to this outcome, as well as other course level outcomes. I think it would build students' confidence in their knowledge to see exactly what they know. 

Jennifer

Jennifer Ward
    Clark College

• 11.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-24-2020 08:46
    Thanks so much for the helpful replies so far!
    I'll get started and will post an update on what changes I'm contemplating in a bit.

What I had not yet posted is a bit about the things that I have implemented this fall semester with a colleague.
    We are teaching an intro stats course for behavioral science doctoral students in public health for the first time.

We started the semester with readings on epistemologies and how colonization and racism are intertwined in what we consider "legitimate" knowledge. If anybody is interested, the second edition of Chilisa's Indigenous Research Methodologies is very accessible and the students appreciated the readings and discussions - especially in regard to federal funding priorities in such. We as instructors both shared our positionalities and how it influences how we approach research. While we are both white, my colleague is male and has been good at pointing out his privilege throughout. We also asked the students to write about their positionality and the ensuing discussions were really good. We are working on continuing those discussions in different spaces, one being a mini-series for the ethics program of our graduate school.
    The other thing we have done is around race in modeling:
    1. We talked explicitly about how race is socially constructed and that we should never just throw race into a model. We need to make the hypothesized mechanisms of how racism functions explicit for every example.
    2. We do not use race as a variable in examples unless we make it explicitly a topic of discussion. The repeated exposure of POC to race in statistics classes is a constant reminder of racial inequities in our society and does in that way not contribute to learning e.g. about effect modification. We also are troubling gender and sex as dichotomies similarly, e.g. by making the rampant practice of trans-erasure explicit. Not that we have great solutions...

I hope to continue this discussion :)

Regine

Regine Haardoerfer
    Research Associate Professor
    Emory University

• 12.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-26-2020 10:26
    I really like the idea of using the question of "what we consider 'legitimate' knowledge" to frame an introductory statistics class. And thank you for the book recommendation; I will add that to my list. I look forward to hearing how the rest of the course goes!

Lauren Samuels

• 13.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-26-2020 13:12
    Might Werner Ulrich's critical systems heuristics be of use?  It provides a simple set of twelve questions that deal with issues of power that arise in deciding what expertise will be used (and which should be), which experts will be recognized (and which should be), and the like.

See https://wulrich.com/csh, https://www.betterevaluation.org/en/plan/approach/critical_system_heuristics, and https://www.researchgate.net/publication/43642939_Critical_Systems_Heuristics.

Bill Harris
    Data & Analytics Consultant
    Snohomish County PUD

• 14.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-29-2020 16:44
    The claim that all racial disparities are due to racism is absurd and manifestly false. Sometimes it is due to racism but it can also be due to genetics, culture, environment or more often than not a combination of any of those things. Poor health outcomes are associated with the Southern diet (culture) which is common to Whites and Blacks in the South. This would be in addition to lack of access to quality healthcare Black Americans disproportionately experience (racism). When a Haitian male declines a digital rectal examination for prostate cancer because he views it as taboo that is culture, not racism, although he might very well also experience racism/xenophobia as he navigates the American healthcare system. The much lower incidence of keratinocyte cancers among Blacks as compared to Whites is a function of epidermal melanin, not a social construct, that is captured, albeit imperfectly, by race/ethnicity variables. Sex differences are also an objective fact by the way. There are certain studies (such as sexual risk), where it would be appropriate to have a separate category for transgendered persons but for others the gender/sex the person was born as would be the correct variable. 

Critical race theory is the new Lysenkoism and I thank you and others for illustrating its vacuity Dr. Haardoerfer.

Robert O'Brien

• 15.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-24-2020 13:22
    Dr. O'Brien, Dr. Haardoerfer asked for resources on a topic she is interested in incorporating into her teaching and it seems as though others are finding them useful as well. If you don't have any resources on this topic to contribute there is no need to engage in this thread. If you disagree with her need for the resources you might consider taking that conversation to her privately.

Jessica Randall

• 16.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-25-2020 19:00
    Dr. Randall, I disagree. Dr. O'Brien's observations regarding the suicide of the mind are very useful indeed to this thread and to this community.

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 17.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-26-2020 12:49
    Beware the cancel culture.

[Mick] [Norton]
    [Professor Emeritus]
    [College of Charleston][]

• 18.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-26-2020 18:55
    I concur with Hal.

James Loughlin
    J2Logic/Loughlin Consulting

• 19.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-30-2020 10:29
    Dr. O'Brien, I don't follow your logic in the first part of your message here. Rather than asking you to clarify it here, though, I'm wondering whether you would consider starting a new thread under the topic of measuring and analyzing racial disparities, and posting a link to that thread in this discussion. This would allow you to register your disagreement with the premise underlying Dr. Haardoerfer's original post, while a) making the current thread somewhat easier to navigate in this clunky and outdated medium (I'm hoping the ASA will switch to a format more like Stack Overflow, but that's totally beside the point here) and b) opening up the discussion to people who are not even reading this thread because they think the topic "Decolonizing syllabi" does not relate to them.

I do want to respond directly to two other aspects of your post:

1. Please be aware that, in terms of biology, some humans do not fall neatly into biological categories of male and female; that is, not everyone is "born as" strictly one sex or the other. I am not talking about gender here; it's just that human biology is especially complex, and some humans are born with female genitalia but XY chromosomes, and other humans are born with ambiguous genitalia, and there are many other possible variations, all of which currently fall under the umbrella of "intersex." I am mentioning this because just this week I watched a wonderful documentary, Stories of Intersex and Faith (https://www.storiesofintersexandfaith.com), which I would highly recommend to any of us who analyze data related to biological sex. Once again, I am not talking about gender here; I'm just encouraging us, as a profession, to acknowledge the facts of human sex development in our work and in our language.  (I am also not sure what you mean by "also" in your sentence "Sex differences are also an objective fact..." If you were saying that there is some sort of objective difference between human races, I encourage you to read Fatal Invention by Dorothy Roberts (https://thenewpress.com/books/fatal-invention) before posting further on the subject of race.)

2. As a member of this community, I do not appreciate the snide and dismissive tone in your last sentence, or in your earlier post about SEM. As I see it, disagreement is generally good for a community, but it seems like the only purpose of some of your words is to put other people down. I hope that in your future posts, you will refrain from such unnecessary condescension.

Lauren Samuels

• 20.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 09:24
    Dr. Samuels:

1. I do not dispute the existence of intersex individuals, although the prevalence is quite low. And the only objective difference among the races I intended to convey in my post was the specific, uncontroversial one I cited. (Lactose malabsorption would be another.)

2. Fair enough. You appear to be the irenic sort and that is to your credit.

Robert O'Brien

• 21.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 12-10-2020 08:58
    Wouldn't these students be better served by teaching them... statistics? They can get the recolonization material elsewhere if they choose.

It seems some comments have been removed from this thread, possibly prompted by this tweet: https://twitter.com/DocHoch19/status/1319710450100146177. Kinda smells like censorship.

Regardless, this is a farewell message. I've been a member of the ASA for 12 years, but it's no longer a professional society that I can support. As a non-American, it pains me to see a country that has contributed so much to science and knowledge shoot itself in the foot, and I would have liked to see the ASA step up instead of making things worse. All the best!

Stanley E. Lazic, PhD
    https://stanlazic.github.io/

• 22.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-27-2020 10:59
    Good for you. I've been pondering doing the same thing myself, but haven't brought myself to be able to break the decades-long tie.

[Mick] [Norton]
    [Professor Emeritus]
    [College of Charleston][]

• 23.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-30-2020 22:36

I wanted share a few comments on this topic. I fully understand those who expressed dissatisfaction with too much focus on this topic and I am also rethinking my subscription but I will put that aside for now.

Regarding the idea of racism, I am sure it exists to some extent but I am not sure it is systemic in our country. And I am not sure it is all due to white privilege and bias. Let me explain.

As someone who has a PhD in statistics, I am going to offer some non-statistical and mostly anecdotal comments based on my experience. So my comments are non-scientific.

I live in Houston which is the 4th largest city in the US (soon to be the 3rd overtaking Chicago by 2025 according to articles I read) and by any measure is one of the most diverse major cities in the country. I worked for over 25 years at 2 major international energy companies and each employed over 1500 people in their Houston offices.

The companies were diverse from an overall standpoint. However, I noticed the following from at least one of the companies if not both:

• The Trading floor, headed by a while males was staffed by predominantly white male employees

• The Human resources department, headed by a black person was staffed by predominantly black employees

• The Sales and Marketing department was headed by a Latino (perhaps for the bilingual skills needed) was staffed by a high percentage of Latinos

• The IT department was headed by an Asian Indian and there were multiple IT groups for retail, wholesale, projects, etc. That said,

• groups that were headed by an Asian Indians had a very high percentage of Indians on their teams. Some were relatives, some were neighbors from India, etc.

• groups that were headed by an Asian Orientals had a very high percentage of Orientals on their teams

• The Accounting and Finance group was headed by a woman. Sure enough, there were mostly women in her department

• Right before I left, they hired a VP who was from Serbia. A few months later, we had two new employees in management positions – guess where they were from

So overall, we were very diverse. However, I can't help but believe that there was bias in hiring. Again, this is only anecdotal and non-scientific. But I would ask all of you, next time you go to your company lunchroom or visit a diverse college or high school cafeteria, observe where people are sitting. I would almost bet that whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos, women will be sitting in mostly homogeneous groups. That said, I contacted AARP a few years back and they wrote me saying that perhaps the biggest issue regarding discrimination and bias was age discrimination. I believe it. When I was in my upper 40's, I applied for an academic position in TX. I went well but I was told that: "The group thought you were too seasoned".

I will never know what is in a persons heart regarding racism or bias unless something tragic happens but it seems to to me to my dismay and sadness that all ethic, gender, age, racial and other groups tend to favor their own even if it is not intentional. Perhaps they want someone on their team that they feel will "fit in" and join them for lunches and other events. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Dave Olsen

• 24.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 08:02

Of course you should teach statistics.  What data sets you choose to consider, how you speak about the eugenics that was a part of statistics, and how you engage with your students is all part of being more equitable.  Do you talk about the fact that what and how data is collected and experimentation is designed is ultimately influenced by our perspective?  To do so is to invite the concept that perhaps a lot of findings might have differed had people of color been involved in the process.  This invites students of color in to a space that has NOT been inviting and is NOT taught by faculty of color.

What percent of statisticians are black?  Latino?  Remember that there was never any data to show that orchestras were biased against women horn players until there was finally a blind audition.  The same experimentation has not happened for academia. It should. 

This change can not happen until white people like us rethink how we teach what we teach.  Critical Race Theory is only problematic to those who are not willing to think about your own whiteness has impacted all that you have achieved and all you do. 

You can not be colorblind.

Julia Guggenheimer

• 25.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 08:48
    What evidence do you have that Black and Hispanic people are underrepresented in statistics due to not implementing critical race theory as opposed to unequal educational opportunities in primary and secondary education? Your bald assertion would be summarily rejected in any other context. (And rightfully so.) Moreover, critical race theory is problematic to those who value statistics, science, and reason because it specifically attacks all those things by associating logic, reason, and science with "white supremacy culture."

Robert O'Brien

• 26.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 13:06
    I agree that our perspectives can influence how data are collected and experiments designed. We can teach this without recourse to CRT! Teach about the dangers confirmation bias, about unrepresentative samples and generalisation, about how wording on surveys can shift responses, about HARKING, p-hacking, and so on, and how all of these can enable a researcher to support a predetermined view (whether conscious or unconscious). For example, a study showing the health benefits of a plant-based diet... written by vegans, discuss.

CRT is the latest metastasis of postmodern neo-Marxist thinking that adds little to STEM subjects; it sows division and discord and thereby weakens relationships and society. As a theory it can be rejected on pragmatic grounds -- pragmatism, another wonderful thing that America has given the world (from what I understand, CRT isn't big on evidence anyway).

Stanley E. Lazic, PhD

• 27.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-29-2020 21:41

I don't know why there are relatively few Black and Latino statisticians. I hope we will see more in the future.  It would be great to both expand the available talent pool of statisticians and to expand the set of desired and accessible career paths to people from those backgrounds. When empirical research demonstrates that there specific obstacles to their advancement we can discuss and implement specific solutions.  If you know of empirical research on the subject, please share some sources. Either way, I hope more research will be done on this question. Since there are so many, say, East Asian and South Asian statisticians who excel as both teachers and students of white statisticians, I suspect that the lower numbers of Black and Latino statisticians is due to factors other than "a space that has NOT been inviting and is NOT taught by faculty of color", or "white supremacy". 

But how can we seriously address this issue through Critical Race Theory, with its gauzily defined concepts and non-falsifiable assumptions such as "systemic racism" and "whiteness", and with its deliberately divisive attribution of certain attitudes and behaviors to individuals solely on the basis of their "color"?  None of that has any more empirical foundation than other pseudosciences such as Astrology, Aromatherapy or Nazi Race Theory. Yet its adherents preach it with the same certitude and emotional fervor as the evangelists for a revealed religion.

Statements such as "not willing to think about your own whiteness has impacted all that you have achieved and all you do" have no more demonstrated effectiveness than the sandwich board appeals to "Repent. The end is nigh".

Stefan Sharkansky, PhD
    Useful Work, Inc.
    Bellevue,WA

• 28.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-30-2020 14:26
    Well said.

James Loughlin

• 29.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 11:22
    Dr. Sharkansky, I am just at the beginning of educating myself on this subject and unfortunately have no information regarding U.S. history related to Latino statisticians. But I highly recommend the following three books if you are interested in the relevant history related to the relative numbers of Black statisticians in the U.S:

1. Stony the Road by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/575769/stony-the-road-by-henry-louis-gates-jr/)
    2. The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander (https://thenewpress.com/books/new-jim-crow)
    3. The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein (https://www.epi.org/publication/the-color-of-law-a-forgotten-history-of-how-our-government-segregated-america/)

This list is just a beginning, but it would be a good place to start.

Lauren Samuels

• 30.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-27-2020 11:54
    I support this discussion, in this forum.  Variation is the life source of statistics and your discomfort with difficult topics is not an excuse to stifle that discussion. Ignore the outliers.  This is a useful and relevant discussion.

Miguel Garcia
    Principal Statistician
    Boehringer-Ingleheim

• 31.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 07:02
    This is all so very interesting.  Having read through the well-meaning comments and attachments, I can tell this group as a business person I am hopeful.  I am hopeful because it reminds us that the best can be found in places we may not look.  But I would strongly caution anyone preparing students for the world of business that the attachments I read are dangerous to the students.  In business we value specific traits in all our employees: accuracy, honesty, the ability to communicate well in both written a spoken form, punctuality and achievement of measurable goals.  This may not make all people feel loved or in some cases even welcome, but a business must run according to certain rules or be crushed by the competition.  We can not have people showing up late and finishing projects when they feel up to it.  Not because I don't care about them, but because if we don't deliver on time in the format that the customer desires, they will go elsewhere and the business will collapse.  If academia churns out ill-prepared students who don't have a solid grasp of statistics and are unable to clearly and concisely make their understanding known, these students will not find employment.  It sounds cruel and frustrating and you may want to shake for fist against the unfairness of ranking and rating people according to metrics, but there is no other method we in business know of that will drive progress and creativity at speed and lowest cost.  Please hold your students to the highest standards of excellence.  Challenge them all to do better and the best will respond.  Even if "the best" means teaching them how to navigate within existing paradigms.

Charles Allard
    CEO

• 32.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 08:56
    Discussions are fine, sermons are not. If people want to post mere assertions, including those that are easily refuted such as all racial disparities are due to racism, without wanting them criticized then they can take the discussion to a message board or an e-mail list devoted to "anti-racism" where they can have the epistemic closure they need.

Robert O'Brien

• 33.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 08:58
    I do hope Dr. Lazic reconsiders his reaction and view of ASA as a professional society.  This is not because decolonizing syllabi are right or wrong or a good idea or not a good idea, but rather from the continued danger blogs and social media have on our behavior.  ASA is a large professional society with diverse views and the tendency by all of us is to react to the loudest or last voices we hear.  Personally, I don't like oysters, but if someone where extolling the benefits and beauty of eating oysters  on the ASA connect should I resign from ASA?  Retreating to our corners is helping polarize populations worldwide and as statisticians we should know very well that those who write on blogs are not a random sample of the population.  Further, maybe inferences from that should not cause us to take actions.  Do I think ASA should take a tough stand and advocate for the head of CDC to resign - I do, but because they don't, doesn't mean I should resign from ASA.  I don't much like Guinness, but because Gossett worked at this brewery, should I not teach the t-test? Is there too much bandwagon and not much measurement about the goals of all the endeavors going on?  Absolutely, but as a professional society don't we need to be the voice from data?  Blogs are opinion from a biased sample, not one that is right or wrong, but certainly not a random sample.

[Gary] [Cutter]
    [Emeritus Professor]
    [UAB School of Public Healtth]

• 34.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 11:49
    Dear Prof Cutter,

To continue with your oyster example, I do think it grounds for leaving if the ASA were to remove posts by people who point out that the touted benefits of oysters have been misinterpreted, over-inflated, or non-existent. If you're undecided about oysters, your perception will be influenced by the material you read (both what you actively seek and what passively enters your news feeds). For the ASA to skew this information stream is unacceptable (I let Twitter get away with it because they don't charge me $180 a year!).

Stanley E. Lazic, PhD

• 35.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-03-2020 18:12
    "Blogs are opinion from a biased sample, not one that is right or wrong, but certainly not a random sample."

Thank you for that!

Shannon Howell

• 36.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 10:59
    This is Richard's girlfriend responding. A great way to start would be to look at feminist research methodologies from qualitative research. These theories might help you to think about how you could apply this to quantitative approaches. I personally use a lot of mixed methods because both qualitative and quantitative approach an issue from different perspectives with different kind of data. I find that they really enrich each other. I also use a lot of critical participatory research where I engage with key stakeholders as co-researchers and co-research designers. I often work with people who don't have a research background but can help me conceptualize and develop research questions, think about the implications of my methodologies, and help me to question my assumptions. My most fruitful work in this area happens when I work with people from different racial, ethnic, and oral language backgrounds than mine. A book that might help you think about how to engage in this kind of research was written by Michelle fine. It is called just research and contentious times: widening the methodological imagination. It gives an overview of participatory research and gives several examples of how Dr. Fine has done this kind of research throughout her career. While this doesn't give you specific ways to decolonize your syllabi, it may help you to conceptualize and question some of the areas in quantitative research that are heavily influenced by colonialism.

Lately I have been combining design-based research with critical participatory action research as a way to develop my courses and my program. I am going out and doing research in the community with the key stakeholders and working with them to understand their perspectives on the things that I teach, and I use this data for curriculum design. I often work directly with people in our community who are marginalized to design my curriculum. I teach my students to do the same thing.

Richard Passey
    Student Masters Biostatistics
    IU School of Public Health Fairbanks

• 37.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-28-2020 10:58
    Edited by Nusrat Rabbee 10-28-2020 10:58
    Hi Regine:

Love this topic. I used to teach undergraduates and MA students and would have found this topic/discussion very useful. I featured a "HATE FREE ZONE" sign in my office which many students appreciated! :) Currently I am an author of stats books and would like to learn more about decolonizing the subject areas of statistics, math and computer science. In my mind, race, gender and class should be included in any decolonization guidelines.

The topics you mentioned in the attachment are relevant. Unfortunately most classes still require a grade - although many institutions now have adopted other policies. (a) One thing I have found useful is the inclusion of examples and datasets that are from diverse walks of life. This may require additional work from using simply what is given in the textbook. (b) Having more student voices heard in the classroom was something I needed to work on (c) Encouraging prof-student interaction for every student is also something I tried very hard to implement. 

Overall I find this topic you introduced as very useful, relevant and extremely urgent to address as we educate our young leaders!

Nusrat Rabbee
    Senior Director, Statistical Methodology
    Eisai, Inc

• 38.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-29-2020 09:53
    It seems to me that a statistics course is the ideal place to address the subject head on.  What is systemic racism?  How can we operationally define it?  What are some indices we can use to measure it?  What data can we use to base estimates on?  How can we validate the data?  What are appropriate hypotheses (and alternatives) to test?  How should we best address them with the data?  What conclusions can we then draw? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the analysis? All of these questions can generate terrific discussions and engage students in a way befitting our profession.

John Major
    Guy Carpenter & Co., LLC

• 39.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-29-2020 16:44

It is with respect to the issues raised by John Major that, in theory, ASA members should have special expertise.  One question members interested in the measurement of racism could usefully consider is whether a decisionmaker is more likely to be racially biased in Situation 1 (where decisions yield favorable outcome rates for whites and blacks of 80% and 63%) or in Situation 2 (where white and black rate favorable outcome rates are 95% and 87%).

It would be useful for those addressing questions like this to understand that if the outcome rates involve health or healthcare issues and Situations 1 and 2 involve earlier and later points in time, then:

(a) for purpose of evaluating progress in meeting Healthy People 2020 disparities reduction goals, the National Center for Health Statistics would appraise the situation as follows depending on whether the outcome involves a health or healthcare issue:
    (i) if the outcome involves a health issue like survival from cancer or COVID-19, the disparity would be deemed to have increased (on the basis of the larger relative difference in the adverse outcome at the later point in time); 
    (ii) if the outcome involves a healthcare issue like receipt of vaccination, the disparity would be deemed to have decreased (on the basis of the smaller relative difference in the favorable outcome at the later point in time); 

(b) for purposes of the yearly National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality would appraise the situation as follows regardless of whether the outcome involves a health or healthcare issue:
    (i) the disparity would be deemed to be larger at the later point in time (on the basis of the larger relative difference in the adverse outcome at the later point in time); 
    (ii) the disparity would be deemed to have decreased over time (on the basis of the larger percentage point decrease in the adverse outcome for blacks than for whites).

The extent to which ASA members are aware of the potential for these varying interpretations, and are able to provide insight into the utility of any them for quantifying racism or other factors causing favorable and corresponding adverse outcome rates of racial groups to differ, would reflect whether they ASA members or statisticians generally in fact have special expertise with regard to issues raised by Dr. Major.

James Scanlan
    James P. Scanlan Attorney At Law

• 40.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-30-2020 14:37
    Here's an obvious suggestion. The basic problem is tribalism. Racism is one of its forms. Humans lived in tribes, usually 200 or so, for 100,000 years before joining bigger groups from 5,000 - 10,000 years ago. Tribalism evolved. It is not just white on black: for recent examples, see Northern Ireland or Serbia for white on white, and Rwanda (and the gangs of LA?) for black on black. Being evolved doesn't make it good or impossible to correct. It means correction will be hard and never fully complete: we need "eternal vigilance." It also means that guilt-tripping whole groups is worse than useless: if that's what critical race theory does, get rid of it. This thread has shown some good ideas: I'd pick John Major and James Scanlan as examples. I hope it continues on these lines and adds more details.

Allan Stewart-Oaten
    Emeritus, Ecology and Statistics
    University of California, Santa Barbara

• 41.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 08:30
    The lack of sympathy is astounding.  

For data sets about the how there has been systematic denial of opportunity for people of color, I highly recommend going to the Center for Investigative Reporting.  They have a lot of interesting links.  

For relevant ideas about teaching statistics using present day topics for an Intro class I recommend "Skew the Script."  It is a website created by a high school teacher and has fabulous ideas.

As statisticians, our goal is to gather data and interpret.  It is not interesting that there are so many smart white people so entrenched in their idea of superiority.  We were raised in a sea of racism.  I highly recommend books like "Caste" by Isabel Wilkerson and "Stamped" by Ibram Kendi.  When considering the racist origins of our country, perhaps you will get a better idea of why your achievements are on the backs of so many who were denied opportunities.

As for the genetics argument about ability, I thought we were past that.  Please get off this strand.  It is not helpful. I have enough agita from the daily onslaught of bad news.  I do not need it from a listserv.

Julia Guggenheimer

• 42.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 09:39
    The lack of sympathy is astounding.

I am astounded by the lack of substantive argumentation I have observed by those advocating for your position to date.

As statisticians, our goal is to gather data and interpret.  It is not interesting that there are so many smart white people so entrenched in their idea of superiority.  We were raised in a sea of racism.  I highly recommend books like "Caste" by Isabel Wilkerson and "Stamped" by Ibram Kendi.  When considering the racist origins of our country, perhaps you will get a better idea of why your achievements are on the backs of so many who were denied opportunities.

Mere assertions do not equate to evidence. Moreover, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim, not the skeptic. As for recommended reading, I refer you and others to the critiques of White Fragility by Matt Taibbi and John McWhorter, respectively. 

As for the genetics argument about ability, I thought we were past that. Please get off this strand. It is not helpful. I have enough agita from the daily onslaught of bad news. I do not need it from a listserv.

Who exactly advanced that argument? I do not recall anyone making that claim.

Robert O'Brien

• 43.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-03-2020 07:55
    If readers want a quick sense of what black people in academia have experienced, check out the Twitter page "Black in the Ivory". You get accounts like someone being hit with a racial slur then being told not to make waves when she complains about it. And a lot more...

Edward Gracely
    Drexel University

• 44.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-03-2020 13:53
    This seems addressed to someone ("you") but I can't tell who. It was paired with my note on tribalism, so I'll respond just in case.

1) I've been actively inolved in efforts to counter racism, especially its effects in higher ed, for decades. I'll bet most people in this thread are similar. It's not a "sympathy" contest.

2) I've looked at, and used, several data sets of this kind, mainly related to factors affecting higher ed admissions and graduation. The references look helpful though: thanks.

3) I've seen your books and I'll raise you one: Wilkerson's "The Warmth of Other Suns," on the 'Great Migration' (~1920-1970), is superb.

4) My note said nothing at all about ability. In "Guns, Germs and Steel" Jared Diamond makes a good argument that, based on natural selection, the mountain people of New Guinea are likely to be more intelligent than people in white and other 'civilizations.'

Maybe I need to clarify. Racism can be seen as a very ugly form of evolved tribalism. That doesn't excuse it at all. It suggests that eliminating it is a hard, long-term task, requiring more than just information (data, narratives, analyses, speeches, etc.) on its mechanisms and effects, important as these are. Being alert to its appearance (not always overt) and challenging it promptly, in our communities and in ourselves (no one is immune), is part of the task.

Allan Stewart-Oaten
    Emeritus, Ecology and Statistics
    University of California, Santa Barbara

• 45.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 10:57
    Mr. Scanlan, you have highlighted some of the key problems that occur when people frame outcomes in terms of percents: the interpretation of any sort of change depends on the selected reference category, and also on whether a relative or absolute difference is of interest. I can't speak to the methodology used by NCHS or AHRQ, but I will say that in order to avoid the problems you mentioned, many statisticians choose both to work on the odds scale rather than on the percent (or probability) scale and to use regression models that adjust for baseline rates rather than trying to directly model change. Frank Harrell has some good posts on this topic; I recommend https://www.fharrell.com/post/percent/ and sections 14.4 and 14.5 of http://hbiostat.org/doc/bbr.pdf. Because odds ratios, percentage point difference, and relative difference in percents are three different ways of viewing the same situation, some people also choose to present all three in data analyses. The problems you bring up are highly relevant to the quantification of any sort of disparity, and to many other situations as well.

Lauren Samuels

• 46.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 12-10-2020 09:02

Professor Samuels,

Data analysts well understand that various measures quantify things differently even if analysts do not always describe things clearly (the subject of the Harrell materials).  But appreciation that different measures can or commonly do yield opposite directions of changes in disparities (or which group most benefits from an intervention) remains uncommon if not rare.  It is mostly limited to health disparities research, where some researchers discuss differing results yielded by the relative difference they happen to be examining (i.e., in the favorable or the adverse outcome) and the absolute difference.  Even there, however, researchers do so invariably without mention of the second relative difference (even though whenever a relative difference and the absolute difference change in opposite directions, the unmentioned relative difference will necessarily have changed in the opposite direction of the mentioned relative difference and the same direction as the absolute difference) and, more important, without discussion of the effects of changes in the prevalence of an outcome on the measures they do mention. 

In my view, the critical problem in statistical analyses involving outcome rates of different groups – whether different demographic groups or treated and control groups in clinical trials –  is the failure to understand ways measures of differences between outcome rates tend to change solely because the prevalence of an outcome changes.  As an outcome and its opposite change in prevalence, relative differences in the increasing outcome tend to decrease while relative differences in the corresponding decreasing outcome tend to increase.  (Notably, even though NCHS recognized this pattern fifteen years ago, few data analysts yet understand that it is even possible for the two relative differences to change in opposite directions as the prevalence of an outcome changes, much less that this tends to occur systematically; and most mistakenly believe that reducing an adverse outcome tends to reduce relative differences in rates of experiencing the outcome.)  Meanwhile, the absolute differences tends to change in the same direction as the smaller of the two relative differences, while differences measured by the odds ratio tends to change in the opposite direction of the absolute difference.

One value of focusing on whether one decisionmaker is more likely to be biased than another is that the focus should make it especially evident that value judgments or perspectives do not aid the inquiry, as I discuss with respect to Table 5 (at 335-336) of "Race and Mortality Revisited.," Society (July/Aug. 2014).  That is, it should be obvious that it makes no sense to say that one decisionmaker is more biased as to favorable outcomes while the other is more biased as to adverse outcomes or that one is more biased in relative terms while the other is more biased in absolute terms.  But the same issues apply in clinical trials with regard to identification of subgroup effects or the employment of an effect observed in a clinical trial to calculate the number-needed-to-treat in a situation involving baseline rates different from those in the trials.  Id. 340-341.

The key to soundly analyzing whether forces causing outcome rates of racial/ethnic groups to differ have increased or decreased over time, or are greater in one setting than another, is an appraisal of the extent to which an observed pattern solely reflects effects of prevalence of an outcome on the particular measure employed and the extent to which the pattern reflects something else.  So far this has never been done.  But statisticians ought to be able to provide insight into how it should be done. 

James Scanlan
    James P. Scanlan Attorney At Law

• 47.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-03-2020 17:26

I think that this could be an interesting topic, and one I would like to study.

However, personally, I'd make it an independent study or a "case studies" type course and not include it within statistics courses otherwise.  I commented elsewhere, but this is exactly what would have turned me OFF of statistics!  I took statistics to learn statistics... not to learn about racism (or fertilizer, or any other thing one might use statistics to understand).  The application itself may be interesting, useful, insightful, powerful, and a good and proper thing to do... but I worry that there is a push to make my dear statistics courses into history or social justice courses (or genetics, or any other equally interesting area).  Again, not a problem to HAVE courses on it, or to use it for examples in class, but if we're at the point of "address(ing) the subject head on" then the subject is not statistics.

Shannon Howell

• 48.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 10-30-2020 18:53
    Hi Regine,  
    You may find resources through the public health/epidemiology field.  Racism has been recognized as a significant and ongoing public health crisis, and so you might find your colleagues who are teaching statistics through an epidemiological lens have helpful perspectives and resources on how to examine and change your curriculum.  https://www.apha.org/topics-and-issues/health-equity/racism-and-health  

Good luck!  I'd love to hear back from you later about what you decide to change or what resources you find.  
    take  care,

Deirdre Middleton

• 49.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-05-2020 07:47

One timely example from epidemiology is a recent Veteran's Administration study of COVID-19 comorbidities.

Numerous studies have found racial differences in outcomes, but in this study, race was not a significant factor, apparently because all patients received similar quality of care within the VA system, and multivariate analysis eliminated the effect of correlated confounders.
    "...Among >10,000 U.S. veterans testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, older age, high regional COVID-19 disease burden, Charlson comorbidity index (CCI) score, and abnormalities in certain blood tests were significantly associated with mortality after adjustment.
    "..However, many previously reported risk factors, including obesity, Black race, Hispanic ethnicity, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hypertension, and smoking, were not significantly associated with mortality,
    "...while multiple risk factors have been reported with both severe illness and death, most prior studies earlier in the pandemic "did not include multivariable adjustment to identify independent risk factors," were local or regional rather than national populations, and did not compare patients who tested positive with those who tested negative to determine "excess risk" tied to ... infection itself versus underlying conditions...,
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88776

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770946?utm_campaign=articlePDF&utm_medium=articlePDFlink&utm_source=articlePDF&utm_content=jamanetworkopen.2020.22310

Dennis Sweitzer
    Principal Biostatistician

• 50.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-02-2020 18:20

This has been an interesting thread to read.  But I wonder if, at least as I am reading through it, we are confounding teaching statistics and teaching about statistics.

I would guess we could all agree that there is a difference between teaching art and teaching art history.  I think the same applies to all subjects (except maybe history itself).

I would argue that there is strong value in knowing the history of the subject area - and wish I'd had an opportunity for such a class - but I would urge those who want to pepper that into their standard courses to reconsider.

I, for one, would have been rather upset having that sprung on me in college or grad school.  I took math/stats courses because I enjoyed the logic, the clarity, the topical unity across lectures, and the sheer geekiness of professors who randomized their exams.  In fact, that is part of the reason I decided to go into those areas (after a particularly horrid semester of guess-what-the-professor-thinks in some humanities courses; it was a breath of fresh air!).

We do a disservice to students who like math and statistics if we make their math and statistics courses resemble history courses.

Again, for clarity, I think it would be wonderful to have a course on the history, personalities, and development of statistics - I just don't think it should be slipped into statistics courses, but kept as a separate course.

Shannon Howell

• 51.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 12-10-2020 09:02
    This thread discusses a political topic, not a statistical one. I don't believe it belongs on the ASA connect.

Terry Meyer

• 52.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-03-2020 08:30
    Hi, Regine,

Thanks so much for your query!  This is a topic I've thought a lot about.  And while I don't have anything directly related to the topics you list, I can tell you what I've been doing in my classes.

Wherever I can, I try to point out contributions from statisticians of color.  I'm currently teaching Statistical Theory, and although I've chosen not to teach sufficiency this semester, my students know enough to understand what sufficiency could vaguely mean (i.e., the Rao-Blackwell Theorem).  So I spend some time talking about Blackwell and not only his amazing contributions, but also his struggle to get hired.  UC Berkeley almost offered him a job in the 1940s but the chair rescinded the offer because the faculty member's wife didn't want Blackwell (as a black man) in her home for departmental gatherings.  [Blackwell was again offered a job at UC Berkeley in the 1950s, this time without any spousal objection.]  You can hear Blackwell tell the story in his own words here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqpf9tw44Xw

It is also worth pointing out Rao's contributions.  A recent article in Significance (https://rss.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1740-9713.01424) describe's Rao's contributions  (and describes him as a really good person, unlike many of the founders who were advocates of eugenics).

One of my mathematics colleagues (Edray Goins http://pages.pomona.edu/~ehga2017/index.html) and his collaborators have put together an amazing resource celebrating mathematicians of the African diaspora:  https://www.mathad.com/  You can search for people by degree which gets you to statisticians of the African diaspora.

This year, on Indigenous People's Day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Peoples%27_Day) , I spent some time talking to my students about Data Sovereignty (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_sovereignty).  Ideas of data ethics, defining variables, and sampling / bias abound.  (In fact, you might find some direct connections to missing data and advanced statistical methods if you start looking into Data Sovereignty.)

Good luck!

Johanna Hardin
    Pomona College

• 53.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-04-2020 13:30
    This has been a really interesting thread.
    There are really two issues here - implicit and explicit bias. We could argue until kingdom come about the virtues of addressing explicit biases (or, as we have seen posted in this thread, if they exists and to what extent...), but I think, perhaps, it is time that we DO tweak methods and examples that might be a reflection of implicit biases, without sacrificing the "intro to stats" class as some may be suggesting to a "intro to racism in stats" class. (although I do think that more social justice examples could be included, rather than Titanic examples, and I do believe that people are working on curating those types of datasets, but alas, I am not formally teaching this year, so I have not looked lately.).

Two places that I can think of to tweak:
    1. When race or gender are categorized (aside from how to assess it) - what is the "baseline level" that you are comparing things to? AND WHY? For so long, it seems like everything was compared to Non-Hispanic White (NHW) Males. Does that create any sense of "otherness" for non-NHW non-males?? I say, yes. It seems like using "that is the largest subgroup" is not so scientific... and maybe we should question how the data was collected that in almost every data set the largest subgroup is NHW Males! If it is because "they have the lowest rate" of something... then perhaps it is ok, so that our audience only need to understand point estimates of OR>1 (which are genearally more intuitive)?  But, in introductory classes, I have made people calculate "predicted rates" for various combinations of demographics... and having it always seem easier for NHW-Males is just adding to "otherness" and "fueling the fire" I think... maybe.  This, too, can be a really interesting conversation to have in class.
    2. Some of the "fun" examples that we use don't consider context, or relevance to a general audience. As a life-long White Sox fan, I always kinda liked seeing evidence that Shoeless Joe Jackson did not really throw the 1919 world series... However, I enjoyed that because I could "relate" - but let's face it, baseball is a more "male" associated activity, Jackie Robinson did not break the color barrier until 1947, and Cincinnati Reds fans are probably over it. So, while "fun" and possibly could get kids who love baseball interested in statistics.. .it might trigger an implicit bias reaction.

Again, those are two things off the top of my head. I think we do need to stop and think why we continue to do things the way we have. In a field that was really impacted and developed by groups associated with eugenics and agriculture... perhaps not everything translates? Maybe, during this pandemic, we have the opportunity to stop and think (at least those of us not immediately working on cures!! go team, go!), about how to make life a little bit better for EVERYONE?

Mary Kwasny
    Professor
    Northwestern University

• 54.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-04-2020 14:07

I agree with Mary Kwasny. I like this thread because it addresses an important topic: human bias to doing the same thing in the same way. The old way was to relegate Women's studies , race studies in other departments. Now the time has come to integrate the concepts into math, science and arts.

Many departments are doing it already, including decolonizing literature, design spaces, artificial intelligence, and certainly statistics.

Data sets have to include diverse populations and classes in order for algorithms to be generalizable or even ethically acceptable.

Objective evidence has to be questioned.
    Not because objectivity is bad - but whose objectivity? Are subjective evidence considered? What about qualitative evidence and data? Already many algorithms are opening up to non-numeric data.

Decolonizing the syllabus is very appealing and to me - the new generation demands it and for rightful reasons. It's not only about pointing out the obviously racist assertions of eugenics - but also about improving current practices of modeling.

Nusrat Rabbee

Nusrat Rabbee
    Senior Director, Statistical Methodology
    Eisai, Inc

• 55.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-04-2020 18:34

I'm a woman and frankly, I'd rather study just about anything besides women (except maybe art history).  If women's studies is now part of math and science, then I would have had trouble going into math and science if I were in school now.  Not that there's anything wrong with women's studies, but I just vastly prefer math and science courses!  I enjoy the style, the rigor, the logic!  

That is, of course, my personal preference and I don't expect that to hold for everyone (certainly not for those who major in social studies, etc!).  I also have no problem with "cross department" type classes - I even have a degree in that sort of an area - but if math is women's studies, what is math?

Shannon Howell

• 56.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-04-2020 18:50
    Excellent point.

James Loughlin

• 57.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-05-2020 15:48
    Meant to say Shannon Howell makes an excellent point.

James Loughlin

• 58.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-05-2020 07:49
    Joel Best talks about how statistics, such as the murder rate in a city, are a social construction. We ignore this at our own peril. I, myself, do try to teach with rigor and logic, but if I didn't address the social construction issue, my courses would be dangerously one-sided. On the other hand, if I only taught about social construction of statistics, my courses would be even worse. I am incapable of teaching a women's studies class--I'm not nearly smart enough to do that. But I can talk about some of the issues raised by Carol Tavris in "The Mismeasure of Woman".

Stephen Simon, blog.pmean.com
    Independent Statistical Consultant
    P. Mean Consulting

• 59.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-08-2020 13:55

I was disappointed to read in this discussion thread that some believe that a Statistics class should only teach statistical methods.  Why?  Properly using statistical methods requires subject matter knowledge to make decisions.  Throughout the years we have unleased folks from our classes that seem to think that armed with just a P-value, they can come up with proper decisions.  Even when a power analysis is taught, many times the effect size is expressed as a "percent difference" which is also completely devoid of the necessary subject matter knowledge.  (Checking for a 5% difference means something very different among different disciplines and certainly for different objectives within the same discipline.)

More power to those using examples that make students think and help us learn to make a better society.

Jim Baldwin

Jim Baldwin
    Retired

• 60.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-08-2020 15:56

Jim,

Yes, subject matter knowledge is critical and that point must surely be included in a comprehensive course of study!  However, there are as many statistical subjects as there are things to count compute statistics for - from people, diseases, widgets, factories, wildlife, to produce.  Certainly any of these can make good examples and certainly there are areas where some of the topics brought up here definitely apply (say, a course on survey statistics).  However, there is a leap between covering the concept of subject knowledge and giving examples to having a women's studies-leaning (for example) statistics course.

Shannon Howell

• 61.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-09-2020 08:26
    When I taught stats one of the things I concentrated on (both grad and undergrad) was having students design their own experiments, collect their own samples, calculated the most current stats under study and then write a report summarizing the whole thing and then make an oral presentation.

This allowed them to exercise their writing skills, their design methods, creativity and stats.

It was also a lot of work for me especially in large classes.

Michael Mout
    MIKS

• 62.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-15-2020 11:58
    "A better society"? According to whose standards? Who is it that certifies faculty in moral superiority to students? If making "a better society" is a new part of the curriculum, aren't schools obliged to change their course descriptions? Which formerly essential topics will be removed to make room for instruction in "a better society"? Is the parroting of the instructor's opinion about what constitutes "a better society" necessary and sufficient to pass the class? Are employers showing increasing interest in students' political opinions as opposed to their quantitative skills? Is independent thinking now to be discouraged? Whatever happened to "question authority"?

Hal Switkay
    United States

• 63.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-15-2020 19:02
    Hal:  You're right.  I shouldn't have used the phrase "better society".  I should have used "more tolerant" or "more open-minded"  society.  Clearly there's a lot of work to be done.

Jim

Jim Baldwin
    Retired

• 64.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-16-2020 14:04
    A point by point response to Hal Switkay's email

> "A better society"? According to whose standards?

I think it is possible to develop a set of standards that most reasonable people would agree with. But where there are disagreements, an open discussion of these standards would have great value.

> Who is it that certifies faculty in moral superiority to students?

You don't have to have moral superiority over your students to teach about morals.

> If making "a better society" is a new part of the curriculum, aren't schools obliged to change their course descriptions?

It's certainly a good idea to make the course descriptions more accurate, but keep in mind that these changes in emphasis might not be as big as you might think. I would like to think that 

> Which formerly essential topics will be removed to make room for instruction in "a better society"?

I would count myself as one of the most arrogant people alive if I felt that everything that I currently teach was essential. Surely there are things that I currently teach that could be removed without hurting things too much.

> Is the parroting of the instructor's opinion about what constitutes "a better society" necessary and sufficient to pass the class?

I don't teach in a way that requires that students parrot my opinions back to me. I always offer an opinion, and often it is a strongly stated opinion. But that doesn't mean that I don't encourage different opinions.

> Are employers showing increasing interest in students' political opinions as opposed to their quantitative skills?

The term "political opinions" misses the point of the on-going discussions. Certainly some employees only want a number cruncher, but others would value an employee who thinks about whether the work that they do hurts or harms society. There has been a big debate in Business Schools about this when there was a push 50 years ago to teach "Business Ethics". Some people felt that the only purpose of business was to make money for their shareholders. Others felt that businesses had a moral obligation to make the world a better place to live and work in. Both perspectives have value and there is nothing wrong with presenting both perspectives and letting the students think about and debate this.

> Is independent thinking now to be discouraged? Whatever happened to "question authority"?

This is a rehash of the earlier "parroting" comment. I have never discouraged independent thinking and I believe that there is great value in questioning authority. 

The concerns of Dr. Switkay maybe in a poor use of language, as the Dr. Baldwin has conceded. Our goal as teachers is not to indoctrinate students in what our beliefs are. Our goal is to make students think about the broader impact that there work can have. Statistical models can be tools used for great good or for great evil, and we should encourage our students to think about these tools critically. There are lots of great books out there that can help, such as "Weapons of Math Destruction" by Cathy O'Neil. 

Another concern of Dr. Switkay, I assume, is that efforts to broaden the curriculum to discussion of how Statistics can impact society will crowd out the important quantitative skills that we much provide to our students. As I mentioned in an earlier email, I couldn't turn my Statistics course into a Women's Studies course, even if I wanted to. Nevertheless, I can talk, at times, about these issues. I don't think it needs to dominate the teaching agenda, but I would feel bad if students were not made aware issues beyond the formulas and calculations.

Finally, it sounds like Dr. Switkay has a very negative opinion of how many courses in our Universities are currently taught. The comments about parroting and discouraging independent thinking are a theme that resonate with many people. They believe that our current higher educational system serves to indoctrinate students into a liberal way of thinking. That may or may not be true of others, but let me just say that it is not true for me. I believe it is possible to teach without indoctrinating. I want students to question authority, including my authority. This is the process of becoming a critical thinker. A critical thinker is not someone who is constantly criticizing. Rather it is a person who weighs arguments on their merits and who can provide both supportive and critical viewpoints for any perspective.

P. Mean Consulting

• 65.  RE: Decolonizing syllabi

Posted 11-17-2020 09:38
    In a way too lengthy email, I left one comment incomplete, so let me finish here for the sake of completeness. I had written

"It's certainly a good idea to make the course descriptions more accurate, but keep in mind that these changes in emphasis might not be as big as you might think. I would like to think that"

and I meant to add something along the lines of

"it is possible to discuss these issues intelligently while still keeping the bulk of the class focused on statistical theory and numerical computations."

I've enjoyed this discussion and appreciate all the comments on both sides.

P. Mean Consulting