ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-09-2017 17:04
    I logged onto the ASA site, navigated to publications and found Berger & Sellke's 1987 paper, "Testing a point null...."  As has happened many times in the past, when I tried to download it the ASA site took me to the publishers site and it demanded money for downloading it.

I have a subscription.  Why does this often happen?!

------------------------------
    Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 2.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-09-2017 17:22
    Hello, Dr. Friedman,

Thank you for posting! Because of the way Taylor & Francis identifies logged-in ASA members, to access journal articles, you will need to follow the link "ASA Publications" on the "Members Only" page once you're logged in.

EWFKPr9iRACs0lp7sgk0_My Publications.jpg
    (In the past, I told some members they could get to Taylor & Francis ASA journals by clicking the "Publications" link in the blue navigation bar. This isn't correct, and was an error on my part!)

For a video tutorial for accessing Taylor & Francis ASA journals, see this link: https://youtu.be/qlcOonU8ZK8 (There's a text version here, for folks who prefer text.)

Let me know if you have more questions or if the "My Publications" link isn't working for you!

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 3.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-10-2017 00:31
    I applaud Ms. Harmon for her up front acknowledgment of access ASA articles.

Karl F. Schutz

• 4.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-10-2017 10:43
    Clicking on ASA Publication in the list on the Members Only page takes me to the above screen

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 5.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-10-2017 10:52
    Hello, Dr. Friedman,

That's very strange! I'm contacting you privately right now so I can work through this to find out what's going on for you.

Anyone else reading along, if you're having issues accessing journal articles, don't hesitate to contact me, either through a private response to this message, or at lara@amstat.org.

- Lara

Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 6.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-10-2017 08:31
    Dr. Friedman, you are not alone.  I was looking for the same article and had the same problem.  Thank you Lara for your help.  I found the article in hard copy, browsing through my dusty collection of JASA going back to the 1960s.

Morris Olitsky
    Statistician
    USDA

• 7.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-11-2017 13:14
    I have had this problem for several months. No matter what I do, I remain unrecognized by the ASA system. This is a bit strange because I get the daily posting, requests to vote in elections, etc. Yet, I log in and when I try to access Significance, I am unrecognized and sent to the "pay if you want this article" page. I have called, kind ASA staff have responded, but still the system is not working.

Alice Robbin
    Indiana University, School of Informatics & Computing

• 8.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-12-2017 08:04

I was able to solve this problem by logging in to http://www.amstat.org. First log in with your member id and password. Then click on publications and follow the links to the particular journal you want. (I should add that when I arrive at the amstat home page, I sometimes see a "logout" rather than a "login" on the upper right at the top banner. I click on that it and it returns a "login.") 

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Alice Robbin
    Associate Professor
    Department of Information & Library Science
    School of Informatics and Computing
    Indiana University
    Wells Library Rm 023
    1320 E, 10th Street
    Bloomington, IN 47405-3907
    Office: 1.812.855.5389

• 9.  RE: Trouble downloading from Journal of ASA

Posted 05-12-2017 08:06
    In my experience with ASA web site access issues (two cases, me and someone in my section) the problem was some kind of duplication. Either the member was entered twice, with one entry not being properly linked, or the member has variants on their email address with different linkages.

Lara Harman solved the problem for our section member. The member could see posts but not initiate them. She couldn't see part of our section website even when logged in as an ASA member. It was the duplicate ID problem.

For me, years ago, it was the fact that while I use egracely as my email, technically that is an alias for edward.gracely, and from some sites the system may think I'm one or the other. In a few weeks Drexel is going to change how this all works, so I'll use yet a third email address from there and possibly have to go through the access business all over again!

Ed

Ed J. Gracely, PhD
    Associate Professor
    Family, Community, & Preventive Medicine
    College of Medicine

Associate Professor
    Epidemiology and Biostatistics
    Dornsife School of Public Health

Drexel University
    2900 W. Queen Lane,
    Philadelphia PA, 19129
    Tel: 215.991.8466 
    | Fax: 215.843.6028
    Cell: 609.707.6965

Egracely@drexelmed.edu
    drexelmed.edu  |  drexel.edu/publichealth

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.