ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-14-2019 15:37
    Hello all,
    I am a home educator and will be teaching a course on statistics for high school-level students (most of my students will be in 9/10 grades).  I am enjoying all the resources from AMSTAT that I have looked at so far including the GAISE report.  I know there are several stand-alone lessons on statisticsteacher.org and I just found two other resources: Bridging the Gap and Making Sense of Statistical Studies. 

My questions:
    1) Can I use Bridging the Gap followed by Making Sense of Statistical Studies to develop a high school-level, 1 credit course in statistics?  It looks like Bridging the Gap is GAISE levels A & B and Making Sense... is Level C.  Considering that the homeschooled students are in various places in their math education, I think starting at Level A makes sense.

2) Are there any full statistics curricula for the high school level that you would recommend?  Ideally this would be something that didn't come with a hefty price tag and that was written as lesson plans; it would also ideally be aimed at a basic level.  I have found several excellent text books that are used in public schools but they often are Advanced Placement texts or don't have teacher's editions/resources that are accessible. I have looked at a couple of curricula on cK-12.org but some seem dry.

3) Any other suggestions for teaching statistics education at the lower high school level for homeschoolers?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Aubrie Entwood
    Home Educator
    Ithaca, NY

• 2.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-15-2019 09:27
    Hi Aubrie,
    I teach high school statistics and AP Stats. Have you looked at Khan academy? They have a regular stats option with lots of free resources.
    Good luck!
    Kelly

Kelly Radimer

• 3.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-15-2019 09:42
    Hi Aubrie,

OpenIntro has an Advanced High School statistics book here: https://www.openintro.org/stat/textbook.php?stat_book=aps

It's focused on AP-level, but is free and has some supporting materials online (also free). I have never used it, but I've been very happy with the college-level textbooks and materials from the same authors. Might be worth looking through.

Good luck,
    Travis

Travis Loux
    Associate Professor of Biostatistics
    Saint Louis University

• 4.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-15-2019 10:44
    Hi Aubrie-

For a free curriculum, including lesson plans, designed for non-AP high school students, check out Stats Medic. Under the link for lesson plans, click on "180 Days of Intro Stats." Although these lesson plans are keyed to the textbook Statistics and Probability with Applications (of which I am a co-author), you might be able to find enough of what you need on the Stats Medic site.

If you have more questions, please email me at TaborStats@gmail.com.

I hope this helps!

Josh Tabor
    Canyon Del Oro High School

• 5.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-16-2019 08:14
    On the Census Bureau website there is a section for Statistics in Schools that offers resources for teaching statistics with Census Bureau data.

William O'Hare
    President
    O'Hare Data and Demographic Services LLC

• 6.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-17-2019 17:01
    Aubrie,
    The History of Statistics Interest Group has posted 13 short handouts on the history of probability and statistics that I created for an elementary stat course. If you think such content might be useful for your course, you can find them at 
    https://community.amstat.org/historyofstats/ourlibrary/new-item2.

Here's the list.

Reading and Exercises on the History of Probability from the Vermont Mathematics Initiative, Bob Rosenfeld

Reading and Exercises on the History of Statistics from the Vermont Mathematics Initiative, Bob Rosenfeld

Bob Rosenfeld

• 7.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-21-2019 19:16
    Thank you for chiming in, Bob! These are amazing resources that I'm excited to share with my students! This will be a great way to add a little bit of history into my classes. :D

Jennifer

Jennifer Ward

• 8.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-22-2019 10:27
    "Random Tales of a College Math Professor, Over-Easy, on Wry" by Mick Norton is a book I wrote that contains numerous real life examples of statistics that occurred from personal experiences in expert witnessing, consulting, and academics.  The book is written for general audiences, and I have used some of the examples many times in teaching introductory stat courses.  Some of the examples are a little wacky, hence attention grabbing - for example, in order to qualify for a desired weight class, wrestlers used to lose weight temporarily by standing on her head's before stepping on the scale.  In another example, regarding an age discrimination suit, had the company that terminated employees used a process that was age neutral, the p-value for the age fallout that occurred would be .000000000088.

Robert Norton

• 9.  RE: seeking advice/curriculum for high school-level stats class

Posted 08-20-2019 12:58
    One suggestion, on topic of any standard curriculum, would be regular exercises where students observe, measure, log, and have to summarize, plot, and describe things in ordinary experience. The number of cars or people that pass a point, number and kinds of birds, blades of grass, etc. etc. The basic idea would be to develop ability to observe, to understand natural variation (which does not always fit classical statistical distributions nicely, etc.) Later on they can be introduced to histograms, control charts, plots over time, etc. They can also address questions like whether the data appear to come from a systematic or a random process, what distribution best describes it, etc. If they get as far as simple experiments, I would have them devise and execute their own experiments and collect and use their own data, not always use sample data from a book and just calculate an answer.

In general I would start them earlier on how to observe a general real-world situation and figure out what the right questions to ask are to solve a problem and how to obtain their own data, not treat statistics as consisting solely of calculating answers questions with everything already given.

Not having simple, clear right answers will make it harder to check their work. It's much harder on the teacher. But they will learn more, especially about how to think for themselves. And you probably didn't decide to home school in order to make your life easier.

Jonathan Siegel
    Deputy Director Clinical Statistics
    Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.