ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

• 1.  counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-16-2018 13:46

Dear Giants of Statistics,

I would appreciate your statistical input to me, an epidemiologist.

A few days ago Trump indicated that there were only 64 deaths my Maria in Puerto Rico, despite two studies suggesting 2715 (GW) and 4645 (Harvard).   I became interested in this huge variation.  Quite clearly the number of deaths exceed 64.  However, as I dug deeper in the other studies, it seemed that the GW and Harvard estimates were very high.  I wanted to lay out my finding to see what you think, and what type of studies could be done to get better estimates.  What I discovered is that the estimates of "Death by Hurricane" are extremely variable.  Here are the GW and Harvard estimates. Both have problems

https://publichealth.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/projects/PRstudy/Acertainment%20of%20the%20Estimated%20Excess%20Mortality%20from%20Hurricane%20Maria%20in%20Puerto%20Rico.pdf

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1803972

Here is what stimulated my interest

Hurricane          # Deaths

Puerto RIco          4645

Puerto RIco           2715

Katrina                   283-1836

Audrey                    418

Sandy                      230

Harvey                     82

Hugo                        34

florence                     5

I find it very hard to believe that maria was 2-3 times as dangerous a Katrina.  

2.  Previous studies mentioned that 40 to 70% of the deaths from Hurricanes are due to drowning due to the storm surges.  The numbers of deaths for drowning is very low in Puerto  rico, I could not find information find what happened after the hurricane, but it is hear where most of the excess deaths would be seen. Even if there was a 10 fold increase in drowning death, this would not bring the estimates even close to ~3000

3.  the GW study postulates that the excess deaths were not found because of poor death certificate coding.  This is difficult to believe, as the increase in deaths would be located with drowning and injuries, both of which would be picked up. Also, for this was the cause, then 99% of the deaths due to the hurricane would have to be miscoded to account for the excess. The PR health department of doctors would never be this bad.  Finally, if there were 3000-5000  deaths during this period it would be obvious as as people would be "dying in the streets", something we saw with Katrina.  THis really does not make sense

4. A primary reason for this is that it is difficult to classify a hurricane related death.  This is an interesting article indicating that we still do not have a firm figure about deaths .  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-still-dont-know-how-many-people-died-because-of-katrina/?ex_cid=538twitter  Much of the variation can be explained through this.

6.  The approached used in the GW study are suspicious for me as an epidemiologist. They estimate the rates and numbers of total mortality before the hurricane, and then during it.  This type of analysis is call an ecologic analysis, and quite problematic for epidemiologist like me.   THe reason is that this is a pure correlation analysis and not adequate for testing specific hypotheses.    Other things could be changing rapidly as well, e.g. the opiate epidemic, rapidly changing economic conditions.  I will not feel comfortable until I see the changes in the cause specific deaths, especially the change in drowning death.

Another issue is that there was a suggestion of increased mortality due to diabetes.  I am one of the world's experts on diabetes epidemiology, and seriously doubt that the storm could speed the death of people with diabetes. I do not know of any data to support this.

Thus I agree that the number of deaths is greater than 64.  However, I really find it hard to believe that this was 2-3 times as deadly at Katrina

I would love your thoughts

ron

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". (WHO)

Ronald LaPorte,  Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus, former WHO Collaborating Centre
    Department of Epidemiology
    Graduate School of Public Health
    130 Desoto Street
    University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, PA  15261
    USA

Telephone home 724 934 9023 
    Mobile  724 759 3283

Global Health, So Near, So Far

Supercourse Project - www.pitt.edu/~super1 
    Science Supercourse - ssc.bibalex.org 
    Research Methods Library of Alexandria - http://ssc.bibalex.org/helpdesk/introduction.jsf
    Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) African Networks - http://afn.bibalex.org/GeneralPortal.aspx
    Central Asian Journal of Global Health -  cajgh.pitt.edu/

• 2.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-16-2018 17:44
    I'm not sure what's being asked here or even if the number of deaths quoted for Hurricane Katrina, 283-1836, are from Puerto Rico or not.  If they aren't, there is much more incomparable than merely not applying the GWU methodology to the Katrina case. 

However, to the question implied by ``I find it very hard to believe that maria was 2-3 times as dangerous a Katrina'', the Accumulated Cyclonic Energy (ACE) for Hurricane Maria was 44.8 and for Katrina it was 20.0.  That does not convert to fatalities, of course, since the profile across the point or region where a storm crosses is what it specific, including all factors. 

Also, I don't know the source of the claim that ``Previous studies mentioned that 40 to 70% of the deaths from Hurricanes are due to drowning due to the storm surges'' because, at least in the United States, most fatalities are as a resource of inland flooding from heavy rains, not primarily coastal interactions. 

------------------------------
    Jan Galkowski
    Principal Statistician
    Westwood Statistical Studios

• 3.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 15:38

Consider the possibility that both Trump and GWU are correct. But that Trump is enumerating deaths that were attributed directly to the hurricane, whereas GWU is estimating excess mortality in the weeks and months after the hurricane.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 4.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-18-2018 15:09
    Also one must factor in where each hurricane struck. Puerto Rico’s infrastructure was not prepared for a hurricane relative to other US areas. It is possible that a hurricane would appear “more deadly” when hitting Puerto Rico than mainland US.

• 5.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 16:02
    The problem is that you are approaching this as a statistician, just
    looking at a table of numbers, rather than as an epidemiologist or a
    social scientist who should weigh the various data sources and the
    conditions that make them comparable, for sensible comparison.

What counts as a "death due to hurricane" or other natural disasters is
    problematic under the best circumstances, but worse when these occur
    under vastly different circumstances, as you should well know.?? Focusing
    on deaths due to drowning or other attributable causes, at least as
    recorded in official records, might make these numbers more comparable.
    But doing so ignores the terrible scope of the tragedy as a result of a
    decimated infrastructure, nearly total loss of power and water, etc.,
    resulting in many more deaths.

In short, your approach to this question is overly simplistic, and the
    comparison of the effect of Hurricane Mairs on Puerto Rico is not likely
    to lead to lead to any enlightenment.

I've only skimmed the GW study, but it seems to do an admirable job of
    describing what they call "excess mortality" due to the hurricane,
    perhaps a more reasonable baseline for comparison over time & space.

best,

-Michael

--
    Michael Friendly Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
    Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, ASA Statistical Graphics Section
    York University Voice: 416 736-2100 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
    4700 Keele Street Web:http://www.datavis.ca
    Toronto, ONT M3J 1P3 CANADA

• 6.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 16:33
    Mary Anastasia O'Grady, a well respected columnist of The Wall Street Journal, addresses the issue in today's journal.

Hoben Thomas
    Pennsylvania State University

• 7.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 17:29

Do you think "excess deaths" over the typical or expected number of deaths for the year might be useful?  This would be taking the death rates for the population size and projecting the expected numbers of deaths without a hurricane, and then comparing that to the observed numbers of deaths, regardless of the listed cause of death (all-cause death).  This is like an indirectly standardized comparison, such as a standardized mortality ratio might give.  Puerto Rico has had a number of hurricanes over the years, one might be able to come up with an expected excess number of deaths due to a typical hurricane, and if there are enough examples, adjusted for severity of hurricane (as measured, for example, by category or by average or maximum sustained wind speeds).  I suspect any such way of doing the calculation will come up with large numbers such as you commented on.  Then one could get into the demography and calculate specific kinds of deaths and live births and immigration and emigration to find the flows and refine the estimate.  And it can get much more sophisticated from there.  Or perhaps you could ask the morticians whether they were much busier just after the hurricane.

Raoul J. Burchette

Biostatistician III

SCPMG Research and Evaluation

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.

• 8.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 17:45

Clearly, one would have to compare these results to similar methodology for the other hurricanes.  I dare say those numbers would likewise be much larger than the officially reported numbers.

Raoul J. Burchette

Biostatistician III

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.

• 9.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 18:30

I started reading the GW report and they did exactly what I would have proposed.  I do think it would be good to do similar studies for our own hurricanes and see how they compare.  I suspect the mainland statistics might be better, but I think the numbers will still be much larger than the official statistics.

I did note that in the report that according to their interviews, it appears that physicians were mindful of whose liability was implied by their coding. 

Also, if there were many insulin-dependent diabetics, is it possible that they could not get their insulin (or could not preserve it) and died in consequence?  Or perhaps they could not their medications for their diabetes associated conditions (e.g., heart problems or hypertension) that proved fatal?

Raoul J. Burchette

Biostatistician III

• 10.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-17-2018 18:49
    Edited by Roberto Rivera 09-18-2018 10:48
    I agree with Michael Friendly. You are not considering that direct and indirect deaths may play very different roles in total death tolls from region to region. In Puerto Rico, indirect deaths played a major role, apparently because of infrastructure, communication, and planning issues. For example, Hurricane Maria (HM) took out electric power, and cell phone reception for the entire island. It was not until February or March that 90% of power generation was restored. This was devastating for those needing oxygen machines, and refrigerators for their medicines.

Here's a general summary of the death toll:

- The previous estimate, 64, were those where the cause had been stated to be HM. Problem is, protocol was not properly followed when filling in the cause of death (see GWU report).
    - Last year, NYT estimated over 1,000 deaths in the first 6 weeks after HM by comparing total post -Maria deaths to deaths in previous years.
    - CNN estimated 500 deaths after interviewing funeral homes.
    - A colleague and I compared death rates from September 1-19 and September 20-October 31. Using a Poisson model and a profile likelihood, we estimated, with 95% confidence, that there were between 605 and 1,039 deaths. An arbitrary adjustment for population displacement gave us an increase of about 100 deaths.
    - The Harvard study published in April, used a survey of residences to estimate, with 95% confidence, between 800 and 8000 deaths from 9/20-12/31. They used a survey caused the vital statistics office had stopped sharing mortality data (the survey size led to the very large margin of error).
    - The GWU report, which awaits peer review, built a GLM from historical data. Then they estimated excess deaths as the observed deaths - model fit; while adjusting for population displacement (a lot of people left Puerto Rico post-HM). The team decided to leave the details for the academic paper so some questions remain.
    - In a study I submitted to an academic journal a week before the GWU report, it was determined that HM death toll increased until December. And that, with 95% confidence, HM caused between 1,069 and 1,568 deaths from 9/20-12/31. Naturally, after the GWU report, I double checked my numbers. Unfortunately, since the GWU team did not provide specific details of their model (estimation procedure, number of sinusoidal terms, etc.), a direct comparison of my results and theirs is not possible. Interestingly, we both adjusted for population displacement using the same data: air passenger movement. However, the organization that released this data made a statement in mid July that there was an error; which lead to estimating displacement as 250,000, instead of 117,000. Based on the GWU report, where they estimated displacement as 250,000+; they were not aware of the correction to the data set. Thus their results will overestimate HM deaths. Without further details of their analysis, it is unclear what the impact is; but likely 'some hundreds'.

Nevertheless, there is consensus that over 1,000 people died. Comments on my paper (above, link before last) that is awaiting peer review are welcome.

Roberto Rivera
    Professor
    University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez

• 11.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-19-2018 17:26

There is a difference between estimation and actual enumeration. In the situation of hurricanes, the only thing that is politically acceptable is actual enumeration. How many died exactly, from what cause, at what point. 

Statistical estimation is not going to be accepted in this situation. It is based on approaches that are not clear or easy to explain. It makes analogies from this event to other events, which are not equivalent in a lot of ways. 

Thus far, with Florence, we have a total of 40 deaths. Each one is accounted for, specifically at a certain time and location. That is what is looked for in Maria for Puerto Rico. Is that possible a year later? Was it possible at the time of the actual event?

Paul Thompson
    President
    Thompson Biostatistical Solutions

• 12.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-20-2018 22:19
    Thompson,

Forensic examinations are the best way to determine whether deaths were caused by a natural disaster; IDEALLY! However, they will not always give a precise death toll. Let me explain. Natural disaster death tolls combine direct and indirect deaths. Both must be recorded, as their patterns could aid in developing strategies to avoid these deaths; including during future events. By definition, direct deaths are easily counted. But what about a diabetic person who died after a hurricane because their refrigerator lacked electric power, does this count? And how about a person that dies from a heart attack, two months after landfall, could the aftermath of the storm be a factor in the death? Even medical doctors and forensic examiners will struggle to make this determination. Family members of the victim may help, but what if they are of no help? And the stronger a hurricane, the more complicated it becomes to pinpoint causes of death after landfall. In fact, no one is sure how many people died because of Hurricane Katrina, only estimates are available.

Thus, using death certificate data to estimate the death toll (excess deaths), is a complimentary method to forensic examinations. Finally, be aware that is contradictory for a statistician to say that a process can only be measured in a precise manner. Often, just like in the case of Hurricane Maria, that's just not possible or did not happen.

Roberto Rivera
    Associate professor
    University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez

• 13.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-21-2018 08:45
    Mr. Thompson's statement that there is a difference between an enumeration and an estimate of the number of deaths is accurate.  While enumeration sounds simple and direct, there is the need for a protocol that will define death due to a hurricane.  The chaos following a hurricane makes it impossible to identify all the deaths due to a hurricane.  Thus enumeration is at best an undercount of the number of deaths, and this number could also be very useful.  

• 14.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-22-2018 22:16
    MMWR stands for Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, published by the CDC. I just noticed my mistake in my letter where I state it stood for Mobility and Mortality Weekly Report. My apologies.

Mark Czarnolewski

• 15.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 09-22-2018 22:18

Two Diseases Whose Rates Warranted Aggressive Search and Rescue in Puerto Rico Post Maria

The CDC publishes rates of diseases by States (including U.S. territories, such as Puerto Rico) and even counties within states. These publications of disease rates are published in the Mobidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWR). Two diseases, forms of diabetes (both Type 1 and Type 2) and End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), are medical conditions that require monitoring and intervention. ESRD requires dialysis or a kidney transplant for survival and diabetes accounts for 66% of ESRD patients (Burrows, et al., MMWR, March 3, 2014). Diabetes is often co-morbid with a number of medical conditions and is the third leading cause of death in Puerto Rico (PR), as is found in the United States, in general (Puerto Rico Chronic Disease Action Plan 2014-2020). Below are other references (in shorthand), including references not from MMWR reports, with some data from each reference that highlight the need for aggressive search and rescue to ensure health maintenance in times of crisis, such as Hurricane Maria and its aftermath. Some of the computations are rounded because of ease and the changing numbers of the population on Puerto Rico.

Geis, et al., (MMWR, Nov 16, 2012) 12.7% of adults greater than 18 on PR have diabetes. Given 3.3 million residents on PR and that those greater than 18 account for approx. 80% of the population (Wikipedia for PR) .8 x 3.3 million x .127 = 335, 280 (approx.) people with diabetes on PR.

Cumba-Aviles & Saez-Santiago (Rev Puertorriquena, 2016, 27, 44-60). For PR, estimates of diabetes from 2011-2013 are 13.3% to 16.4%. Of those less than 20 years old, about 16,148 have diabetes, with the presumption most of this number are Type 1 diabetics (page 3).

Salas, et al. (PLOS|One, 2016) For PR, among the elderly (>65), 37.1% are diabetic. Given there are 582,036 elderly in PR  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Puerto_Rico)

, there are .371 x 582,036 = 215,935 elderly with diabetes (approx.) on PR. Approx. 5% of diabetics are Type 1 (https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/type1.htm), so, .05 x 215,935 = 10,797 (approx..) Type 1 diabetics among the elderly.

Salas, et al. estimate (see Figure 1) that 15% are diagnosed and controlled and approx.  17% are diagnosed and uncontrolled. Thus .32  x  215,935 = 69,099 that are diagnosed. Salas, et al. state that 25% of those treated receive insulin and that 90% receive either insulin or hypoglycaemic agents (for example, Metformin). So, .25 x 69,099 (approx.) = 17,275 (approx..) receive insulin and .90 x 69,099 = 62,189 (approx..) receive insulin or hypoglycaemic agents.

The total approx.. diabetics receiving insulin: 16, 148 (under 20) + 17,275 (over 65) +  (over 20 and Under 65) + 12,148 (see computation below) = 45, 571 Type 1 diabetics in PR (approx..)

PR  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Puerto_Rico

65.36% (15-64) – 7.39% (15-19) = 57.97 of the population

.5797 x 3.3 million x .127 = 242,952 (approx..) diabetics (20 to 64 in PR) x .05 = 12,148 Type 1

As far as ESRD:

Burrows, et al (Burrows, et al., MMWR, March 3, 2014)  In PR in 2010, there were 6,091 patients over 18 with  1,462 starting treatment in 2010.  Previously, 867 patients treatment for ESRD in 2007 (MMWR, October 29, 2010)

Sheri Fink (2018, Washington Post letter) cited Santos-Lozado and Howard (unpublished manuscript) , who estimated that given the 95th percentile for the computed confidence interval of deaths between 2010 to 2016, that there were 518 excess deaths in September and 567 deaths in October.

The subsequent estimates from Harvard (which I don't think looked at excess deaths) and the GW study (which did look at excess deaths) had death estimates in the thousands (4,000 approx. for Harvard and 3,000 approx. for GW Milken Center).

Given, the thousands of patients requiring access to electricity (insulin refrigeration and dialysis treatment and medication. e.g. Metformin, kept at room temperature) for just the two medical conditions, that are awkwardly presented above, how can one logically assert that only three score people succumbed to the harsh conditions that the population in Puerto Rico endured for months, if not for more than half a year? Were a number of those vulnerable flown to safety? How many?  Were a number of those vulnerable treated on the Ship Comfort. With 200 empty beds on the Ship, one logically wonders. Were there search and rescue efforts to rescue patients in hospitals without electricity and from the countryside? If so, again, why were the beds empty? Were there any considerations of prevalence rates of medical conditions, such as the two discussed in the present letter, and many other critical medical and psychological conditions that the CDC could have provided? If there were consideration of accessed prevalence rates, what was done? Again, there were 200 empty beds on the Ship Comfort, as repeatedly reported in the news.

Mark Czarnolewski

• 16.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 10-03-2018 08:50
    Dear All, 

A group of biostatistics department chairs led by Debashis Ghosh, Karen Bandeen-Roche, and Jason Roy published the following piece on this topic in The Hill earlier this week: Statistics can save lives

Best,
    Steve
    https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/409109-statistics-can-save-lives

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 17.  RE: counting hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico

Posted 10-04-2018 17:01
    After reading the link and the Harvard study (NEJM, 2018), I realize that I made an error by stating that the Harvard study looked at deaths, not excess deaths. The reference shows that the Harvard study estimated excess deaths (approx 4,500). My apology.

Mark Czarnolewski