ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Random Effects Frequentist Model and Empirical Bayes Estimator

Posted 01-07-2021 08:51
    Dear ASA Community:

Does anyone have a recommendation for text book, article, or online resource that discusses the similarities between a random effects model and an empirical Bayes estimator?  In one of the ASA CSP course descriptions, I noticed the sentence, "They often go by other names, including blocking models, variance component models, nested and split-plot designs, hierarchical linear models, multilevel models, empirical Bayes, repeated measures, covariance structure models, and random coefficient models."  I am curious about how a frequentist random effects model is similar to an empirical bayes estimator.

------------------------------
    Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior
    Michigan Medicine

• 2.  RE: Random Effects Frequentist Model and Empirical Bayes Estimator

Posted 01-08-2021 07:06
    G. K. Robinson (1991), That BLUP is a Good Thing, in Statistical Science, is still my favorite. It is available here: Robinson : That BLUP is a Good Thing: The Estimation of Random Effects . See sections 4.2 and 5.7 as well as the comments by Harville, Speed, and Steffey & Kass.

S. Wright

• 3.  RE: Random Effects Frequentist Model and Empirical Bayes Estimator

Posted 01-08-2021 09:12
    In my opinion, one of the best books on random effects models is "Richly Parameterized Linear Models: Additive, Time Series, and Spatial Models Using Random Effects" by James Hodges.  I recommend it highly.

Michael Lavine

• 4.  RE: Random Effects Frequentist Model and Empirical Bayes Estimator

Posted 01-11-2021 08:28
    Thanks to everyone who responded.  These are excellent resources.

Brandy Sinco, BS, MA, MS
    Statistician Senior
    Michigan Medicine

• 5.  RE: Random Effects Frequentist Model and Empirical Bayes Estimator

Posted 01-08-2021 11:05
    ​Hi Brandy,

I am recommending Robinson (1991) for a nice overview of estimating random effects: 1177011926 (projecteuclid.org)

You may also take a look at some of the early articles on James-Stein estimation: efron-morris2.pdf (chicagobooth.edu), EfronMorrisJASA1975.pdf (mcgill.ca), Article1977.pdf (stanford.edu)

Best,

Andreea Erciulescu, PhD
    Sr. Statistician
    Westat