ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  COVID-19 Pandemic - Statistical Research Beyond Biomedical

Posted 05-05-2020 08:34

In Amstat News this month, the column Stats4Good looks at some of the opportunities for statisticians to help address the COVID-19 pandemic in areas not requiring medical / biostatistics expertise. From the article, "This is so much more than a biological problem, calling for research in many areas." Just to name a few: economics and business, societal impacts, crime such as the marked increase in cybercrime and domestic violence. As a pro bono human right mathematician, I've been one of many looking at the disproportionate impact are marginalized communities, mining census and other data to identify risk factors associated with higher fatalities. There is a place for everyone with statistical expertise, including both full-time professionals and people with just a few hours a week to volunteer.

What are some of the different ways you have seen statisticians address the pandemic, and how can people get involved?

https://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2020/04/30/data-for-good-takes-on-the-covid-19-pandemic/

------------------------------
    David J Corliss, PhD
    Director, Peace-Work www.peace-work.org
    davidjcorliss@peace-work.org

• 2.  RE: COVID-19 Pandemic - Statistical Research Beyond Biomedical

Posted 05-06-2020 10:47
    David,

To me the greatest opportunity here is to try to use existing data to identify those treatments, be it social distancing, masks, or various medical treatments to try to identify what works best. 

This is similar to looking at response rates in marketing or default rates in credit risk or profitability in insurance. The key is to agree on a definition of "Good" and "Bad" and "Indeterminate." Anyone familiar with risk modeling will recognize those terms.

Of course, there is always the problem with data, demographics can be key along with socioeconomic data; however, I'm sure there are plenty of brilliant stats guys out there who can figure this out and probably find ways to get funding from various agencies, domestic and international.

Being retired and definitely behind the times on available tools and techniques, I can only sit on the sidelines and 

To all of them, I say good luck.

Michael Mout
    MIKS