ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

• 1.  ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-16-2018 16:25
    Dear All, 

FYI the ASA submitted comments in response to the 2020 Census Federal Register Notice due earlier this month: 

http://www.amstat.org/asa/files/pdfs/POL-2020CensusCallForComments.pdf. I thank the ASA Scientific and Public Affairs Advisory Committee for its extensive work to produce the comments. The committee also drafted the following comments for others in the community to use when addressing the question of the addition of a citizenship question. 

Sincerely, 
    Steve

Why a Citizenship Question Should not be Included on the Census:

Talking points from the ASA Scientific and Public Affairs Advisory Committee

The decennial census forms the backbone of the U.S. data infrastructure, supporting our economy, health, and well-being. As the gold-standard foundation of evidence-based policymaking and data-driven decision-making, its impact on the public- and private- sector is broad and profound, so much so that its reach and influence are likely beyond an accurate accounting. The American Statistical Association (ASA) has strong confidence in the professionals at the U.S. Census Bureau, including in its leadership.

However, in March 2018 Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross decided (apparently against the advice of Census Bureau officials) to add a citizenship question to the questionnaire. We urge that this question be removed.

• The census is constitutionally mandated to fully enumerate people (not citizens) in the United States. Any other function of the census (such as helping to identify voters) is not constitutionally mandated and should not be pursued if there is a chance that it would compromise the enumeration function.

• Because the enumerative purpose of the census is so important for constitutional and statutory purposes, the accuracy of the census is of paramount importance to the nation.

• The ASA is the scientific organization that is particularly well situated to comment on the scientific methodology of census and survey data collections.

• It is an established scientific standard that instrumentation in large-scale data collections should not be changed without adequate time to field test and evaluate the impact of the changes before the data collection takes place.

• The addition of a potentially sensitive question, such as the question about citizenship, is a change in instrumentation that has the potential to compromise the validity and integrity of results from the census.

• Because no field testing has been done to determine the possible effects of adding the citizenship question, doing so has the potential to harm the constitutionally mandated function of the census to enumerate the population. Thus the citizenship question should not be added.

• In a report to Secretary Ross, the scientific staff of the Census Bureau recommended, in a memo from John Abowd, against the inclusion of the citizenship question in the 2020 census, arguing that alternative means using administrative record of obtaining that information were preferable.

------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-18-2018 00:12

I would like to argue that the first bullet point of the ASA statement is factually incorrect. Section 2 of the 14th amendment makes it clear that allocation of congressional seats among the states, and of electoral-college votes among the states, is to be determined by the number of persons in a state who are eligible to vote, not the whole number of persons in the state. By inference, this means that, yes, the census is constitutionally mandated to fully enumerate citizens, not just people.

Section 2 of the 14th amendment: "Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State."

Please note that the 14th amendment was written at a time when the right to vote was restricted to male citizens 21 years of age or older. Since then, of course, the 19th amendment extended the right to vote to female citizens 21 years of age or older, and the 26th amendment extends the right to vote to citizens of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. Please also note that the word citizens appears prominently in all three amendments.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 3.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-20-2018 14:44
    The Amendment states "counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed."  With the exception of the statement about native Americans, there is no exclusion based on gender, race, age, or citizenship.  The rest of the statement is meant to discourage the exclusion of voting rights by reducing the representation of states that they would otherwise have under the enumeration of all persons if they disenfranchised citizens from voting (which is why the word citizen appears several times).

(Thanks for highlighting that section of the 14th amendment -- it points out that Congress never used it power to punish states for enacting Jim Crow laws.)

I'm responding to this because, while there is clearly a political subtext for much of this argument, statisticians have been heavily involved in the census and survey methods from the beginning, and we can only correctly pursue our goals if we know what we are being charged with doing.  And in the case of the decennial census it seems clear our goal is to provide the most accurate count of living human beings by the most detailed record of their April 1 residence possible. 

Michael Elliott

Professor of Biostatistics
    Associate Chair, Academic Affairs
    Dept. of Biostatistics, University of Michigan
    M4124 SPH II, 1415 Washington Heights
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109
    (734) 647-5160

Research Professor of Survey Methodology
    Survey Methodology Program, University of Michigan
    Rm. 4068, 426 Thompson Street
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109
    (734) 647-5563

• 4.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-21-2018 15:07
    Dear All:

If you want to see what an Evenwel type of denominator would do for redistricting you can go to this url:  www.socialexplorer.com/evenwel   We won a Webby for this tool.

However, Evenwel was not about apportionment, it was about districting, and what  was to be used to divide districts.  From the original constitution, which counted slaves as 3/5ths and non-taxed Indians not all, but women and children and anyone else for apportionment, the whole population was to be used for apportionment.  This was reaffirmed in the 14th Amendment.  

The impact of adding a citizenship question was reviewed by a NAS panel:  http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=872018

Andy Beveridge
    --
    Andrew A. Beveridge
    President, Social Explorer, Inc
    50 Merriam Ave
    Bronxville, NY 10708
    Phone 1-914-337-6237
    Mobile 914-522-4487
    FAX 1-914-337-8210
    andy@socialexplorer.com
    www.socialexplorer.com
    Become a fan on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Social-Explorer/110325499019530
    Follow us on Twitter @socialexplorer

Prof of Sociology Queens College and Grad Ctr CUNY
    Chair Queens College Sociology Department
    Office:  718-997-2852
    Email:  andrew.beveridge@qc.cuny.edu
    233D Powdermaker Hall
    65-30 Kissena Blvd
    Queens, NY 11367-1597

• 5.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-20-2018 16:11

A bit more research into the facts appears to contradict Mr. Siegal's view and uphold the stance stated by the ASA latter and documents published by the Census Bureau.

In Evenwel v Abbott (2016), the Supreme Court held the Constitution permits the use of total population rather than citizens. Writing for a unanimous court, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg noted "Nonvoters have an important stake in many policy debates-children, their parents, even their grandparents, for example, have a stake in a strong public-education system-and in receiving constituent services, such as help navigating public-benefits bureaucracies. By ensuring that each representative is subject to requests and suggestions from the same number of constituents, total population apportionment promotes equitable and effective representation."

It is therefore not surprising that the Census Bureau's published statements on this question are consistent with Evenwel. In their article Census and the Constitution (https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/about/census-constitution.html), they state "The plan was to count every person living in the newly created United States of America, and to use that count to determine representation in the Congress."

Beginning in the 1850's, the Radical Republicans advocated for the criminalization of slavery* (established by the 13th Amendment), citizenship (14th) and universal male suffrage (15th) . It is noteworthy that  It is noteworthy that, in December 1865, Thaddeus Stevens, leader of Radical Republicans,  introduced a bill to require district apportionment by their number of eligible voters, not the total population. This proposal failed to pass, showing the very stance proposed by Mr. Siegel was Considered at the time the 14th amendment was being drafted and considered, and it was explicitly rejected.   

David J Corliss, PhD
    Founder and Director, Peace-Work

* the asterisk. The 13th amendment is often taken to have performed the abolition of slavery, but this is not so: slavery in the United States has been criminalized...very sadly, it has not been abolished and the fight against this great evil continues. As one of a number of statisticians engaged in this vitally important work today, perhaps I may be excused for this language, insisting that slavery has criminalized but not abolished.

http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2018/04/01/human-trafficking/
    #ScienceAgainstSlavery

• 6.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-20-2018 17:28
    Also, the first bullet is incorrect on other points as well. Note that for a simple enumeration for apportionment, only two questions need be asked: citizen and over 18? The census asks for gender, ethnicity, race, relationship, own/rent, and age, all of which are completely unnecessary by this argument.

The fourth, fifth and sixth bullets are also factually incorrect. The citizenship question has been thoroughly tested because it was on the many censuses before (including the 2000 census) and it is on the ACS now. The only difference is: this is now a political issue which should not be involved at all in the decision, and certainly shouldn't be something the ASA comments on.

The ASA position does not represent my views and, my guess is, many others' as well.

I would once again ask the ASA to stay out of political debates.

• 7.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-26-2018 13:04
    Yes, not only does it not represent the views of many, it brings the organization into disrepute, not least because it is so shoddily argued.  I intent to file a dissent pointing that out and dissociating myself from it.  Anyone who wants to co-sign, contact me, otherwise I will just file it myself.

• 8.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-27-2018 14:40
    I would suggest anyone who feels that the ASA position is incorrect, first take a look at the letter report from the Committee on Statistics of the National Academy of  Sciences, and review the careful analysis done by John Abowd.  Both are easily available.

Andy

--
    Andrew A. Beveridge
    President, Social Explorer, Inc
    50 Merriam Ave
    Bronxville, NY 10708
    Phone 1-914-337-6237
    Mobile 914-522-4487
    FAX 1-914-337-8210
    andy@socialexplorer.com
    www.socialexplorer.com
    Become a fan on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Social-Explorer/110325499019530
    Follow us on Twitter @socialexplorer

Prof of Sociology Queens College and Grad Ctr CUNY
    Office:  718-997-2852
    Email:  andrew.beveridge@qc.cuny.edu
    233D Powdermaker Hall
    65-30 Kissena Blvd
    Queens, NY 11367-1597

• 9.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-27-2018 22:00
    Gavan,

I completely agree with you, especially the part about the ASA branding itself as a political lobbying organization, which destroys any credibility they may have enjoyed as objective experts. Now, if the ASA weighs in on a topic, it will be viewed in the context of an advocacy group for a political agenda.

I'd be happy to join you in filing a dissent. I am surprised that other members, regardless of political leanings, would want the ASA's reputation to be so sullied.

Terry

Terry G. Meyer, Ph.D.
    President, Outcome Based Medicine

This message and any attachment is confidential, intended only for the person(s) named above, and may also be privileged. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

• 10.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-28-2018 10:19
    I think the ASA has a responsibility to object to shoddy statistical policy and practice.  Taxpayers subsidized most of our educations...we owe them our expertise.

• 11.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-20-2018 14:43
    • The addition of a potentially sensitive question, such as the question about citizenship, is a change in instrumentation that has the potential to compromise the validity and integrity of results from the census.

I rather doubt that "change in instrumentation" really motivates this objection.

Gavan Tredoux
    Lead Data Scientist, Customer Analytics
    Bayer

• 12.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-21-2018 15:18

Politics aside, there is the issue of consistency.

(1) a major statistical issue is that when one changes a survey (like the census), results will differ from the previous version, and it will take some research to determine if the difference is overt or subtle. So far, indications are that the new question will under count residents.

(2) Citizenship is already asked as part of the American Community survey, which is an annual survey of 1 in 38 households. The fact that it is a random survey of a subset of households gives respondents more assurance that they won't be identified.

It seems obvious that the only reason to change the questions from the 2010 census is for political reason, as it will introduce an inconsistency between the 2020 and 2010 censuses.
    --

Dennis E. Sweitzer

><> ?? ><;;> ???? <;;> ???? -;=;> ???? -;=;o ???? >-|o ?????? >-|O ??

• 13.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-22-2018 13:45
    In support of the ASA's statement, I would like to add that it is not the ASA that has introduced politics into this question, but rather the Administration. The ASA is protecting a vital data-collection policy from political intrusion.  That is a core function of the organization, and I think it is unfair to turn the political accusation against the ASA.

The proposed citizenship question did not arise because a group of nonpartisan constitutional scholars uncovered some basic flaw in our reading of Article I, Section 2.  Documents released through a lawsuit reveal the political provenance of the proposal.  (Scroll down in the article, Why Was a Citizenship Question Put on the Census? 'Bad Faith,' a Judge Suggests.)

I would also point out that while we don't yet know what effect the inclusion of this question would have on response rates, we are in an era of heightened fear and concern among immigrants, both documented and undocumented.  It is certainly reasonable to believe that a non-response effect could be quite large, and so we should stick with the principle of primum non nocere.  In any case, we should not use the 2020 census as an experiment to test for this effect.

Jay Beder
    Professor
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

• 14.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 16:18
    What if we encouraged all respondents to ignore the citizenship question?
    Michael L. Mout, MS, Cstat, Csci
    MIKS & Assoc. - Senior Consultant/Owner
    4957 Gray Goose Ln, Ladson, SC 29456
    804-314-5147(Mbl), 843-871-3039 (Home)

• 15.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 16:34

Very likely the inclusion of this question is a politically-based decision initiated by the administration (which is their proper domain). Certainly, if there is a technical question about projecting how much adding this question may affect response rates, then it is in the purview of ASA to provide guidance. If the question is about whether the data collected from the citizenship question is important enough to make it worth the strong possibility that response rates will decrease, this is a political question, and I don't think it is answerable by statistical analysis. Maybe from the point of view that the effective application of the science of statistics requires good data, it is proper for ASA to point out reasons for concern, without making final judgment on the merits.

Dean M. Resnick Senior Data Scientist

NORC at the University of Chicago 

4350 East-West Highway, Bethesda MD 20814

resnick-dean@norc.org | office (301) 634-9481

image001.png@01CC6656.D1E295D0

• 16.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-24-2018 07:51

During my service on the ASA Board of Directors, 2004-2007, I participated in several lively discussions about whether and how the Association should engage in contentious issues--political, scientific, economic, cultural--in which statistical science played a key role. I recall a clear majority of us voicing that the ASA should do more than organize meetings, publish journals, and be a catalyst for member-to-member interactions throughout the year. We recognized that in promoting sound statistical practice, the ASA should, at select times and in respectful ways, openly criticize bad practices that could result in misinforming the public and our policymakers.

I doubt no then-member of the Board envisioned how the American political landscape would change over the coming decade. Data collection and analysis, and how statistical information is interpreted and communicated, have always been at risk to be warped by those striving to "prove" their points. Today, the hurricanes of politicized statistics are evermore frequent and consequential. When those storms hit America, the American Statistical Association should respond, not by opposing a given political position, but by exposing a bad statistical practice regardless of political position. Whenever all three branches of the U.S. government are controlled by the same political nexus, those in that nexus will inevitably engage in statistical practices that warrant just criticism. Our pilots of our ship of state will cause far more accidents than us passengers.

You don't have to be the CEO of Gallop to understand that placing a "loaded" question within a survey can ill-affect participation rates and produce response bias for other questions in that instrument. Professional statisticians should be involved in planning all studies of import, including helping to scrutinize the questions with potential biases in mind.

When the "survey" in question is the U.S. Census, this planning is especially important and sensitive. While Census Bureau statisticians are certainly involved in creating that instrument, they can be overruled at any time by those in the ruling nexus. Keep in mind that .gov statisticians have little recourse to voice their concerns publicly. If and when the ASA leadership speaks out instead, so must that leadership expect to draw criticism, some of it from ASA members. That was bound to happen in the American experience of 2018, but it will also hold in 2028, 2038, ..., regardless of which political nexus controls the Census in those years.

Ralph O'Brien
    Professor of Biostatistics (officially retired; still keenly active)
    Case Western Reserve University
    http://rfuncs.weebly.com/about-ralph-obrien.html

• 17.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 02:20

Interesting point about consistency. The Citizenship question was Question #13 on the 2000 long-form census questionnaire:

https://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/pol02marv-pt3.pdf

The Citizenship question was absent from the 2000 short-form questionnaire:

https://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d61a.pdf

The Citizenship question was Question #9 on page E-14 of the 1990 census questionnaire:

https://www.census.gov/prod/1/90dec/cph4/appdxe.pdf

In the 1980 census, the Citizenship question actually consisted of two questions. See Question #11 and Question #12 on page C-72 of the following PDF. See also the Spanish Language versions of Question #11 and Question #12 on page C-76 of the same PDF:

https://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1980/1980censusofpopu802unse_bw.pdf

In the 1970 census, the Citizenship question actually consisted of four questions. See Questions #13a through #16 in the following PDF:

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1970_questionnaire.pdf

Why am I enumerating these specific instances? Simply to argue that, by adding the Citizenship question to the 2020 version of the census, yes, we may be breaking consistency between the 2020 census and its immediate predecessor from 2010, but we would also be restoring consistency between the 2020 census and its older predecessors from 2000, 1990, 1980, and so on back in time.

Perhaps the real question is, why was the Citizenship question dropped in the first place from the 2010 census? Obviously, doing so introduced an inconsistency between the 2010 census and its predecessors. Why would they do such a thing? And given that they would do such a thing, why should we feel bound by their decision?

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 18.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 09:45
    Edited by Michael Ikeda 08-23-2018 09:59
    In general, the questions on the 2000 long form were not included in the 2010 Census because the 2010 Census dropped the long form (only the "short form" questions were included).  The American Community Survey (ACS) was intended to replace the "long form" and the questions on the ACS are similar to what was covered in the "long form".

Michael Ikeda

• 19.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 08:39
    Echoing what Dennis E. Sweitzer said, allow me to add that a change in government could lead to removing this question in the future, further complicating the use of these data and weakening arguments that must be based on them.

If a citizenship question is introduced for political purposes, a precedent will be set to constantly vary the content of the Census. Congressional Districts are changed every 10 years based on the Census - the Census itself should not be. If it is the Citizenship question this time, what other issue will complicate the Census in the future? We must protest the imputation of political purposes on this important scientific tool, harming the statistical integrity of the Census.

• 20.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 19:15
    It's easy to find out about this.  Take a look at the index of questions for each year, publicly available on that wonderful invention, the Internet, in detail, going back to 1790 (!)

Index of Questions - History - U.S. Census Bureau
    (https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/index_of_questions/)

Working back to 1950 (we don't want to live in the past after all, and I am at least as lazy as the next man), the census usually asks about citizenship, ether directly (e.g in 2000 and 1990) or by parts (in 1950, it is a combination of "What State or country was the person born" and "If foreign born, is the person naturalized?".  The year 2010 was one of the exceptions.

Moreover it is obvious that the questions change a lot every go round, varying dramatically in number and content.  Did the ASA object to the exclusion of the citizenship question in 2010 on the basis of "inconsistency"?  Should they lobby now for reversion to the norm? Or invariant census questions, directly contrary to past practice? We should be told.

I rather suspect that those who formulated this "objection" never actually looked at the historical record of census questions.  At least, that's the kindest interpretation. 

Gavan Tredoux
    Lead Data Scientist, Customer Analytics
    Bayer

• 21.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-26-2018 18:40

The long form questions from 2000 (of which citizenship is one) were all eliminated in 2010 because the long form was abandoned..  The collection of the long form information was basically shifted to the American Community Survey.

Michael Ikeda

• 22.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-23-2018 22:37
    Of course not all of this statement is an attempt to cloak a tendentious opinion in the guise of scientific authority, there is also the learned advice about the constitutionality of a census question that has been asked almost every year since (at least) 1950 and only omitted in 2010.  I wasn't aware that there is any special advantage to pronouncements on such arcane matters by statisticians, but perhaps I am just not abreast of the latest developments. Did you use maximum likelihood?  A Monte Carlo simulation? A bootstrap on the articles of the constitution?  Whatever it was, it doesn't appear to require support any cited authority, so it must be a major advance.

• 23.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-26-2018 13:03
    Let's turn now to the parts of this remarkable document which refer to the internal conduct of the government departments involved, e.g. "In a report to Secretary Ross, the scientific staff of the Census Bureau recommended, in a memo from John Abowd, against the inclusion of the citizenship question in the 2020 census, arguing that alternative means using administrative record of obtaining that information were preferable"  

It is not the business of the ASA to prescribe to government departments how to conduct their internal affairs, or to make suggestions to them about matters of administrative expediency, let alone simply repeat hearsay about those affairs. If the government chooses not to use alternative means to collect information, that is entirely their prerogative.  By phrasing things as they have, the ASA has guaranteed that their "advice" will be ignored as arrogant meddling, quite aside from the embarrassing "technical" content that anyone familiar with the census would immediately see through as a thin pretext. 

Why do this? Because the intended audience is not the government itself, but rather the political constituency of the authors.  In short, grandstanding. 

• 24.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-29-2018 15:13
    Gavan,
    Sorry to indulge in ad hominem, but do you have the kind of experience in survey analysis and with statisticians in the Census that would support the sarcastic comments and out-of-context historical claims you have been making on this topic? Your comments appear to be based largely on Internet queries. I've taught survey methods and consulted with Census, BLS, Education, and other agencies over the last 40 years, but I would not consider myself experienced enough to offer opinions on this topic. The issues involved in the ASA statement are highly complex and have been discussed for a long time by knowledgeable statisticians inside and outside Census. I haven't seen many statistical specialists in this field joining with the politician who initiated this demand. There have been controversies between statisticians in the past (e.g., the debate over sampling that pitted John Tukey against Leo Breiman), but this one, in its genesis and subsequent debate, is more about politics than statistics.

Leland Wilkinson
    H2O

• 25.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-29-2018 22:02

Leland: 

You state "but this one, in its genesis and subsequent debate, is more about politics than statistics." I could not agree more. This is about politics and not about statistics. Why then is the ASA weighing in on a political issue?

Paul Thompson, Ph.D., PSTAT(R)
    President
    Thompson Solutions

• 26.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-30-2018 09:17
    I believe I answered this question earlier (response #13).​

Jay Beder
    Professor
    University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

• 27.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-30-2018 13:29
    Jay has answered this question. When someone makes impactful public policy arguments/decisions based on politics and ignores technical/scientific issues, there is a responsibility of professional organizations to explain the technical issues in clear language the public can understand. That is a role ASA (e.g., statistics), AMA (e.g., vaccination), AAAS (e.g., climate), the National Academies (all of the above), should play, I believe. If they don't, who will protect us from scientific nonsense driving public policy?

Leland Wilkinson
    H2O

• 28.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-30-2018 15:41
    The Census Bureau just posted this working paper: "Understanding the Quality of Alternative Citizenship Data Sources for the 2020 Census" at https://ideas.repec.org/p/cen/wpaper/18-38.html

Abstract

This paper examines the quality of citizenship data in self-reported survey responses compared to administrative records and evaluates options for constructing an accurate count of resident U.S. citizens. Person-level discrepancies between survey-collected citizenship data and administrative records are more pervasive than previously reported in studies comparing survey and administrative data aggregates. Our results imply that survey-sourced citizenship data produce significantly lower estimates of the noncitizen share of the population than would be produced from currently available administrative records; both the survey-sourced and administrative data have shortcomings that could contribute to this difference. Our evidence is consistent with noncitizen respondents misreporting their own citizenship status and failing to report that of other household members. At the same time, currently available administrative records may miss some naturalizations and capture others with a delay. The evidence in this paper also suggests that adding a citizenship question to the 2020 Census would lead to lower self-response rates in households potentially containing noncitizens, resulting in higher fieldwork costs and a lower-quality population count.

--
    Andrew Reamer
    Research Professor
    George Washington Institute of Public Policy
    George Washington University

805 21 St., NW,  Room 613
    Washington, DC  20052

(202) 994-7866

• 29.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-30-2018 18:04
    Here's an idea for an interesting analysis.  Let everyone who has contributed to this discussion answer two questions.  Was his or her comment was in support of including the question, opposed to including it, or waffling?  Is he or she a Democrat or a Republican?  Then someone can construct a contingency table to see whether our statistical opinions depend on our political leanings.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 30.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 08-31-2018 20:20

Correlation is not causality. Never thought I'd have to say that here.

David

David J Corliss PhD
    Founder and Director, Peace-Work
    davidjcorliss@peace-work.org

• 31.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 09-03-2018 15:33
    Good point, David.  I should have said "are related to".  However, if we do find a relationship it would be interesting to ask, "Why?".

After the year 2000 election there was a strong correlation between party affiliation and the answer people gave to a survey question regarding what should have been done (if anything) regarding the Florida result. 

PS, I agree that correlation does not imply causation but I think that it is often valuable to investigate interesting correlations.  Smoking and lung cancer is a prime example.  Once a correlation was found, randomized experiments were performed using (sorry PETA) beagles.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 32.  RE: ASA Comments on 2020 Census Federal Register Notice

Posted 09-03-2018 16:27
    The late David Freedman, famous statistician at UCB, did a lot of work with the Census Bureau. I once asked him whether the Bureau was political. He replied, "No in the sense that they are not aligned with one political party, but yes in the sense that they are driven by a commitment to social justice."

I share that commitment, but David's statement is highly relevant to the topic at hand. Yes, it IS political. I know some of the people who've been writing here, and I have been able to predict their views on this topic with 100% accuracy, because I know their politics. I dare say people who are worried about undercount of the undocumented, ostensibly as a purely statistical issue, might be a lot less worried about undercount of Trump's base. :-)

Just my two cents' worth. :-)

Norman Matloff (lifelong Democrat)
    University of California, Davis