ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  ISEF Judge Recruitment

Posted 02-19-2018 15:35

It is the Pittsburgh Chapter's turn to host the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, a rather large and prestigious fair to be hosted in a few months' time (May 13-18).  There will be over 1,000 students presenting their work, and we have been requested to recruit at least 30 statistically-oriented judges to accommodate the large number of posters that we must review to dole out the statistical awards.

I am writing in the hopes of recruiting some of you that may have ties to the Pittsburgh area as potential judges.  We will conduct the statistical judging on Tuesday, May 15 and Wednesday, May 16.  We will conduct a preliminary judging on Tuesday to narrow down the student posters to those that contain quantitative analysis, and on Wednesday we will perform more detailed review of the highest-scored presentations to name our top award-winners.  A continental breakfast/lunch is available for judges on both days and there will be a dinner provided by the American Statistical Association on the evening of Tuesday, May 15.  We are currently trying to secure a sponsor to cover some hotel rooms for those that will be traveling from outside the greater Pittsburgh area, and will keep potential judges from that area apprised of any developments.  If that is unsuccessful, I also would offer to accommodate one guest judge at my home for the night, and we may ask other Chapter members to do the same if straits are particularly dire.

Please forward this to your department colleagues and anyone else in the statistical community with ties to the Pittsburgh area that may be interested in participating.  If you are interested and willing to participate, please let me know and I will gladly add your name to the list of volunteers.  I will also be very personally grateful!

------------------------------
    Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Supervisor of Statistical Projects
    UPMC Heart & Vascular Institute
    Presbyterian Hospital, Office C701
    Phone: 412-802-6811
    Email: althousead@upmc.edu
    Twitter: @ADAlthousePhD
    ------------------------------