ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  When to apply for jobs?

Posted 03-14-2019 06:40
    Greetings, 
        I am a 3yrd PhD Epi/Biostat student, I should be finished by this December of Spring 2020. When is an appropriate time to start looking for jobs? Which job engine do you all use? I've noticed some fantastic opportunities at Eli Lilly, but wanted to be as competitive as possible without missing out on a wonderful position?

thanks
    brian

------------------------------
    Brian Kovacic
    Full-time PhD Biostat/Epi Student
    University of Kentucky

• 2.  RE: When to apply for jobs?

Posted 03-15-2019 09:30
    Brian,

It's a great question.  I think it's never too early to start networking and making connections, and if there are places you're interested in working, you should reach out and try to make some contacts there, even if you're not applying to one specific job opening.

As for applying to a specific job posting: academic job searches happen very slowly and it's reasonable to apply as early as a full year before you are going to graduate (maybe even more).  I started talking to people at least a year before completing my PhD, just to feel out their needs and whether my skills and interest was a good fit for them.  Industry positions are likely to be filled more "on the spot" (i.e. if an insurance company has a posting up today, they probably need someone sooner rather than later, not a PhD student who is still a year away from graduating) but I still think it's okay to put in an application; if they interview you and like you, it could turn into an opportunity down the line if they have another opening.

Hope this helps!

Andrew D. Althouse, PhD
    Assistant Professor of Medicine
    Center for Research on Health Care Data Center (CRHC-DC)
    Center for Clinical Trials & Data Coordination (CCDC)
    University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
    200 Meyran Avenue, Suite 300
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    Email: ada62@pitt.edu
    Twitter: @ADAlthousePhD

• 3.  RE: When to apply for jobs?

Posted 03-15-2019 12:17

The season for academic recruiting runs from about Nov-Jan for applications and Jan-April for review of applications, interviews, offers, and negotiations. In non-academia, there is no season, but you should be far into completing ALL the requirements for your PhD before applying.

Related to this:

(1) Do not start your career until all your graduate work is signed and sealed. I've seen too many "ABDs" (All But Dissertation) start their careers with That Thing hanging over the personal and professional lives. And some never complete the PhD.

(2) Your dissertation should be solid work, something that gets you to a PhD-level of intellectual confidence and maturity. But do not strive to make it your life's singular achievement. Hopefully, that will come later.

Stories teach--and old men like to tell them.

Many years ago, when I was director of a large biostatistics consulting unit at a major medical center, "Tom" (not his real name, but he will know this was about him if he reads this) had been in a full-time MS-level position for at least three years since leaving his PhD program as an ABD. He was now leading one of our teams and making a good salary for a young, single guy who had a nice non-work life. When I would ask Tom how his dissertation was coming, I'd hear of no progress and no earnest desire to make any. So one day, I hit him hard by explaining with conservative numbers what his lifetime earnings difference would be if got his PhD and continued working in the same organization. In 2019 dollars, for a 30-YO who will work till 65, the total income added by a PhD over an MS is well over $1million.

Tom got busy and competed his dissertation. I knew his chairman, so I am sure the work was solid. Nobody but his other PhD committee members may ever read it, but The Thing was D*O*N*E. Tom stayed in the same role at work, was now more confident and respected, and was also able to teach (which he enjoys). He got something like a 25% raise, which will only compound for the rest of his career.

I'm sure I told Tom about the ever-pragmatic Nina (her real name!). When she was doing her dissertation in developmental psychology 40 years ago, she told me, "Ralph, I just want to get the f&^&^% thing done." We've stayed in touch. She has had a great career and non-work life, and the last time she wrote, she and her husband were preparing to retire.

Ralph O'Brien
    Professor of Biostatistics (officially retired; still keenly active)
    Case Western Reserve University
    http://rfuncs.weebly.com/about-ralph-obrien.html