ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Which market does data science belong to, winner-take-all or auction?

Posted 05-31-2017 12:43
    I am a PhD student in Biostatistics. I have some questions about career in data science after reading the book So Good They Can't Ignore You By Cal Newport.
    Career capital is defined as a skill that's equally rare and valuable.
    The author said there were 2 types of markets, winner-take-all and auction.

• Winner-take-all market has only one type of career capital available. For example, in the field of television writing, quality of scripts is the single career capital. Another example is blogging field. It requires consistently high quality contents alone.
    • Auction market has many different types of career capital and each person might generate a unique collection.

Questions:

1. Which market does data science belong to?
    2. If you think data science has only one career capital that a skill is equally rare and valuable, i.e., winner-take-all market, what is that skill?
    3. If you think data science is auction market (each person might generate a unique collection of career capital),
    1. List each career capital and evaluate it based on the criteria: whether it is rare and whether it is valuable.
    2. Order your list of career capitals by the criteria
    3. Describe persons who have different unique collection of career capitals
    After reading the several posts in the forum and articles in ASA magazine, I got a list of skills and am not sure how to evaluate them because of lack of experience in industry. It is not a good answer that all of them are equally important. For me, quality is over quantity. I really do not have time to polish all skills.

• hands on real-world data
    • programming
    • presentation
    • communication
    • writing
    • networking
    Skills outside the list above are welcomed. But sound and considerate answers are more welcomed.

For example, you organize the answer as follows (It is just an example, not what I think):
    Data science is auction market.

1. The list of career capitals
    * Hands on real-world data:
    * Value: It is the reason that data scientists are hired. Thus it is valuable.
    * Rareness: All data scientists in the industry have this experience. It is not rare.
    * programming
    * Value: It is the tool that data scientists use to get real work done. Thus it is valuable.
    * Rareness: All data scientists in the industry have this experience. It is not rare.

2. The order of career capitals
    1. hands on real-world data
    2. Programming
    Reason: Even if both of skills are both valuable but not that rare, programming can be delegated to entry-level/junior/research assistant employees but real-world data experience cannot be replaced by others. Hence, real-world data experience is more important than programming. Several colleagues of mine got promoted because of the abundance of real-world data experience even if they are not good at programming or cannot program at all.
    (If there are more than 2 career capitals, the best style of answers will be pairwise comparison of all career capitals.)

3. There are 2 collections of skills
    * hands on real-world data only
    * People who have this skill can become leaders of huge data science projects.
    * programming only
    * research assistants
    Because each project requires too much time for programming, they are hard to get abundant experience of real-world data like people who has the above collection.

------------------------------
    Yingjie Hu
    Student

• 2.  RE: Which market does data science belong to, winner-take-all or auction?

Posted 06-03-2017 06:09

Hi Yingjie,

I unfortunately don't have the time to write the in-depth treatment you seem to be asking for. However, here are a few words.

I wrote about my understanding of data science at DS.Stackexchange here: https://datascience.stackexchange.com/a/2406/2853. Basically, I see DS as requiring critical skills in four separate areas:

·         Communication

·         Statistics

·         Programming

·         Business/subject area

Now, all four areas cover a vast variety of subareas. Communication ranges from being able to give in-depth statistics courses at post-graduate level, to creating useful and convincing data visualizations, to writing helpful posts at CrossValidated and DS.SE, to giving a perfect TEDx talk – and these are wildly different capabilities. I wouldn't expect someone who excels at one of these subareas to excel equally at a different one. Same for statistics – I happen to think I'm good at forecasting and a little inferential statistics, but please don't trust me on survival analyses or text mining. And programming: not every R expert knows Python, Julia and SAS equally well, or can put together a specialized numeric application in C++. Finally, the DS-relevant subject matter expertise differs enormously between an expert in DS for retail (where I work), compared to someone who does inferential statistics for psychology studies (which I dabble in) or someone who optimizes insurance contracts or does image classification for Google.

Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoon, likes to look at people's "talent stack": https://duckduckgo.com/?q="talent+stack"+site%3Ablog.dilbert.com

DS is such a vast field that people with extremely different talent stacks can be world-leading experts in wildly disparate subfields, using very different statistical methods and tools, and talking to people in wildly different ways.

So: I don't see DS as winner-take-all. There are huge numbers of auctions going on, and your particular talent stack will allow you to bid at some of them, but certainly not all.

All the best

Stephan

Dr. Stephan Kolassa

Data Science Expert

Author with Enno Siemsen of Demand Forecasting for Managers by Business Expert Press

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephankolassa

ORCID: 0000-0001-9393-0765

PI ICD IE Consumer Industries | SAP (Schweiz) AG, High-Tech-Center 2, Bahnstrasse 1, 8274 Tägerwilen, Switzerland

T +41 58 871 5527, F +41 58 871 55 12, M +41 79 927 30 14, email: Stephan.Kolassa@sap.com

• 3.  RE: Which market does data science belong to, winner-take-all or auction?

Posted 06-11-2017 20:55
    Yingjie, if you are trying to decide on a career path, I think you are asking the wrong question.

Finding something you are good at and that people are willing to pay you to do is necessary but not sufficient.  You also want it to be fun and you want it to give you satisfaction.  Keep in mind that you'll be doing that sort of thing for many many years.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org