ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Constructing a Data Analytics Centers for a Business School

Posted 08-02-2017 11:57

Colleagues,

We are endeavoring to develop a data analytics center for our business school. I was hoping to garner some advise on and direction on the process.

Please email JCulver@ewu.edu

Thank you,

Jeff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 2.  RE: Constructing a Data Analytics Centers for a Business School

Posted 08-03-2017 00:49
    The requirements for a "Big Data" system will be quite different than a typical computer lab. 

What types of data are you going to deal with?

------------------------------
    Andrew Ekstrom

Statistician, Chemist, HPC Abuser;-)

• 3.  RE: Constructing a Data Analytics Centers for a Business School

Posted 08-03-2017 00:57
    Hello Mr. Jeffrey,

I am sure you must have set up a pathway to it.

With the details I tried to explore, I understood the following as steps to set up and grow a data analytics centre at a B-School.

1. Develop understanding among students about data, data types, weight, data tendency and patterns, with the help of small or integrated simulations or business games. We should rope in faculty members from all courses to contribute in designing of these games, so that games get a flavour of real time business processes. 
    2. Encourage students to look for real time data from secondary and primary sources and help them clean that data for analysis.
    3. Give the students and faculty members from other streams, an exposure to statistical packages like R.
    4. Help students to connect data with research objectives, or to read data better.
    I hope it helps.

Regards,

Vivek Bhatt
    Faculty Member
    Ahmedabad University
    Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
    GUJARAT - INDIA - 380051.
    +91-9824064100

• 4.  RE: Constructing a Data Analytics Centers for a Business School

Posted 08-04-2017 12:48
    You may want to directly contact people who have been directly involved with Making Statistics More effective in Schools of Business (MSMESB), which started at U Chicago in the 80's.  

Or, you may want to look at a few business schools which have carved out an analytics specialty.  What you can do, of course, depends on your students, their backgrounds & goals, whether we are talking undergrad or MBA, and other factors.  One school which has made a run at designing programs for both undergrad and MBA is Loras College.  It's hard to find sufficient detail from catalog course descriptions, so my recommendation would be to review them, and then contact the program director for sample syllabi.

Re:  MSMESB, Google it, or, here is a link to a recent conference.  It may be useful to contact some of the peopel you see listed as having been involved:  Making Statistics More Effective in Schools of Business, DSI 2015

Vcu remove preview
    Making Statistics More Effective in Schools of Business, DSI 2015
    Making Statistics More Effective for Schools of Business sessions for DSI 2015 This page last updated on January 11, 2016 by Robert L. Andrews , Department of Supply Chain Management and Analytics, Virginia Commonwealth University Click the link associated with a presenter's name to download their presentations.
    View this on Vcu >

John Watts
    SVP, Chief Research and Strategy Officer, Unison (unisonhq.com)