ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

"The Price Is Right" probability

• 1.  "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-18-2016 09:27

I had a fun little question I wanted to toss out to the group, related to something that happened recently on the game show "The Price Is Right". You can get an overview from here: All Three "Price Is Right" Contestants Spun $1 And OMG They Freaked Out.

For those not as familiar with the show, there's a part where contestants spin a large wheel, which is labeled with money amounts from five cents to $1.00 in five-cent increments ($0.05, $0.10, $0.15, etc.). The contestants spin the wheel once and then optionally a second time. Any contestant who spins exactly $1.00, either on the first spin or as a total from two spins, wins an extra $1,000.

What happened is that 3 contestants in a row each spun exactly $1.00 on two spins: $0.35 + $0.65, $0.50 + $0.50, and $0.85 + $0.15.

Naturally, the question that comes to mind is: what is the probability of all three contestants spinning numbers that add up to $1.00, on two spins each?

My first thought was 1 / ( ( 20 ^ 2) ^ 3), or 1 in 64,000,000. But that doesn't take into account relative positioning on the wheel, and assumes that every amount is equally likely to be landed on from every other amount. Thinking about it more, it might just be 1 / (20^3), or 1 in 8,000.

I'd love to read anyone elses' thoughts about how to approach this.

------------------------------
    Gabriel Farkas

• 2.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-19-2016 11:35

Gabriel, thank you for a fun exercise to do while eating breakfast.  Though I haven't seen "The Price Is Right" in years, I did frequently watch it as a young kid who was interested in how much things cost.

This could be an interesting question to pose in a probability class -- not just to see someone's answer, but to hear their reasoning behind it to assess understanding of probability principles.

I noted that you want the probability of all 3 contestants specifically needing two spins to reach exactly $1.00.  There are 20 possibilities during each spin of the wheel.  Here goes for a single player:

P(1st spin <> $1.00) * P(2nd spin yields $1.00 total)  =  19/20 * 1/20  =  0.0475

For all 3 players:

(19/20 * 1/20) ^ 3  =  0.0475 ^ 3   =   0.0001071718  or about 1 in 9,331.

The logic: there are 19 non-$1.00 possibilities (out of 20) on the first spin.  After that, there is only 1 possibility (out of 20) on the 2nd spin, which would yield a sum of $1.00.

As to the assumptions, yes, I assumed equal likelihood for reaching all 20 spots on the wheel.  The subtle differences due to starting position on the wheel relative to the "target result" is unknowable.  It mostly depends on the strength of the spin that a contestant can give.  The more revolutions given, the closer to reaching our assumption.  For those "weak" contestants who can barely achieve the required minimum of 1 full revolution of the wheel, the odds could be far from the assumption.

By the way, I think many viewers of the show would be more interested in the question: "What's the probability that all 3 contestants get $1.00 for the $1,000 prize?"  (... regardless of whether it took one or two spins for any given contestant.)  Here's how I'd do that:

For a single contestant, P(1 spin) + P(2 spins)  =  1/20 + (19/20 * 1/20)  =  0.05 + 0.0475  =  0.0975

For all 3 contestants, P($1.00)  =  0.0975 ^ 3  =  0.0009268594  or about 1 in 1,079.

Mark Martin

• 3.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-19-2016 15:03
    Edited by Hans Kiesl 10-20-2016 05:34

Mark,

at first, I totally agreed with your math. But then, on second thought, it seems a bit more complicated: you calculated the probability of three contestants getting $1.00 under the implicit assumption that the first contestant always spins the wheel a second time if the first spin results in less than $1.00. But if I remember the rules of the game correctly, the first contestant is free to stop after the first spin.

To get a more realistic model, we need the probabilty that the first contestant spins the wheel a second time if the first spin got less than $1.00. Let's call this probability p. Then we'd get the following:

P( 3 times $1.00)  =  (1/20 + 19/20 * p * 1/20 ) * (1/20 + 19/20 * 1/20 )^2

Since we don't know p, we can't calculate this exactly. Let's assume the first contestant decides to stop whenever she gets 75c or more. Then p would be 5/19, and  P( 3 times $1.00) = 0.00059414 or about 1 in 1,683.  This means: on average we have to watch 1,683 showcase showdowns until we witness a "3 times $1.00"-event. This interpretation would not be possible if we ignore the first contestant's stopping option, imho.

-Hans-

Edit: Sorry, mistake in the last paragraph: p would be 1 - 5/19, and  P( 3 times $1.00) =  about 1 in 1,238

Hans Kiesl
    Regensburg University of Applied Sciences
    Germany

• 4.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-20-2016 23:57

Hans,

Good point, and I agree with your assessment.  It truly does depend on how willing the first contestant is to opt for a second spin of the wheel.

Mark Martin

• 5.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-21-2016 12:54
    This is one of those  problems that can have people debating and arguing about what the correct answer.  

I think it depends on the strategy that the players use.  Consider this set of decision rules:
    • Player 1 will attempt to maximize their total spin value without going over $1.00.  
      • To get $1.00, there are two (mutually exclusive outcomes) that achieve that:
        • Get $1.00 on spin 1 (a 1/20 chance)
        • Get a total of $1.00 in two spins  (a 19/20 * (1/20)) chance
      • Overall there is a 39/400 chance this occurs
      • BUT, this assumes the player won't stop after spin 1.
        • In reality, player 1 will probably stop if there first spin is large (for instance, greater than 0.6).  
        • Using a rule that the play will  only spin twice is if the first spin is <= x, then the probability of gettting $1.00 is actually 1/20 + ((x/.05))/20 * 1/20 = (20 + (x/.05)) / 400.
    • Given that player 1 gets $1.00, then player 2 will use the simple strategy of always spinning, giving player 2 a probability of getting $1.00 of 39/400.
    • Given that player 1 and player 2 get $1.00, then player 3 will again "go for it" and also has a probability of 39/400.

Using the strategy described above, the overall probability of 3 players getting $1.00 is 

(20 + x/.05)*39*39/(400^3), for a given value of Player 1's decision rule (spin again if spin 1 is <=x).  

pasted1
    So the probability ranges from 5/10000 to 9.3/10000  (1/2000 - 1/1000).

Let me know what you think about this approach.

Cheers,

Sam Gardner, PStat(R)

• 6.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-21-2016 10:36

Why would anyone stop at some number less than one dollar if a second spin gives him a 1/20 chance of winning $1,000?

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com
    http://www.statisticalconsulting.org

• 7.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-21-2016 12:33

Because there's more to it than that. The person who spins the highest number without going over $1.00 gets to go on to the Showcase Showdown, where they have the chance to win a lot more other prizes. So if you spun, say $0.85, it's probably worth it to stay where you are since most likely the other contestants won't spin higher.

Gabriel Farkas

• 8.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-19-2016 15:46

I agree with the result (39/400)^3 for a single game.  However, The Price is Right has been around for a long time.  How many times has the game been played?  The probability of a triple winner never occurring approximately (1-1/1079)^N.  So by the time the game has been played 750 times the odds become better than even that it will happen.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-21-2016 00:16

Emil,

I looked up the game on Wikipedia.  Since the show's debut in 1972, more than 8000 (!) episodes have aired, roughly 180 episodes annually.  The "Showcase Showdown" began in 1975.  I also learned that the showcase showdown is played twice per episode.  So we could assume about 7500 episodes * 2 showdowns.  Therefore they've aired about 15,000 showcase showdowns.

750 plays of the "Showcase Showdown" would take place in just over 2 years.  So as you've implied, every few years we'd expect all 3 contestants to get an exact $1.00 result, even with Hans' adjustment of the odds to approximately 1 in 1,683 times played.

Mark Martin

• 10.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 10-21-2016 21:57

I love this discussion and have been thinking of ways to incorporate all facets into my classroom this year.

I thought of one other follow up question:

If you are the first player to spin (out of three) in this situation, is there an optimal stopping value to maximize your probability of making the showcase showdown?  In other words, what value or above on your first spin should you immediately stop with.  I'm assuming here too that the next two competitors will try to beat your value even if that means they might go over $1.00.

Happy weekend everyone!

Kevin

Kevin Rees
    Marin Academy

• 11.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 01-14-2017 15:48
      |   view attached
    After some prompting and gentle pushes from a variety of sources, I did design a lesson (for a high school class), implement it in November, and finally wrote about it recently (I needed some time after semester exams to have space in my brain to do so). I have created a new blog and it is my first posting. You can view it here:
    https://probablecausestatistics.wordpress.com/

Thanks to everyone for this discussion and all of your thoughts - I incorporated many of your ideas (but due to <g class="gr_ gr_223 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="223" data-gr-id="223">level</g> of students did leave a few ideas out) - and I'm grateful to this discussion for the inspiration.

If you are curious about what a Three Act Task is, you can check out how it is used in a classroom at Dan Meyer's blog:
    The Three Acts Of A Mathematical Story
    <g class="gr_ gr_312 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="312" data-gr-id="312">dy</g>/dan remove preview
    The Three Acts Of A Mathematical Story
    2016 Aug 6. Here is <g class="gr_ gr_324 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="324" data-gr-id="324"><g class="gr_ gr_321 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="321" data-gr-id="321">video</g></g> of this task structure implemented with elementary students. 2013 May 14. Here's a brief series on how to teach with three-act math tasks. It includes video. 2013 Apr 12. I've been working this blog post into curriculum ideas for a couple years now. They're...
    View this on <g class="gr_ gr_313 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="313" data-gr-id="313"><g class="gr_ gr_315 gr-alert gr_spell gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="315" data-gr-id="315">dy</g></g>/dan >

I'm open to any feedback (both commendations and recommendations) <g class="gr_ gr_363 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="363" data-gr-id="363">too</g> about the lesson (which I've attached as a .pdf).  <g class="gr_ gr_393 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="393" data-gr-id="393">Thanks</g> everyone!

Kevin

Kevin Rees
    Marin Academy

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Price is Right.pdf   85 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: "The Price Is Right" probability

Posted 01-16-2017 12:16
    Theodore P Hill (theodore.hill@math.gatech.edu) has published various analogous stopping rule problems.  I don't know whether he looked at this one.

Emil M Friedman, PhD
    emilfriedman@gmail.com