ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

The Book Recs Thread

• 1.  The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-26-2016 11:03

Hello, all!

The first book recommendations thread was such a success (more than 30 suggested books--take a look!) that I thought I'd make an official 'evergreen' Book Recs Thread. So here we go! Anyone can share a stats-related book they've read and loved here, at any time, and not have to worry that they might be resurrecting a dead conversation.

Oh, and feel free to recommend other types of media, as well! If you're lucky enough to have come across a film, television show, or other piece of pop culture that features statisticians, this is the place to share.

Happy reccing!

- Lara

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-27-2016 10:48

Hi all! Last weekend I happened to pick up The Girls of Atomic City at the airport. Written by Denise Kiernan, it tells the stories of women who moved to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, to help build the atomic bomb and end World War II. One of the women Kiernan follows is a statistician working for the project--but there was so much secrecy surrounding the effort, she was never allowed to know what the data she was analyzing meant. It's a fascinating perspective!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 3.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-28-2016 09:29

Good idea about other types of media. I would recommend several Ted Talks by Hans Rosling, professor of global health at Karolinska Institutet. He also presented the BBC documentary "The joy of stats" which should be available online.

Marco Geraci, PhD CStat
    Associate Professor
    University of South Carolina-Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics

• 4.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-28-2016 16:39

TED Talks are great! Anyone have any podcast recommendations? I walk a lot and love to listen!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 5.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-29-2016 13:07
    You might be interested in Stats+Stories.  You can access at www.statsandstories.net or find it on iTunes (search for "Stats+Stories").  This is a collaboration between the Dept. of Statistics and the Department of Media, Journalism and Film at Miami University.  Statisticians and others (gerontologists, market researchers, television executives, ...) have been guests.  Three ASA presidents have been guests. 

John Bailer (one of the regular panelists on Stats+Stories)
    Dept. of Statistics / Miami University / Oxford, Ohio 45056

• 6.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-29-2016 17:57

I'd advise caution about TED talks. They can be very captivating, but some are based on poor science. One example is Amy Cuddy's well-known TED talk on "power pose". She stuck by her belief in Power Pose despite serious criticisms of the paper reporting her research on the subject, and even despite a replication attempt that did not support her claims. Recently, one of her co-authors (Dana Carney) has come out with a statement not supporting the Power Pose effect, and in addition to previous criticisms, pointing out that she now realizes that the original research purporting to support the effect was not legitimate statistically. (See http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/09/power-poses-co-author-i-dont-think-power-poses-are-real.html for more details, including a link to her statement.)

Martha

Martha Smith
    University of Texas

• 7.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-29-2016 14:05

No one should read Gravity's Rainbow, a novel by Thomas Pynchon, solely for the story of Roger Mexico, a statistician mapping V-2 rocket strikes on London using Poisson distributions.  Gravity's Rainbow is a hard book to read, in a James Joyce kind of way.  But if you're also keen on V-2 rockets (from both ends of the trajectory), and in a mythical polymer known as Imipolex G, maybe its the book for you.  I can guarantee that you will need more than one trip to the beach to even penetrate this very complicated book.

Michael Beck
    830 N 6th Street
    Baton Rouge, LA 70802
    (225) 389-9931
    mbeck2@alumni.lsu.edu

• 8.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 09-29-2016 19:17

Kind of on the heal of this conversation, I wanted to send a shout out to John Bailer, Richard Campbell and Bob Long at Stats + Stories... I had to clean my office today (the piles of papers were just too much!), and did it whilst listening to some of their archived podcasts... great stuff!

Stats and Stories

Mary Kwasny
    Associate Professor

• 9.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 10-03-2016 10:35

Though summer has gone, I still managed to read a novel at the beach last week and recommend Stoner by John Williams. It's not exactly stats-related, but those of us working in academia might nevertheless enjoy it (given you like reading novels and do not find authors like Philip Roth too depressing). The novel was published 50 years ago with new editions in 2003 and 2006 (when it got a worldwide success). It's about the private and academic life of the (ficticious) English professor William Stoner (though the subject is not essential, it could as well have been a Statistics professor, that's why I consider it on-topic), whose marriage and academic career both are somewhat failures. But then, who decides what a successful life must look like, and why do we think to be automatically entitled to a successful life? If you have not read this book, this may sound a little boring, but it really is not. Let's face it, most of us in academia will not revolutionize academic teaching nor will we establish a game-changing statistical procedure bearing our name, so we're probably closer related to William Stoner than we might think. But beware, if you're currently in serious doubts about the bright future of your academic career or about your forthcoming marriage, this might not be the book to pick up ;-)

Hans Kiesl
    Regensburg University of Applied Sciences
    Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
    Germany

• 10.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 10-11-2016 15:24

Hi all, 

Has anyone read "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly? It's about mathematicians rather than statisticians (but I see a data processing center in the previews!)... it looks super interesting and there's a movie based on the book coming out next January. 

Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race 

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 11.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 10-13-2016 08:43

Yes, I just finished "Hidden Figures" a few weeks ago! I thought it was well-researched and well-written. I was disappointed that the book did not include any photographs, but that was a minor shortcoming, in my opinion.

Earlier this year, I read "Rise of the Rocket Girls," which was similar to "Hidden Figures," in that both books were about female computers at NASA (or its predecessor organization, NACA) facilities. I thought "Rocket Girls" was good, but I enjoyed "Hidden Figures" more, since there was a better focus on the professional lives of the women, and the environment of the segregated society in which they lived. In addition, I thought Shetterley did a better job of describing the work that was being performed.

Rebecca Morrison
    Survey Methodologist
    National Center for Science & Engineering Statistics
    National Science Foundation

• 12.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 10-14-2016 07:22

Thanks Rebecca! Both of these books are going on my Audible wish list! That's too bad about the pictures... maybe they'll include some in the credits of the movie!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 13.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 01-25-2017 17:16
    Been a while since I've seen any new popular stats/data science books recommended in ASA Connect! Have you read (or watched or listened to) anything good recently?

(I can tell you, Hidden Figures was *the* popular book being talked about at JMM 2017, when James Earle and I were staffing a booth there. I still haven't read it! /looks at TBR stack /which, if it were actually a stack, would be at least six feet tall)

- Lara

Lara Harmon

• 14.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 01-25-2017 21:34

If it hasn't already been mentioned, Computer Age Statistical Inference, by Trevor Hastie and Bradley Efron is a new one that is very interesting and very germane to the current climate.

LOUIS W. GIOKAS

Student

M. S. in Applied Statistics

DePaul University

Chicago, IL 60614

Phone: +1-630-596-6019

• 15.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 02-21-2017 12:50
    Has anyone else read Giorgia Lupi and Stefanie Posavec's Dear Data yet? I just finished it (checked it out from my library! I was pleased they had it). It seems like it would be an interesting book for getting book groups/classrooms/etc. involved in asking questions about data collection and data visualization. Also about what it might mean to to form a friendship around communicating in data instead of in text!

(Posting as an individual in this case, of course--the ASA has no official opinions on the book ;) )

- Lara

Lara Harmon

• 16.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 02-22-2017 08:35
    A book I'm enjoying so far is Richard McElreath's Statistical Rethinking.
    Xcelab remove preview
    Statistical Rethinking
    "This is a rare and valuable book that combines readable explanations, computer code, and active learning." -Andrew Gelman, Columbia University "...an impressive book that I do not hesitate recommending for prospective data analysts and applied statisticians!" -Christian Robert, Université Paris-Dauphine ( review) "A pedagogical masterpiece..."
    View this on Xcelab >

I have been learning about all kinds of Machine Learning, mostly guided by Christopher Bishop's Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, a wonderful, consistent presentation of diverse techniques.  But I am especially interested in multilevel models as an alternative to the current tendency in ML practicioners to use ever more complex neural networks.  Neural networks are great, and things like convolutional neural networks, long short-term memory, and reinforcement learning are achieving great results.  Interpretability, though, for these models is even more cutting edge than the techniques themselves.

Whereas neural networks shine when interpretability is not the main goal, data is massively plentiful, and computing power is abundant, multilevel models shine when data is not too big to fit in the memory of a single machine, and that's pretty often.  Do a web search for "you don't have big data" to read pieces by many authors reminding us that very often, useful and sufficient datasets can fit into the RAM of a single machine.

McElreath's Statistical Rethinking emphasizes the relationship between a human mind engaged in scientific inquiry and the statistical tools that can help.  It builds up concepts from first principles in very quick and convincing arguments.  Those explanations will help me to inspire confidence in peers when I use the statistical tools described in the book.  Finally, it uses R and Stan, two great open source software packages, to provide concrete examples of the statistical techniques the book covers.

The book makes the statement that multilevel modeling should be the default way of approaching statistical modeling, and it supports that thesis well.  Other books have made the same claim, including Gelman and Hill's Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models, but McElreath has a uniquely effective way of bridging the natural world we live in and the statistical world we work in.

Edward Cashin
    Research Scientist II

• 17.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 03-02-2017 15:39
    Hi all, 

At the recommendation of another statistician, I downloaded Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann this morning and have absolutely loved what I've heard so far! It's the story of two young Germans (Alexander von Humboldt and Carl Friedrich Gauss, whom you may have head of before) who set out to measure the world. I laughed out loud several times while listening, and it seems like a quick and enjoyable read. 10/10 would recommend!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 18.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 03-04-2017 18:48

Dr. Nussbaum and Others:

Stephen Stigler has something related to this in his book The Seven Pillars of Statistical Wisdom, in Pillar 1 (Chapter 1, "Aggregation") and in Pillar 7 (Chapter 7, "Residual").

---------------------------------------
    David Bernklau
    (David Bee on Internet)
    ---------------------------------------

• 19.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 03-15-2017 13:19

I forgot to mention that I read The Ghost Map, by Steven Johnson, last month, and really enjoyed it! I believe Douglas Hlavacek recommended it, in the first iteration of the book rec thread. It covered such a broad swath of territory, but still managed to pull it all together into a compelling, extremely readable narrative.

From a layperson's perspective, I felt like it could be used as an entryway for leading people (students?) into deeper investigation of any number of subjects, from data visualization to confirmation bias to the value of the census to experimental design and more. I think I would have enjoyed reading it in a class, and (as a story- and social-oriented person) found it useful as a jumping-off point to build to more abstract thought and learning from.

Anyone else read any good popular stats/data science works lately?

- Lara

(As always, no official endorsements intended, on my part! Whenever I post about books, it's my fully unofficial personal thoughts ;) )

Lara Harmon

• 20.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 03-21-2017 10:27
    Okay, they're not stats, but I feel like folks might still find these interesting:

Has anyone read any of Lillian Lieber's books? I just saw them recommended on Twitter, and they're apparently free verse illustrated books on physics and math concepts for lay readers, written in the 1940s. I have to admit, that sounds pretty amazing.

- Lara

Lara Harmon

• 21.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 08-09-2017 14:29
    Relevant to this thread! I just saw This Is Statistics is asking for folks' favorite stats and/or data science books over on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThisisStats/status/895319277783339010

So if you have a Twitter account, and want to contribute, pop on over to the link!

- Lara

Lara Harmon

• 22.  RE: The Book Recs Thread

Posted 08-28-2017 10:14
    Edited by Lara Harmon 08-28-2017 13:23
    I was reading Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad a week ago, and it occurred to me that there's lot of folks in data science, machine learning, and statistics might like in Lem's work. He's a celebrated Polish science fiction author (among other types of writing and genres).

Lem has a lot of fun with wordplay (including plenty of math-and-stats-based wordplay--I bow before his translators, who must do an enormous amount of work to come up with Polish-to-English equivalents) and his work has a Gulliver's Travels-like eye for the absurdity of much human behavior and thought. The Cyberiad is all about the pitfalls in developing machines to make us happier or life easier, or to replicate human endeavors like art, poetry, and love.

If you haven't read Lem before, I'd give his work a look--with the caveat that it's usually a bit of a downer, if you're not in a resiliently optimistic mood!

- Lara

Lara Harmon