ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Graduate School Decision Help

Posted 08-04-2016 19:04

I graduated Binghamton University with a B.A in math. After graduation, I pursued the actuarial field. During my pursuit, I realized that I am interested in the statistical elements of actuary science rather than the insurance/ actuarial elements. I am now looking to go to graduate school for statisticswithin a year and am currently studying for GREs. I am unsure when I should pursue a degree.

I have a few options.

1-Binghamton accepted me for this fall despite applying in August. The program costs only 20k for both years. The problem is that Binghamton has no reputation for statistics as it is a brand new program. Furthermore, they told me that they have no job network or connections.

2-I can apply for this Spring. In the interim I can take additional relevant coursework and maybe pursue SAS certification. However, only a fraction of the schools have Spring programs. I found 11 programs 8 of which are ranked by U.S News. I can probably find a few more.

3-I can apply for data analyst and other entry  jobs for this year and apply for the following fall. However I would only want to pursue this, if I can efficiently obtain a job since it would be for a potentially short duration.

Also note Binghamton is a 2 year program. Many of the graduate directors told me their program is 1.5 years.

What are your thoughts? How important is the network of the graduate program?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

------------------------------
    Daniel Blickstein

• 2.  RE: Graduate School Decision Help

Posted 08-05-2016 07:42
    If you haven't seen it yet, you (and others) interested in a graduate degree in statistics might find the series of four blog posts from  by Michael Lopez to be of interest.

--
    Scott Nestler, PhD, CAP, PStat
    Associate Teaching Professor
    IT, Analytics, & Operations
    University of Notre Dame
    574.631.8117 (Office)
    snestler@nd.edu" style="color: #0D233F; font-size: 16px" target="_blank">snestler@nd.edu

383 Mendoza
    Notre Dame, IN 46556

• 3.  RE: Graduate School Decision Help

Posted 08-05-2016 10:42

Thank you for all of your replies.

I would like to make it clear that I am not interested in pursuing actuary science or a Ph.D. 

Daniel Blickstein

• 4.  RE: Graduate School Decision Help

Posted 08-05-2016 13:41

Hi Daniel,
    Here are my two cents' worth. One main point is, though you ask about time, "I am unsure WHEN I should pursue a degree," I wonder whether the larger concern is money? Often the two are linked.

• Some places give scholarships for masters programs in stats. Does Binghamton? Do the others you are looking at? Can you find out what your chances are for a scholarship and money for living?
    • At a new program, initially there may be fewer courses offered than at established programs. That limits your chances to explore and find what you are most interested in. On the other hand, if they know you at Binghamton and will give you scholarship money and money for living, maybe that offsets the negatives.
    • One thing that is possible is to start at Binghamton now, but continue looking for other stats programs that are better suited to you. This November, while taking stats courses at Binghamton, you could apply to other programs. By March or April when you find out the results, you will also have a better idea about whether Binghamton is where you want to be. Meanwhile you will have been learning statistics and refining your understanding of where in the field your interests lie.
    • Some places are beginning to offer masters degrees in data science. Would that appeal? I know of a program in California that is a one year data science masters program. There may be similar programs in the Northeast.  This might be easier to answer after taking some more courses involving computing or doing a free MOOC course on data science. The MOOC courses I know of are free and typically very challenging, and you will learn a lot.

Cheers,

John Bear
    Statistics PhD student

• 5.  RE: Graduate School Decision Help

Posted 08-08-2016 11:55

Going to Grad school is a big investment in you, both time and money. I strongly recommend you do your research, holding out for another year. Each program has its unique personality that may or may not fit you or your needs. Here are some points to concern from my experience:

1) I would not pay for a grad degree in statistics. Many of the top universities have Graduate Research Positions, in return for teaching undergrad courses, where they waive tuition and provide a stipend, which may included health insurance coverage. I actually did not teach while in grad school, I worked at a local company, through the university, that waived my tuition and provided a stipend. This might be another thing to look into.

2) While you might learn the same information in all the schools, there are other aspects that can add to your development and career perspectives. Many programs have joint degrees to deepen the domain knowledge around statistics.  Also, see if the schools have capstone projects or have internship programs to get applied experience.  As you mentioned belonging to a program that has a strong alumni association for networking is a plus. Look at the hiring statistics for that school as well: Many of the most competitive companies only target the strong schools or those that they are familiar with.  These can make you stand out vs your peers.

Sarah Kalicin
    Intel Corporation