ASA Connect

View Only

Last week in ASA Connect - what did you miss?

• 1.  Last week in ASA Connect - what did you miss?

Posted 07-26-2016 11:50

Hello, all!

It's that week--the week in which JSM 2016 starts (the conference opens on 7/30). Next week's review of posts may be a little late, as I'll be onsite at JSM, so I apologize for that delay ahead of time!

But now, on to the past week's posts:

Four conversations started last week that you might want to take a look at:
    Mark Ward posted a call for proposals for faculty who want to conduct an ASA-coordinated REU Site during Summer 2017.

I followed up Amy Nussbaum's earlier question about what AI means for statisticians. Thank you to Karriem Perry, Raid Amin, Christian Graf, Herman Autore, and Sidney Young for their replies! I'm sharing them with Amy. (Please feel free to follow the links and share your perspective, too!)

Steve Pierson announced the first meeting of the Commission of Evidence-Based Policymaking. It took place 7/22. I hope you were able to take advantage of the call-in option to listen in, if you're interested in the commission!

Steve also asked for your help: The ASA is composing a list of the top statistical issues you've seen in (non-statistics) grant proposals, and we need to know what you've seen! Andrew Althouse has shared the three top issues he's encountered. Click through to the conversation and tell us what issues you've seen!

And two more conversations that started earlier in July are still growing:
    If you haven't shared your thoughts on stepwise regression yet, there's still time!

Jeff Gates is still gathering recommendations for resources to use in creating an intermediate level statistical literacy and reasoning 10-week foundation course for health science graduate students.

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association
    ------------------------------