ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-12-2016 14:52
    Hi all,

I've been asked to create an intermediate level  "statistical literacy and reasoning" 10-week foundation course for health science graduate students (....intending to take other applied stats courses later). 
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a textbook (and assessments) for such a course? I'm more familiar with integrating literacy and reasoning into my regular applied courses, not a stand-alone type format. 

Thanks for any insights!

Jeff Gates, DrPH
    Research Faculty

• 2.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-13-2016 07:45
    Jeff, even for a foundation course you have to have good applied examples; take a look at
     Elston RC, Johnson WD. (2008) Basic Biostatistics for Geneticists and Epidemiologists. London: John Wiley & Sons.
    It's too much for a 10-week course, but you may be able to choose bits of it. Whatever you do, don't buy the atrociously-priced hard-cover version; get the soft-cover one. 

Robert

• 3.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-13-2016 09:42

I think you need to teach this class from the perspective of Evidence Based Health Care, or more specifically, the critical appraisal of medical journal articles. There are a many good books that cover critical appraisal from a statistical perspective. I've written one, but a better one, perhaps, would be "Studying a study, testing a test" by Robert Riegelman. I am not familiar with the most recent edition, but the earlier editions were quite good.

------------------------------
    Stephen Simon, blog.pmean.com
    Independent Statistical Consultant
    P. Mean Consulting

• 4.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-13-2016 11:10
    Jeff,

Years ago, I along with many of the managers and engineers at the place I worked saw a 10-video-session "Statistics for Problem Solving and Decision Making" course presented by Stu Hunter and produced by Westinghouse. The course included one video and a paperback workbook per session. For the time and for my knowledge at the time, I found them quite good. Each session seemed to get to a boundary where he would point out places one should ask one's local statistician for more help. I've been unsuccessful at finding the videos anywhere (unlike his DOE videos, which JMP has nicely made available on YouTube), although I think I found evidence of some university library (Ball State?) holding a copy a few years ago. It appears the texts may be available through Amazon and Abebooks.

I imagine you wouldn't find a 1971-era video series useful for your purposes, but, if you could find a copy, you might get ideas from the general format and structure.

Bill
    --
    Bill Harris
    Data & Analytics Consultant
    Snohomish County PUD
    Everett WA
    (425) 783-1790

• 5.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-13-2016 15:19

Jeff, 

I am not overly familiar with basic texts on these subjects. But in my experience all seem to suffer from a failure to understand the ways measure employed to analyze differences in outcome rates tend to be affected by the frequency of an outcome. Inasmuch as the rate ratio and its associated relative difference are among the more fundamental measures used in analyses of health issues, I note in particular the (a) pattern whereby the rarer an outcome the greater tends to be the relative difference in experience and the smaller tends to be the relative difference in avoiding it, and (b) the corollary pattern whereby a factor that affects an outcome rate tends to cause a larger proportionate change in the rate for the group with the lower baseline rate while causing a larger proportionate change in the opposite outcome rate for the other group. Further, the rate ratio is not only an unsound, but illogical, measure of association given that when a rate ratio is the same with regard to different baseline rates it is necessarily different with regard to the opposite outcome rates.

Failure to understand the above and related patterns has undermined virtually all health disparities research as well as all subgroup analyses that rely on the assumption that departure from a constant rate ratio as indicative of a subgroup effect.

I have posted a lot of material on ASA Connect regarding these issues. Below are a few references. The is a letter urging ASA it to form a committee to address these issues. See especially pages 339-341 of reference 2 regarding the way observers draw inferences based on the comparative size of the relative difference they happening to be examining without understanding the reasons to expect the observed pattern to occur most of the time and without recognizing that the relative difference to for the opposite outcome commonly would support an opposite conclusion.

Irrespective of the validity of the broader points in the reference, it seems to me that a course on statistical literacy and reason should at least communicate that (a) there are two relative differences; (b) the two relative differences will commonly change in opposite directions as the prevalence of an outcome changes; (c) anytime a relative difference and an absolute difference have changed in opposite direction, the other relative difference will necessarily have changed in the opposite direction of the first relative difference and the same direction as the absolute difference. I am not sure than any standard text will communicate these things.

Jim Scanlan

1.Letter to American Statistical Association (Oct. 8, 2015) http://jpscanlan.com/images/Letter_to_American_Statistical_Association_Oct._8,_2015_.pdf

2. “Race and Mortality Revisited,” Society (July/Aug. 2014) http://jpscanlan.com/images/Race_and_Mortality_Revisited.pdf 

3. “The Mismeasure of Health Disparities,” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (July/Aug. 2016)http://www.jpscanlan.com/images/The_Mismeasure_of_Health_Disparities_JPHMP_2016_.pdf

4. “The Mismeasure of Health Disparities in Massachusetts and Less Affluent Places,” Quantitative Methods Seminar, Department of Quantitative Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Medical School (Nov. 18, 2015)

Abstract: http://jpscanlan.com/images/UMMS_Abstract.pdf

PowerPoint: http://jpscanlan.com/images/Univ_Mass_Medical_School_Seminar_Nov._18,_2015_.pdf

James Scanlan
    James P. Scanlan Attorney At Law

• 6.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-18-2016 07:08

Thanks everyone....both online and off. I'm exploring each of the suggested references and resources. It is a bit challenging to create appropriate content for such a foundational course for health science students (largely DNP, some DrPH) that brings graduate students "up to speed" and attempts to differentiate between master's level and doctoral level expectations. Nevertheless, thanks again for all the insights. 

Jeff Gates, DrPH
    Faculty Research

• 7.  RE: Needing insights regarding statistical literacy and reasoning

Posted 07-19-2016 05:47

Good morning Jeff,

the last issue of Significance recommended this book: An Adventure in Statistics: The Reality Enigma | SAGE Companion

Sagepub remove preview
    An Adventure in Statistics: The Reality Enigma | SAGE Companion
    Welcome to the companion website Welcome to the SAGE edge site for Andy Field's An Adventures in Statistics, first edition. This book comes with a range of resources for both students and lecturers. For students:
    View this on Sagepub >

Would that be something for your course?

Kind regards,

Christian

Christian Graf
    Dipl.-Math.
    Qualitaetssicherung & Statistik

"To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of."

Ronald Fisher in 'Presidential Address by Professor R. A. Fisher, Sc.D., F.R.S. Sankhyā: The Indian Journal of Statistics (1933-1960), Vol. 4, No. 1 (1938), pp. 14-17'