ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Standardized Testing

Posted 06-27-2016 13:52

Hi all, 

First, I'd like to briefly introduce myself... I'm the ASA's Science Policy Fellow, and my job is to promote the practice of statistics in public policy making decisions. I've just started at the ASA in the last month, but I've been enjoying following some of the discussions so far,  especially those that can be related back to policy. If anyone ever has any questions or topics that could be related, please feel free to let me know.

Now on to my main question... I got a call today asking about standardized tests and how often they are or should be re-normed. I've found some evidence online, but the answers vary from every seven years to every twenty years, and all are from older or not official sources. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Answers from members who work regularly with standardized testing are much appreciated!

------------------------------
    Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-28-2016 09:51
    This question can't be answered in the abstract -- more details are required.
    It is a lot like asking "which way should I turn?" when you get to an intersection without indicating what is your destination.
    So, test norms specify how a specific score compares to others. If you are never making comparisons to other test forms no renorming is ever necessary. If you want to compare to past or future examinees the various forms must be equated.

Usually such comparisons are only made for the recent past and the near future. Trying to compare your SAT scores with those of your children is a task based more on faith than fact.

So be specific and I'll try to help. For really expert advice, from folks long in the trenches, I would ask Neil Dorans (Ndorans@ets.org) or Paul Holland (paul.holland200@att.net].

HW

Howard Wainer
    Distinguished Research Scientist
    National Board of Medical Examiners
    3750 Market Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
    Voice - 215-590-9861
    email - hwainer@nbme.org

This email message and any attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential business information and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments.

• 3.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-28-2016 10:36

Hi Howard, 

I don't actually know a lot of the details... This is a question coming from a quick phone call that I just happened to answer. Here's what I do know... This particular school board is advocating the Iowa Test of Basic Skills as THE assessment to use. The ITBS was last used renormed in 2005. In 2012, the test was renamed and rebranded into a different test (looks like something called the Iowa Assessments), but for whatever reason, the school board wants to continue using the ITBS. It sounds like the school superintendent was looking for expert opinion regarding using the latest or renormed version so that she could convince them otherwise.

Hopefully this helps!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 4.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-29-2016 07:44

Hi Amy,

Irregardless of norming, I think the most important comment here is that it is illogical to advocate any one particular test as THE test.  To me, "the test was renamed and rebranded into a different test" speaks volumes.  Companies like Seton, ACT, etc. are in it primarily to make money.  I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that any information on just how the Iowa Tests are normed is likely proprietary.  And while there may be some underlying statistics involved in their methods, when you start in the middle of a big patch of quicksand (non interval-ratio data for sure), it's nearly impossible to find your footing on solid ground.  

Another point that might be made to this school board is that perhaps they are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to what is best for their students.  Rather than relying on the "classics" (old-school tests designed in some sense to compare one school to another, but in many senses built out of sand), perhaps they should consider newer individualized testing systems that are designed to be adaptive to the needs of an individual and not only test but provide students with interactive materials based on that testing that will help them to learn those things that they didn't already know (ALEKS is one example that comes to mind).  

Cheers,
    Joe

Joseph Nolan
    Associate Professor of Statistics
    Director, Burkardt Consulting Center
    Northern Kentucky University
    Department of Mathematics & Statistics

• 5.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-29-2016 16:17

Thanks Joe! I've gotten a ton of information but one member specifically volunteered to consult with the superintendent and help her in the right direction. Hopefully she reiterates some of these comments. Thanks again!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow

• 6.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-28-2016 15:32
    Hi Amy,

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear the answer is not simple. It will depend on how alike the current test takers are to those who originally took the test, as well as whether the definition of the construct being measured has changed over the years. For instance, many math achievement tests in K-12 aren't valid under the Common Core.

Most work in this area is done by psychometricians, experts in measurement and assessment of educational and psychological constructs. The American Psychological Association's Division 5 is a good resource.

I'd highly recommend the National Council on Measurement in Education at well. The NCME is a professional organization of psychometricians. I am a member of both organizations as well as the ASA.

If you'd like to share some more information about the specifics, I'd be happy to give you more specific information, either through the forum or offline.

Cathy

Catherine Trapani, PhD
    Psychometrician and Quantitative Methodologies
    WestEd
    Washington, DC

• 7.  RE: Standardized Testing

Posted 06-28-2016 17:37

Thanks Cathy! This is great information. I would really appreciate any contacts you'd be able to put me in touch with. My email is nussbaum@amstat.org. Thanks again!

Amy Nussbaum
    Science Policy Fellow