ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  How have you made your strongest professional connections?

Posted 05-24-2016 13:03

Hello, all!

Later this summer, more than 6,000 statisticians will converge on McCormick Place, Chicago, for JSM 2016.

But attending conferences is only one way of connecting with others professionally. What’s your preferred way of reaching out to others in your field and making connections?

Best,

Lara

(P.S. Thank you to everyone who shared how they help K-12 students get interested in statistics, the last question I reached out to you with. It was fantastic to see the work you all are doing!)

------------------------------
    Lara Harmon
    Marketing and Online Community Coordinator
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: How have you made your strongest professional connections?

Posted 05-25-2016 09:51

Attending local groups, such as the local Michigan SAS Users Group, is an excellent way to further one's knowledge, in addition to networking with other statisticians and programmers.

Brandy Sinco
    Research Associate

• 3.  RE: How have you made your strongest professional connections?

Posted 05-26-2016 11:44

I have made connections over the years by being active in local ASA chapters.  As an officer in the New Jersey Chapter (VP in the past and current President), I have the opportunity to interact with many members of the Chapter as well as numerous guest speakers we have invited to give talks.  I highly recommend becoming active in the local chapters.  Thanks.

• 4.  RE: How have you made your strongest professional connections?

Posted 05-27-2016 10:39
    Being trained as a probabilist, it was not easy for me to get involved in applied/bio- statistics.  In my early days in the 60's-70's, I met some wonderful statisticians such as John Tukey (during contract bridge sessions in ASA meetings), HO Hartley at Texas A&M (had me give a seminar and invited me for dinner with his wife and some faculty members), Henry Scheffe' (over telephone and letters), Emanuel Parzen, GEP Box (while visiting U of Wisconsin where I lectured several years as an adjunct), Jerry Cornfield (during my tenure at NIH), Charlie Dunnett (through letters and telephone), to name a few.  They all left tremendous impact on me when I reminisce as a retiree.  My gratitude to all of them and others.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 5.  RE: How have you made your strongest professional connections?

Posted 05-25-2016 10:05
    Edited by Raid Amin 05-25-2016 10:05

Earler years: attending statistics conferences worked well for me. I also got to know people at the Florida Chapter of the ASA meetings.

Now: Email and Google search are my best tools for networking to establish professional connections. Inviting some professionals to work with me on some research project usually breaks the ice.

Raid Amin
    Professor
    University of West Florida