ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-12-2016 08:34

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help about the secondary data analysis design.

I have data for a secondary analysis of an epidemiology case-control study (i.e., smoking habits and breast cancer). If I performed the analysis with variables collected at the same time of the diagnosis (i.e., cholesterol or hemoglobin levels vs. breast cancer), the design in this secondary analysis is still case-control? Or, this secondary analysis becomes a cross-sectional study with a stratified sampling design?

I appreciate you comments,

Erick

--
    Erick Suárez, PhD
    Departamento de Bioestadística y Epidemiología, Escuela Graduada de Salud Pública, RCM, Universidad de Puerto Rico
    email: erick.suarez@upr.edu
    tel  (787) 758-2525 ext. 1430

• 2.  RE: Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-13-2016 06:06

If you cannot establish that the exposures temporally preceded the development of the disease, it is a cross-sectional study.

------------------------------
    Robert Hirsch
    President
    Stat-Aid Consulting

• 3.  RE: Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-13-2016 12:52

Thank you!

Erick Suarez Perez
    School of Public Health Univ. of Puerto Rico

• 4.  RE: Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-17-2016 10:31

Yours would be a cross-sectional study.  It may be helpful to view a case-control study as a retrospective, sub-study of a cohort study, where you oversample the people from the cohort who had the event of interest, and also take an appropriate sub-sample of those without the event. In some situations, the base cohort from which the cases and controls are sampled is obvious, but in some other situations it is not so explicit.  In the latter case, it would be difficult to generalize the inference from the case-control study to the target population, since the target population is not well characterized.  You should certainly consult a good Epidemiology text such as Rothman, Greenland and Lash's Modern Epidemiology for more in-depth understanding.

Hope this is helpful,

Ravi   

Ravi Varadhan
    Johns Hopkins University

• 5.  RE: Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-19-2016 10:32

Hi.

This is the comment from Dr Moyses Szklo:

It is a case control study if cases are incident, with cross sectional ascertainment of the exposure - thus making it impossible to establish temporality. If cases are prevalent, it becomes a cross sectional case control study. 

Erick Suarez Perez
    School of Public Health Univ. of Puerto Rico

• 6.  RE: Study design in a secondary data analysis

Posted 05-18-2016 11:56

I'll add to what others have said -- just in case -- that it's still a case-control study in the sense that the sample has pre-determined the proportion of outcome vs non-outcome datapoints; so you can't draw any conclusions about risk ratios for any covariate versus breast cancer (although you still have odds ratios).

Eric Cohen