ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  DC DataFest: GMU ASA Chapter WINS 'Best Visualization' Award

Posted 04-11-2016 15:26
    Edited by Leanna Moron 04-11-2016 15:28

Hello all! I am pleased to announce that 5 undergraduate students from George Mason University's ASA student chapter (including myself) participated in the 2016 DC DataFest this past weekend. In addition, we won an award for Best Visualization! The weekend-long competition encourages undergraduate students from a wide variety of disciplines to find new and innovative ways of analyzing big data. 

The 2016 DC DataFest is sponsored by Summit Consulting, University of Maryland Alumni Association, The Joint Program in Survey Methodology, Google, Pew Research Center, D.C. American Association for Public Opinion Research, Mathematica Policy Research and the Washington Statistical Society.

8 teams from 5 different schools attended DC DataFest:

George Mason University

University of Maryland

Howard University

Montclair State University

George Washington University (4 Teams)

Awards were given out for “Best Insight”, “Best Visualization” and “Best use of Outside Data”. George Mason University’s ASA student chapter team won “Best Visualization”. Howard University and the University of Maryland’s PowerBison and Terp Soup team won “Best Insight”. George Washington University’s ANOVA’s Witnesses team won the award for “Best use of Outside Data”.

I am currently working on getting this into an AMSTAT news article. In sum, DC DataFest was a great experience to learn more about the field of data science and to meet some cool data people in the D.C. area.

The winning team for ‘Best Visualization’ award goes to students from George Mason University's ASA student chapter. From left to right: Mo Abouissa, Vinh Mai, Amen Houenouvi, Leanna Moron, Professor John Morgan Russell from GMU’s statistics department, and Sam Brady.

------------------------------
    Leanna Moron
    President, George Mason University's ASA student chapter

• 2.  RE: DC DataFest: GMU ASA Chapter WINS 'Best Visualization' Award

Posted 04-12-2016 09:17

Coudl/would you post your winning visualization, please?

Sharon Hessney
    AP Statistics teacher
    MA Math & Science Initiative

• 3.  RE: DC DataFest: GMU ASA Chapter WINS 'Best Visualization' Award

Posted 04-12-2016 09:22

I can not at this point since there are still more datafests going on across the country for this year. 

Leanna Moron