ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  CITI type reproducibility module?

Posted 03-18-2016 12:02

Greetings, ASA folk.   As a faculty biostatistician in a cancer center, I see a desperate need for education in reproducibility.   There are good articles out there, like

http://www.nature.com/news/how-scientists-fool-themselves-and-how-they-can-stop-1.18517

and

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/science-isnt-broken/#part2

Giving talks on these topics is relatively low-impact, even as part of medical fellows' education.

It occurs to me that a brief module as part of CITI or other courses for PHS-funded researchers would be a good idea.  

Or maybe journals could require completing the module for corresponding authors or even all authors!

Anyone know about modules being developed, or other efforts in this vein?

Thanks,

-Brenda Kurland

• 2.  RE: CITI type reproducibility module?

Posted 03-25-2016 07:39

Greetings Brenda,

I am currently attending the Center for Open Science's Stakeholder Meeting. I learned yesterday that folks at NIH and NSF are aware of the need for training in Reproducible Research and are keen to add something to the Responsible Conduct of Research modules. As far as I know, however, there are no CITI modules currently available.

The Center for Open Science does have a "Reproducible Research Evangelist" and a "Data and Research Methods Statistical Consultant" who travel to provide trainings in reproducible research. I have invited both to visit LISA (Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis) and provide training to the LISA statistical collaborators on reproducible workflow and reproducible research. Their visits have been great! They are excellent trainers and great people to work with.

I would love to see collaborative statisticians spread reproducible research practices among the scientists we work with. Statisticians are perfectly positioned to encourage such practices to improve the quality and efficiency of science.

------------------------------
    Eric Vance
    Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA)
    Director and Associate Research Professor
    Blacksburg VA, United States