ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-24-2016 05:52

Hi,
    When you have Variance heterogeneity (with original or log-transformed scale), what would it be the most recommended test for multiple pairwise comparisons. Is it recommended to use several Mann-Whitney tests corrected with the  Bonferroni method? 
    Erick

--
    Erick Suárez, PhD
    Departamento de Bioestadística y Epidemiología, Escuela Graduada de Salud Pública, RCM, Universidad de Puerto Rico
    email: erick.suarez@upr.edu
    tel  (787) 758-2525 ext. 1430

• 2.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 09:16

Hello,

I suggest using a mixed model where you model the heterogeneity in variance.  Such an analysis is relatively easy to do with most major software packages (e.g., SAS, R, SPSS, STATA).

Good luck,

------------------------------
    Robert Podolsky
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

• 3.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 09:55

You have several options under variance heterogeneity in analysis of variance (ANOVA):

1. For one-way ANOVA for balanced or almost balanced designs, the F-statistic is robust as long as the heterogeneity tail probability is very small (such as <0.01 level).  In such cases, many pair-wise comparison tests (such as Dunnett's many-on-one t-test), Games and Howell modified Tukey-Kramer honestly significant test and several others using the Studentized range statistic are still appropriate.

2. When variance heterogeneity is severe, you might try rank (RT-1) transformation of the data that often produces homogeneity.  After that, you can do any group comparison test as above on rank transformed data.  See the classical paper by Conover and Iman (circa 1980) on rank transformation as a bridge between parametric and nonparametric statistics.

3. Alternatively, can do Kruskal-Wallis ANOVA and follow with Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney rank-sum test.

4. One can also do permutation (exact) tests under such situations.  However, when the sample sizes are not "large", although exact, these tests suffer from lack of power.

When using parametric pair-wise comparisons with heterogeneity, the degrees of freedom for such tests is often adjusted by many using either Welch's or Satterthwaite's degrees of freedom.  Bonferroni adjustment for more than a couple of comparisons makes the test makes the tests very conservative (hardly any power) whether one uses a two-sample t-test or nonparametric Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney rank-sum test.

If I am facing such a situation, I would use the Option 2 above because we have a plethora of multiple comparison tests.  A good review would be Rupert Miller's Multiple Comparison book and Dixon and Massey's text book.

Hope this helps.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.

Retired Statistician

Ajit Thakur
    Associate Director

• 4.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 10:10

Because the subject line here is "Variance heterogeneity in ANOVA," I assume your research question has led you to compare J means. And it seems you want to protect all J*(J-1)/2 pairwise comparisons under a single familywise alpha level.

Let's consider comparing groups 1 and 3, that is, assessing (ybar1 - ybar3).

If you believed that all J variances are equal, then you could use the standard two-sample t statistic, but substitute the pooled estimate of the common variance (DFE = N-J) to estimate SE(ybar1 - ybar3), where SE is "standard error." This is just the contrast [1 0 -1 0 ...0]*mu, where mu is the vector of J means.

But when the variances are not equal, the pooled SE(ybar1 - ybar3) will be biased up or down depending on the how the J sample sizes pair up with the J true variances. It's a long story, but we don't need to cover it.

Fortunately, you can assess (ybar1 - ybar3) quite well with the common Welch t test, which makes no HoV assumption and only uses the variances from groups 1 and 3 to properly estimaate SE(ybar1 - ybar3). In R's t.test(), var.equal = FALSE is the default. In my teaching, I've done many Monte Carlo studies on this test and it works surprisingly well even under vivid non-Normality (even with Y ~ Bernoulli) and n's surprisingly small. (No I will NOT give a number). The Central Limit Theorem *usually* rescues us much sooner than most people believe. But that's another long story.

Switching to the Wilcox-Mann-Whitney test changes the research question! Instead you would be assessing theta = Prob[Y1 < Y3] + P[Y1 = Y3]/2. In spite of what you may read in many texts, the WMW test does NOT compare medians (or any other quantile) unless you are willing to assume the so-called "location shift" model, which is rarely tenable in practice, and in this case (unequal group variances), completely untenable. Whenever this condition supports using the WMW to compare medians (and get a Hodges-Lehmann CI), it also supports using the WMW to compare MEANS, but we never see anyone advocating using the MWM test to compare means. Another long story.

Whether to assess all J*(J-1)/2 Welch t statistics using the Bonferroni correction is a separate issue. I taught that 35 years ago, but have long considered this to be a wishy-washy practice. Instead I create tight, custom statistical hypotheses to address the research hypotheses (hardly a novel idea), and take each one to be its own family. If a statistical hypothesis requires 2 contrasts to cover the research hypothesis, then I might well use alpha.family/2. But most of the time, I can address a research question tightly by forming a single contrast, so no Bonferroni adjustment is needed. This leads to a specific relationship between each research question and each analysis. It also can greatly increase the statistical power. For J=4, using 0.05/6 = 0.0083 for each test (or using 99.2% CIs) just increases the Type II error rate (or the CI coverage rate) way too much in most cases. Of course, all this should be done when the study is planned, thus forcing the content researchers and the statisticians to collaborate when it will do the most good. Another long story.

Of course, the Bayesians were just chuckling as they read over all this (archaic) frequentist logic--if they even bothered to do so. And they are correct. Even a longer story.

Ralph O'Brien
    Professor of Biostatistics (officially retired; still keenly active)
    Case Western Reserve University

• 5.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-26-2016 22:23

If the data in your groups have unequal variances, but otherwise are reasonably normally distributed, then it may be inefficient to use nonparametric approaches, and more efficient to take a mixed-models approach. Once upon a time, I had data from an experiment in rats, where the data for each group had clearly unequal variances but otherwise was reasonably normally distributed. What I did using SAS was, first I added to my data set a variable called _dummy_, which consisted of a vector of all 1's, nothing else. Then I used the Repeated statement in SAS Proc Mixed with _dummy_ as my repeated-measures variable and with a "group=" option to model unequal group variances. Finally, I added to the model statement the "ddfm=" option to tell SAS to use the Satterthwaite method to compute denominator degrees of freedom. My pairwise comparisons conducted in this manner matched exactly the results I obtained by doing pairwise Welch's t-tests, plus this approach gave me the ability to do something I could not have done otherwise: estimate an interaction term (i.e., a difference of the differences) in the presence of the unequal variances. The SAS code is copy-pasted below:

proc mixed data=bmdrat;

class subject_id groups _dummy_;

model change = groups /ddfm=satterth;

repeated _dummy_ /subject=subject_id group=groups;

lsmeans groups;

estimate 'CONO-CONY' groups 1 -1 0 0;

estimate 'HSO-HSY ' groups 0 0 1 -1;

estimate 'CONO-HSO ' groups 1 0 -1 0;

estimate 'CONY-HSY ' groups 0 1 0 -1;

estimate 'interaction' groups 1 -1 -1 1;

run;

Above, the treatment variable is called "groups", and the four groups are:

CONO: Control rats, old age,

CONY: Control rats, young age,

HSO: Treated rats, old age,

HSY: Treated rats, young age.

As you can see, "groups" is really a concatenation of two factors, treatment and age, which is why I was interested in estimating their interaction.

Subject_ID is the subject ID, of course, and _dummy_ is the dummy repeated-measures variable.

Eric Siegel, MS
    Research Associate
    Department of Biostatistics
    Univ. Arkansas Medical Sciences

• 6.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 15:45

The major problem with variance heterogeneity in ANOVA is that you lose power.  Sheffe's book provides the formulas.  Don't be fooled by the supposed robustness of the F test.  The F test is "robust" in the sense that, under the null hypothesis, the true probability of the tails is less than or equal to the p-value you want.  The loss of power is considerable.  If, in a two way ANOVA, the ratio of the maximum variance within blocks to the minimum, if that ratio is 10:1, then nominal 90% power is reduced to less than 60% power.  H. Fairfield Smith proposed an easily implemented fix for variance heterogeneity.  Calculate your test statistic within each block.  Combine those test statistics in a Mantel-Haenzel fashion.  Overall test statistic = (sum of mean differences)/sqrt(sum of within block variances).

David Salsburg

• 7.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 16:01

Hi Erick,

I would suggest taking a look at the following article:

Games, P. A., & Howell, J. F. (1976). Pairwise multiple comparisons procedures with unequal n's or variances: A Monte Carlo study. Journal of Educational Statistics, 1, 113-125.

They end up recommending the use of Studentized range with un-pooled variances and adjusted degrees of freedom. One big advantage of a parametric approach like this over a nonparametric approach like Mann-Whitney is that it allows the construction of simultaneous confidence intervals for the pairwise mean differences.

Charles Lewis
    Educational Testing Service

• 8.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 16:32

You might want to look at:

Brown, M.B., and Forsythe, A.B.   “The ANOVA and multiple comparisons for data with heterogeneous variances”.   Biometrics 30, 719-724, 1974.

Brown, M.B., and Forsythe, A.B.   “The small sample behavior of some statistics which tests the equality of several means”.  Technometrics 16, 129-132, 1974.

Alan Forsythe

• 9.  RE: Variance heterogeneity in Anova

Posted 02-25-2016 16:36

If you don't feel a standard ANOVA is appropriate (even with a variance-stabilizing transformation), you can do the entire analysis nonparametrically, with a Kruskal-Wallis (or Friedman, if you have a blocked one-way ANOVA) test, followed by a nonparametric multiple comparisons test.  There's an R package (PMCMR) for that.

>>Kathy

Katherine Godfrey