ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-03-2015 23:58

In the literature on competing risks, I've come across two slightly different definitions of a competing risk event: 

1) A competing risk event is one that precludes the event of interest from ocurring; 

2) A competing risk event either modifies the probability of occurrence of the event of interest or prevents the event of interest from ocurring. 

My questions are: 

A. Are both definitions acceptable? 

B. Should one definition be preferred over the other and why?

Many thanks, 

Isabella

------------------------------
    Isabella Ghement
    Ghement Statistical Consulting Company Ltd.

• 2.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-04-2015 10:15

You hypothesize that A is a causal factor for C but any uncontrolled B is a competing risk. That is, A and B are correlated. E.g., SIDS is associated with mother being a smoker but smoking is associated with various socio-economic factors (e.g., education level) any of which is a competing risk for SIDS. In non-experimental research, an effort is made to control competing risks by selection, adjustment, post-stratification (propensity score analysis), etc. Note that the competing risk may or may not nullify the effect of A but may modify it (up or down). For example, with a suppressor variable, the effect of A may only be detected in the presence of B. True experiments achieve control by randomization (that is, A and B are correlated by chance alone).

Chauncey Dayton

• 3.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-07-2015 11:20

Both definitions are acceptable, but are obviously different. Competing risks as per the first definition are "classical competing risks."  A great example is the study of causes of mortality in demography.  Death from stroke would preclude death from cancer, for example.  The second definition is obviously broader and includes the first. A good example is the illness-death model, where there are 3 states: healthy, ill, dead.  A person who becomes ill has a different probability of death than the person who is healthy.  This is also known as "semi-competing risks" in the sense that illness alters the probability of death, whereas if a person dies from a healthy state, he/she cannot become ill (at least, not in this life!).

Ravi Varadhan
    Johns Hopkins University

• 4.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-07-2015 17:58

I do not care for the second definition, at least not as described by Chauncey Dayton.  I can argue with myself, but I prefer to separate "confounding", which seems to be more what Chauncey describes, from classical competing risks which Ravi describes.

Raoul Burchette
    Biostatistician III
    Kaiser Permanente, Pasadena, CA USA

• 5.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-13-2015 18:10

#1 is a subset of #2. (Modifying the probability can be setting it to zero.) So #2 is the choice.

Robert Riffenburgh
    Naval Medical Center

• 6.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-14-2015 13:41

Definition #2 may subsume definition #1, but it adds no clarity. How does one distinguish definition #2 from confounding (or interaction or effect modification or mediation or moderation)? 

Perhaps we need new definitions for #1 as a special case, or a different definition for #2.  Definition #1 is a particularly interesting special case.

Raoul Burchette
    Biostatistician III
    Kaiser Permanente, Pasadena, CA USA

• 7.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-15-2015 12:09

I think definition 2 is meaningful when it is clear that the semi-competing event alters, not just the probability, but also the meaning and interpretation of the primary event of interest.  Take an instance of the illness-death model: healthy-disabled-dead.  When a person becomes physically disabled, their probability of (all-cause) death increases.  But, now the problem has also changed significantly in the sense that we may not care about the probability of death for those who are disabled. Thus, disability actually acts "as if" it is a competing event, even though it is only semi-competing in the strictest sense.  Does this make sense?    

Ravi Varadhan
    Johns Hopkins University

• 8.  RE: Definitions of competing risks

Posted 12-16-2015 09:56

Dr. Vardhan's responses are the best.  In a competing risk scenario, exposure to 'A' may be affected by exposure to 'B' as follows:

1. Additive effect: Effects of the two  are simple additive i.e. Effect of ('A' +'B') = Effect of 'A' +Effect of 'B'.

2. Multiplicative or synergistic effect: Effect of ('A'+'B') = k * (Effect of 'A' +Effect of 'B'), where k>=1.

3. Antisynergistic effect: Same as 2 with k<=1.

All three of the above phenomena are well established in biomedical and environmental sciences.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.

Ajit Thakur, Ph.D.
    Associate Director, Retired