ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-12-2015 10:59

Hello,

I just saw an announcement for a job on the AMSTAT email system for which a Ph.D. in Mathematics would qualify.

Since I am retired I have no interest in the job but I wondered about something. Perhaps, some one would be interested in

updating me on this.

I got a Ph.D. in Mathematics in 1969 in the money days launched by Sputnik in 1957 and culminating in 1969 with our landing on the moon

and discovering the earth. 

While their were jobs in Mathematics teaching until then,  the market closed and you began to hear Ph.D.s were a "dime a dozen" and people driving taxi cabs.

Of course, I am being general and making a sort of broad statement about conditions.

However, I think  in many areas,  Math in particular,  the market has always been tight ever since then.  I moved on to the business work and had a much more interesting life, at least for me,  so I am grateful for a life of rich experience.  I had expected to teach Calculus at  least 120 times but stopped at about 40 counting part time evening jobs.

Nevertheless, I would guess the Math depts.. and others are still going full production teaching everything from Numerical Analysis to Watermelon Theory and importing students to listen to the professors.  This I would say is true in a broad area of science and engineering.  I conjecture the bill for this is largely footed by the American citizens.

Any comments?  In particular, is my general impression correct about Math Ph.D. market?  I think today the successful young person must have a combination of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science and particularly Database and SQL knowledge.  Many universities have long recognized this and have practical,  job focused programs combining these areas.  SAS sponsors a program like this in some universities and I am sure the movement is more general.

Greg Dobbins

• 2.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-13-2015 10:23

Greg,

interesting post. But I believe that a number of your assumptions about math in academe today (and about academe) are incorrect. As I am preparing for class beyond the time I should retire for the night, I will not attempt to say more; I am sure others will be tempted to do in response. However, you might find it interesting, if feasible, to plan a friendly visit to the nearest university department of mathematics to compare notes respecting "then and now".

Andrew

------------------------------
    Andrew Tierman
    Saginaw Valley State University

• 3.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-13-2015 15:08
    I think the influx of excellent mathematicians from former soviet
    bloc countries had a big impact on the market for mathematicians after
    the fall of the Berlin Wall. There were many fewer statisticians ,
    because being a statistician was dangerous in the Soviet Union (you knew
    too much, and couldn't travel). So all the talent went into math and
    probability.
    Jay Kadane

• 4.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-14-2015 17:07

I am one of those PhD's in math who wrote a thesis in probability, taught at universities and then at a medical school and ended up as a clinical trials biostatistician first working in cancer and now in heart disease. I find the math background always influences how I look at problems and never thought I'd have been "better off" had I done my degree in a less mathematical area (e.g. biostatistics).   Most people who know me think I've done pretty well.  I have never looked back!

Nancy Geller
    Director
    Office of Biostatistics Research

National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute

2011 ASA President

• 5.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-15-2015 19:07

For an interesting first-hand account of a statistician who had a math Ph.D. in probability but took advantage of other opportunities to learn statistics, see http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/mks/PWMJMemorial/Peter_John2003Quality.pdf

Martha Smith
    University of Texas

• 6.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-14-2015 09:36

I would be interested to know what you mean by PhD in Mathematics? I know that sounds like a funny question. But, there is a point to it. Suppose I want to get a PhD in Operations Research. Some universities will offer OR as an area of specialization/research in the math department. Some offer it through the business school. Many usually offer it through the Industrial Engineering department.

I also saw a PhD in mathematics where the specialization was atmospheric sciences or physics. Speaking of which, Brian Greene and Stephen Hawking are both physicists with academic appointments in math departments. 

Some universities offer a PhD in Applied Mathematics, a PhD in Mathematics and a PhD in Statistics. Meanwhile, another student taking the same courses from another university will get a PhD in Mathematics.

I know some people that have MS degrees in computer science that consider themselves mathematicians and some PhD mathematicians that consider themselves computer scientists (cuz it pays more).

Which is why I ask. 

Andrew Ekstrom

• 7.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-15-2015 14:14

Phd in Mathematics is essential nevertheless it is not a must unless one wants to  take up a teaching or researching role in a tertiary institution. In the world of academia Phd is of a high priority but in the business world Phd or other terminal degrees are a plus not a priority since the business world value work experience much more than terminal degrees. It is likely that Phd in Mathematics in the early days had one or a few concentrations (correct me if I'm wrong) but presently Phd in Mathematics have a lot of concentrations/specializations ranging from abstract mathematics(such as topology and complex analysis) to applied Mathematics in the business and engineering fields. Phd is still essential nevertheless Mathematicians who work in the business field tend to focus on attaining the high professional qualifications/certifications rather than the highest academic qualification.

Kofi Ansong-Dwamena

• 8.  RE: Ph.D.s in Mathematics

Posted 10-15-2015 14:17

Hi all,

When I went to a workshop in 2006 on how to apply to graduate school in undergrad, I was at an institution where Math and Stats were in the same department. Lots of us students took both areas and so naturally the question came up, which field had more opportunities for employment? We were told that if good employment was the primary goal, statistics was the better field to get into unless you went in something very applied, like Financial Mathematics. In the scuttlebutt I heard - the department had quite an easy time hiring Math faculty and adjuncts, but a much more difficult time hiring for Stats positions. 

-Max
    Max Nevill
    Analyst