ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  How to answera question about statistical testing

Posted 09-02-2015 07:13

Hi! friends of Statistics,

Many statisticians know about this difficulty, all should know how to answer it.

With N, the sample size, growing, the more often a test of hypothesis will tend to be rejected. Wrongly in many cases, needless to say. That is the main reason why no statistical testing is possible with big data.

Strange enough! How would you answer a question on that difficulty of statistical testing theory?

------------------------------
    Marc Bourdeau
    Ecole Polytechnique

• 2.  RE: How to answera question about statistical testing

Posted 09-02-2015 10:36

Here's my answer:  "How big is big?" is simply not an intrinsic property of the data.  It takes subject matter knowledge and how important an effect might be for a particular objective (which can change over time).  The same data can serve multiple purposes.

If it only took data, we wouldn't need any phoney-baloney scientists and managers.  Armed with the universal confidence level of 95% (or alpha at 5%), we as statisticians would be able analyze the data and make all of the decisions necessary.  (Yes, I'm being facetious.)

Jim

Jim Baldwin
    Station Statistician
    USDA-Forest Service

• 3.  RE: How to answera question about statistical testing

Posted 09-03-2015 17:38

My answer: Focus on effect estimation, not hypothesis testing. Larger samples will (assuming other things equal) give better effect estimates. Then use the effect estimate, not to judge "statistical significance," but to judge "practical significance."

Martha Smith
    University of Texas