ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Announcing a New Book: Leadership and Women in Statistics

Posted 08-31-2015 11:24

Announcing a New Book:    Leadership and Women in Statistics
    Chapman & Hall Press,
    ISBN: 13:978-1-4822-3644-6;  xvi + 456

This is an edited volume of 27 chapters on a broad range of topics relating to Leadership with special emphasis on Women. With the growth of data science in almost every field of application, statisticians need to take a leadership role. This should not come as a surprise because statisticians have a long history of leadership in agriculture (design of experiments), in engineering (acceptance sampling), in medicine (random clinical trials), in education (tests and measurement) and many more. How can women participate in this growth? This book provides guidelines that will be helpful for both women and men in their professional path. The Editors (Amanda Golbeck, Ingram Olkin, and Yulia Gel) have succeeded in obtaining thoughtful (and at times personal) discussions by leaders in different work environments: government, industrial, and academic, from multi-cultural perspectives, and from different work priorities. This is a book you will want to keep on your shelf and refer to over and over again as you develop your leadership in the course of your career.

------------------------------
    Amanda Golbeck
    Professor
    University of Montana

• 2.  RE: Announcing a New Book: Leadership and Women in Statistics

Posted 08-31-2015 12:32

Sounds like a great book Amanda! are you active (or familiar) with the INFORMS professional society? they have been my professional family for over 25 years now - and their data scientists, operation researchers and management science career sections are also promoting women.  I'd be happy to help promote your book on social media sites there and on my linked in page too.  meanwhile, if you are't yet familiar with INFORMS check us out here WORMS - INFORMS

again - congrats on finishing your book!  with all the STEM emphasis in education I trust your words will be read!

Informs remove preview
    WORMS - INFORMS
    Established in 1995, the purpose of the Forum for Women in OR/MS is: To encourage interest in the field of operations research and the management sciences To encourage discussion and interaction among individuals having interest in the issues facing women and their relationship to the profession of operations research and the management sciences To advise the INFORMS Board on aspects of issues facing women in the profession of operations research and the management sciences and to keep the INFORMS Board apprised of developments in this area Get the word out!
    View this on Informs >

Mary Crissey
    Operations Researcher
    Analytic Focus, LLC