ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 01-30-2015 15:22
    Hello there,

I am wondering if anyone can refer me to an Advanced R programming book or  other resources. I am interested in using R codes to work with multiple files at a time and get a unique output at the end. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated

-------------------------------------------
    Alassane Savadogo
    Student

• 2.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-01-2015 07:40

Alassane,

I opened your post thinking it was a review or other commentary on the book I am reading, "Advanced R", by Hadley Wickham (CRC Press). While I think this book is great, it may or may not be what you want. "Advanced R" does not require a great deal of R expertise on the part of the reader, but some familiarity is necessary.

What do you mean by "work with multiple files at a time?" If by this you mean looping through 100's or even 1,000's of text files to process them into a single dataset, then perhaps a different programming language like Python would be a better choice.

What do you mean by "unique output?" This could dictate the use of R.

David Wesley, M.D.
    VP, Director Medical Research

• 3.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-02-2015 10:55
    Hadley's "Advanced R" book is an excellent resource. I've been programming in R for 10+ years and am amazed at the number of useful ideas in the book that I had never tried before, many of which would have saved me endless frustration in the past. In particular the entire discussion of S3 and S4 objects.

Robert Yerex
    Senior Data Scientist
    UVA Medical System

• 4.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-02-2015 14:17
    You might find my book, "R Quick Syntax Reference", useful. The book gives a lot of syntax for S3 R, plus lists of many statistical and mathematical functions. ------------------------------------------- Margot Tollefson Consultant Vanward Statistics -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-03-2015 16:41
    You might look at The Art of R Programming by Norman Matloff. I would not call it "advanced" but it may be appropriate to your problem. It sounds like you need a loop over some files with processing and aggregation...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Programming-Statistical-Software/dp/1593273843

Kent Johnson

• 6.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-04-2015 13:00
    I have a related question:  Is there a book (or online resource) that shows how to link R and Python, in both directions, using (e.g.) rpy2?  My scientific community is totally wedded to Python, and thus loses out on R's vast statistical capabilities unless then habitually link to R/CRAN functions.  

Eric Feigelson
    Professor of Astronomy & Astrophysics and of Statistics
    Pennsylvania State University

• 7.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-05-2015 07:01
    Eric:

In the past, I've gotten all my questions answered by the good documentation on sourceforge (e.g., http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy2/doc-dev/html/introduction.html). Is there something missing from those docs?

Paul Teetor
    Quantitative Developer
    ElginILUnited States

• 8.  RE: Advanced R Programming Book

Posted 02-05-2015 10:58
    Hey there Eric - 

I'm looking into this myself for the same reasons. As you might recall, I do much of my analytic work in SAS - now using the free SAS University Edition. So, I have no shortage of analytic capabilities.

However, as you have mentioned, most people aren't using SAS in this space. Nancy Morrison and I have been working in R as well. While SAS University Edition is still my first choice, you might want to look at anaconda for advanced statistical analysis in a python environment. It now has a very wide variety of good statistical packages. 

David Corliss

Rapid Response Team / Predictive Analytics
    Ford Motor Company

Physics and Astronomy
    Wayne State University