ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-07-2015 09:57

Ron Wasserstein's recent blog entry on www.Stats.org explains the difference between odds and probability (www.stats.org/?p=1442). While the audience could be anyone, the column focuses on reporters. We'd like to have additional pieces aimed towards improving the accuracy of writing about statistical concepts.

Do you have any ideas for such a column? Have you recently seen statistical misperceptions or errors in the media? If so, please share them with me: pierson@amstat.org.

Best,
    Steve 

-------------------------------------------
    Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 2.  RE: Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-08-2015 10:00
    Steve, you're probably going to get a long list of suggestions. I have two items to consider for dissemination to journalists: the importance of understanding base rate and false positive issues when reporting clinical findings, particularly those that are gleaned from large-scale studies; and the dangers of accepting at face value the many interesting but possibly misleading correlations that are derived from "big data" and reported out on what seems to be a daily basis on the 'Net and the 24-hour news cycle.
    Timothy Armistead

• 3.  RE: Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-09-2015 10:07
    correlation vs causality

--
    Ellen Hertzmark
    (617) 432-4597 (kresge 801. - tues and thurs about 11 to about 3 )
    (617) 432-1200 (1635 tremont st - mon about 12 to about 4, wed, about 11 to about 3)

days and times shown here are more accurate than those on my voice greetings.

please call before coming to an office (and be aware that i sometimes switch days).

(617) 734-6245 (home -  any time except sundown friday to 1 hour after sundown saturday))

• 4.  RE: Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-12-2015 08:13
    Steve,  While not new, one of my classic favorites was the now defunct Hechinger's home improvement stores advertising that 85% of their employees had an average of 15 years experience in home repairs.

Also, kudos to Ron who excercised considerable self restraint in the last sentence of his piece on odds and probability.  I'll bet he was tempted to write  "Both concepts are often difficult....but odds are that odds are usually harder.

Barry Nussbaum
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

• 5.  RE: Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-13-2015 10:13
    While they might have abused statistics, Hechinger's was and remains in my mind as the best of the box home stores. When I tell Susan that I am about to go off to Home Depot, I often mistakenly say I'm off to Hechinger's

Jonas Ellenberg
    Emeritus Professor of Biostatistics
    University of Pennsylvania-School of Medicine

• 6.  RE: Reporters and Statistics

Posted 01-13-2015 10:14
    While they might have abused statistics, Hechinger's was and remains in my mind as the best of the box home stores. When I tell Susan that I am about to go off to Home Depot, I often mistakenly say I'm off to Hechinger's

Jonas Ellenberg
    Emeritus Professor of Biostatistics
    University of Pennsylvania-School of Medicine